Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How easy is it to find a job with a degree from Big 3?
(04-08-2018, 12:28 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote: I admire the young taking AP, CLEP, DSST, UExcel exams.

I would recommend that they get a local B&M Community College AS degree then add the Big 3.

I absolutely agree with anyone doing some manner of testing out to get a degree, no matter how they end up getting one.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
$750/semester for full load WOW. That is very unusual. Most community colleges are going to cost way more than that. The one here certainly does. It cost more than that when I went there in the early 90s! That said, taking classes doesn't have to mean at a brick and mortar school. I think we here all know that? There are many MOOCs that are free and interesting. Some do have a cost but it's minimal. There are other ways to learn that don't involve any formal classes at all.
(04-08-2018, 07:04 AM)fork Wrote: $750/semester for full load WOW. That is very unusual. Most community colleges are going to cost way more than that. The one here certainly does. It cost more than that when I went there in the early 90s! That said, taking classes doesn't have to mean at a brick and mortar school. I think we here all know that? There are many MOOCs that are free and interesting. Some do have a cost but it's minimal. There are other ways to learn that don't involve any formal classes at all.

Yes, CA CC's are $46 a credit.  It's almost a crime NOT to take classes there!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Life Long Learning
I got to thinking, and I would like to add that several months ago I decided to look at the Education section of many of my friends on LinkedIn. It is a great place for people to detail their Educational experience.

I have almost 125 friends in my network, and I browsed through most of their profiles. Most of my LinkedIn connections are co-workers in Information Technology.

I was surprised to find that very few people that I know actually went to a Brick and Mortar school, and stuck with the same one for 4 years straight. Very few actually had a degree in I.T. of Software Development. Their degrees ranged from music education to Psychology to Business Admin. I was surprised to see that my manager went off to Clemson for his freshman year, and then moved back to Florida after only one year. Then transfered into UCF for a year or two, and then finished at Daytona State. His major was MAthematics, and he is now an I.T. Manager. Many of my friends are transfer students. Many of them, all over the place. Starting at SUNY Buffalo and then ending up at USF. Many of them went to small colleges, that I had never even heard of. Many went to theological schools. Few, if any, were Ivy League or went to "prestigious" schools. I would say that most of my friends do pretty well in their careers, and they do so without fancy schools or degrees. Again, this comes back possessing demostrable skill sets.

I bring this up, because I see many of these threads here, and I think many of us have a latent worry about whether we are doing the right thing, or whether our schools can compete with our peers. I think that most of us here are doing just fine, simply in the fact that we are here, and we are pursuing a goal to better ourselves. And, most importantly, we desire to do it without ending up with hundreds of thousands in student loans to pay back. WE are the type of people I would want to hire. Stay with it, and achieve your goals!
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

[-] The following 2 users Like ChilliDawg's post:
  • dfrecore, Ideas
The best degree is the one that you FINISH. Sure, if you have a chance to graduate from an ivy league school, great.. But if you don't the differences fade pretty quick.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 3 users Like davewill's post:
  • burbuja0512, ChilliDawg, Muldoon
(04-08-2018, 01:50 PM)davewill Wrote: The best degree is the one that you FINISH. Sure, if you have a chance to graduate from an ivy league school, great.. But if you don't the differences fade pretty quick.

The best degree is the one that you FINISH. Big Grin   100% agree!
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

> How easy is it to find a job with a degree from Big 3?

extremely easy

I used to be unemployed

now I'm head french fry maker at McDonalds
[-] The following 2 users Like bluebooger's post:
  • Joeman200, quigongene
I had a job, but the degree met a requirement that I needed to get a new job at my company.  I know that is not exactly what is being asked, but I would count it as a success.

For my kids, I hope they can go the more traditional route, but I do want to leverage what I have learned in my journey to help them get a head start to increase their chances of success, give them more flexibility, and avoid the astronomical debt that today's students are facing.   I would like to start their freshmen year with around 15 credits from AP, CLEP, and dual enrollment.
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976
(04-08-2018, 08:20 PM)bluebooger Wrote: > How easy is it to find a job with a degree from Big 3?

extremely easy

I used to be unemployed

now I'm head french fry maker at McDonalds

Darn and I was thinking the PAC-12 degree serving coffee was good? Big Grin
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 28 5,892 6 hours ago
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 706 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 297 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 680 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 603 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 536 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 293 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 893 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,255 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,869 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74