Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does the residency wavier free work?
My TESU enrollment is up in January. Let's say I can't graduate by December, what would have to do? Would I have to pay the residency wavier twice (once for one year, once for graduation)? Would I need to enroll in a course to TECEP to stay active? 

Also when does it count the one year? Your enrollment date or the date of your first course or something else?

Please explain all this. Thanks.
Enrollment and the residency waiver are completely separate. You have one year from applying to become enrolled, or lose your catalog and have to apply again. After you become enrolled by taking a course or TECEP, you have one year to either graduate, or take another course or TECEP to extend your enrollment.

After you apply to graduate, you pay the residency waiver. If you pay the residency waiver for one degree, like an associate's, you have up to a year to graduate with another, like a bachelor's, without paying the waiver again.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(05-16-2019, 01:11 PM)natshar Wrote: My TESU enrollment is up in January. Let's say I can't graduate by December, what would have to do? Would I have to pay the residency wavier twice (once for one year, once for graduation)? Would I need to enroll in a course to TECEP to stay active? 

Also when does it count the one year? Your enrollment date or the date of your first course or something else?

Please explain all this. Thanks.

What Davewill said, plus - just to be REALLY clear - the residency waiver payment does not renew your enrollment. I asked about this recently. My enrollment is up soon. I had thought of maybe locking in my associates by paying the waiver fee and then continuing classes for my bachelors. But they said paying the residency waiver doesn't go towards renewing enrollment. you will still have to renew your enrollment by either:
1) registering for a TECEP exam
2) requesting a 'catalog extension'
3) taking an actual class at tesu

so if your ENROLLMENT period comes to an end before your expected graduation, you need to plan to do one of those things above in order to keep yourself as an active/enrolled student status at TESU.... then when you are ready to graduate, you would pay the RESIDENCY waiver fee.
All this makes sense. I've also heard from other threads that as long as you took the tecep even if you don't pass it, it still counts, is this correct?

So I were to sign up for a course or Tecep in October or November would that extend me for another year?
(05-16-2019, 01:52 PM)natshar Wrote: All this makes sense. I've also heard from other threads that as long as you took the tecep even if you don't pass it, it still counts, is this correct?

So I were to sign up for a course or Tecep in October or November would that extend me for another year?

The TECEPs are treated like normal classes in the sense that the registration period occurs way before the actual class/test. So if your enrollment is up in Jan, you'd want to actually TAKE a TECEP that occurs in December. But to do that, the registration would be in October
https://www.tesu.edu/academics/undergrad-calendar.

You would go into the online student services portal to register for it when the registration opens.  https://walkingstick.tesu.edu/WebAdvisor...2291402573  

as far as not passing, i'm not sure. but i have been told the computer concepts and applications tecep is pretty easy. i am going to take that one. study.com also has an entire area devoted to TECEP prep. there are a lot of subjects available.
https://study.com/academy/goal/transfera...ogram.html
(05-16-2019, 02:08 PM)saraholson Wrote: The TECEPs are treated like normal classes in the sense that the registration period occurs way before the actual class/test. So if your enrollment is up in Jan, you'd want to actually TAKE a TECEP that occurs in December. But to do that, the registration would be in October
It's not as bad as that. The regular registration deadline for Dec 2019 term is Nov 17, late registration deadline is Nov 24. In addition, there is a grace period, so if your enrollment is up in Jan 2020, being signed up for the Jan term (deadline Dec 15) will work. That said, I could understand not wanting to depend on a grace period and getting it in Dec. If someone is concerned, this is one of those times where it might actually make sense to call advising and have them tell you which term you need to be in and have them go ahead and handle the registration.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

(05-16-2019, 05:49 PM)davewill Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 02:08 PM)saraholson Wrote: The TECEPs are treated like normal classes in the sense that the registration period occurs way before the actual class/test. So if your enrollment is up in Jan, you'd want to actually TAKE a TECEP that occurs in December. But to do that, the registration would be in October
It's not as bad as that. The regular registration deadline for Dec 2019 term is Nov 17, late registration deadline is Nov 24. In addition, there is a grace period, so if your enrollment is up in Jan 2020, being signed up for the Jan term (deadline Dec 15) will work. That said, I could understand not wanting to depend on a grace period and getting it in Dec. If someone is concerned, this is one of those times where it might actually make sense to call advising and have them tell you which term you need to be in and have them go ahead and handle the registration.

yeah i based my reply on my advisor telling me to make sure i complete the tecep the month before my enrollment actually runs out
(05-16-2019, 05:53 PM)saraholson Wrote: yeah i based my reply on my advisor telling me to make sure i complete the tecep the month before my enrollment actually runs out

Your enrollment is renewed shortly after the term starts for the course or TECEP. You don't have to finish it.

[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • saraholson
(05-16-2019, 06:14 PM)davewill Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 05:53 PM)saraholson Wrote: yeah i based my reply on my advisor telling me to make sure i complete the tecep the month before my enrollment actually runs out

Your enrollment is renewed shortly after the term starts for the course or TECEP. You don't have to finish it.

good to know!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free TECEPs Offer for Accepted-but-not-Enrolled PLEX 3 212 03-20-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Residency waiver beyond graduation gams007 15 1,384 01-15-2024, 03:48 AM
  TESU multiple degrees / residency question Sean1234 12 1,126 11-03-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Residency Waiver cost BigJohn1975 2 619 10-03-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Free TECEP® Exams Available Now (?) doom 128 16,451 10-02-2023, 11:21 AM
  TESU residency waiver dbrown2258 22 1,778 09-17-2023, 01:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  How to register to free TECEPs elcastor21 3 453 08-25-2023, 05:52 PM
  Free BA Math TECEPs evenFair23 3 444 08-20-2023, 12:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Reducing Credit Hour Residency Requirements from 16 to 15. CanICode 10 1,090 07-02-2023, 06:14 PM