Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you do more than one grad class a semester?
I'm currently taking one grad class a semester at Amberton.
There is SO much writing.
I have no idea how anyone takes more than one grad class a semester - especially people who have more work hours and family obligations than I do.

I want to take 2 classes next semester but I'm worried I won't have the time or energy.

Where do you find the time and the motivation?

I guess I could work some more on the weekends, but I'm usually house-cleaning and doing chores and family stuff.

How do you manage? Do you buy more time from the time-Gods? If so, how much they charging these days?
kevinmane Wrote:I'm currently taking one grad class a semester at Amberton.
I have no idea how anyone takes more than one grad class a semester - especially people who have more work hours and family obligations than I do.

I want to take 2 classes next semester but I'm worried I won't have the time or energy.

I guess I could work some more on the weekends, but I'm usually house-cleaning and doing chores and family stuff.

How do you manage? Do you buy more time from the time-Gods? If so, how much they charging these days?

I don't think it's possible to have it all / do it all simultaneously. I think a person can do most everything they want if they can be patient and do it sequentially instead.
I took 2 grad classes at a time while working part time, my hubby is taking 1 grad class at a time working full time - but we did it one at a time. I did mine first, the month I graduated he started. We both have a lot of volunteer obligations beyond what people pay us for- as well as kid stuff and house stuff, homeschooling, sports, etc. so it takes coordination of our schedules just to make sure everyone is fed lol, but I'll be honest, I get a charge out of being busy (not busy that I'm drowning, but busy enough that I'm not surfing Netflix looking for something to kill an hour) so, I found my school work stimulating, and so there was a pay off. I could have done 3 classes if I were single, but I think for adults, you just have to do what you can with what you can. There's only so much plate spinning a normal person can do!

It's time management, I have issues with it and so I try to get as much done and the sense of urgency has to be there to assist in completing things on a deadline. Did you read the post earlier, mskeaton90 finished 80 credits in a month!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

I guess it also depends on the school/program. The professors in my program seem to emphasis learning to write concisely. We write in an executive summary style. Sometimes I find it more difficult to say all I have to say in one to two pages than in 6-10. My trouble is more with all the reading and other work.

The trick is learning to weed out the fluff and focus on important subjects and using your research as your friend. I find a large chunks of my papers when I had write them consisted of research that filled large chunks. Unless you are writing a dissertation, you are not expected to have much original thought anyway.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
You aren't alone Kevinmane. I had these grand ideas. I wanted to finish early by doing 2 or even 3 classes at a time. No can do. I am just doing one class a semester. Working full time, plus being part of a kettlebell lifting team plus coaching takes alot of time. Right now it is too much. So it is just one class at a time for me. I'll just graduate a little later. Doesn't mean I am not trying to get a job within that field already. (I have an interview for a clinical research assistant position on Tues!)
When I am not studying - https://youtu.be/C-kk8xa0BLQ

MS in Public Health at SNHU in progress. Expected Grad Date - August 2017

Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified -2014, Ice Chamber Kettlebell Sport Certified - 2015

NCSF Personal Trainer -2010

Done! BS in LIBERAL STUDIES From Excelsior. Conferral Date - Dec 18, 2009!

Licensed Practical Nurse - 1996

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits
Excelsior Exams - Organizational Behavior(B), World Population (A), Ethics (A), Cultural Diversity (B),Psychology of A&A (A), Gerontology (B)
DSST -Drugs & Alcohol (A), Civil War (A), Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (A), Social Psychology (A)
Penn Foster- Info Lit (passed)

What classes have you taken at Amberton?
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

From what I've seen, non-traditional schools often require a lot of writing as a way to make their programs appear rigorous. I look at it as busy work. My master's and PhD (almost finished, just need dissertation) were completed at traditional schools. I don't have children, but I was able to take two classes and work full-time (I did work part-time for two years of my PhD program, but I also took three courses per semester during one of those years). My master's was online, but my PhD is on ground, so I had to spend additional time in the classroom. One of my classmates in my master's program held a full-time job and had children, and he was able to take three courses in an 8-week session. I like to avoid taking courses at schools that require an excessive amount of writing.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I am currently working full-time with a 1hr drive each way and taking 3 classes in the summer semester (ENMU)and attempting* to handle family obligation and bring a new invention to market and it is literally mind numbing. I have zero time to do much and trying to survive on 4.5 hours a sleep per night. I actually, would not suggest it. I don't lack motivation just time in a day to successfully execute plans. I have an A in 2 of my classes and failing one, so I better get back to it now.

If you happen to see the time-god's please send them my way, I am exhausted! If you think it is possible go for it, otherwise pace yourself. Yikes!
OP, thank you for asking this because I wondered the exact same thing!

Sanantone, I adore you... but I'm not even close to your level of excelling - maybe some day! I like to learn, but I am just not a natural learner like some on here are. How do you go about finding out which programs are going to require an excessive amount of writing? I had an A on my Capstone, but I hate writing and its literally a lot of pain to type that much with my back issues.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
SweetSecret Wrote:OP, thank you for asking this because I wondered the exact same thing!

Sanantone, I adore you... but I'm not even close to your level of excelling - maybe some day! I like to learn, but I am just not a natural learner like some on here are. How do you go about finding out which programs are going to require an excessive amount of writing? I had an A on my Capstone, but I hate writing and its literally a lot of pain to type that much with my back issues.

There is a website where students upload syllabi. You can also ask a professor or chair of a department if they will send you syllabi. Some colleges may even have all the syllabi on their website. If there are multiple online reviews complaining about excessive work, then it's probably true.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,284 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,409 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,063 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Time to start thinking post grad, and don’t know where to start Insert Name 7 955 07-09-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Looking for online Grad Cert. or Masters Program RoliJoli 4 1,107 03-27-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  New Amberton Grad Cert ss20ts 0 554 03-25-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  IUBH - Another low cost European Grad option posabsolute 18 5,975 03-21-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: JPN
Exclamation Reading through this board for cheap grad schools but don't see MITx or Coursera??? Randyb100 30 4,652 12-06-2022, 06:27 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  40 Low GPA Grad Schools & Advice to Help You Get In LevelUP 8 1,339 11-08-2022, 11:50 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Walden Tempo Criminal Justice/grad school redheadguy03 6 1,092 10-31-2022, 03:27 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret