Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long on average to complete an UL course on Study.com?
I'm almost finished with my LL lower level credits thanks to transferred credits and free courses on Sophia.org, and I will soon be looking to take UL upper level courses to complete my liberal arts bachelor at COSC.

From what I understand study.com is the best site to take UL courses from, and I'm wondering how long on average you all take to complete a course. Since sophia.org courses were open book, I would complete those courses in around three days on average. I'm guessing for study.com you will have to study much more comprehensively, and I'm wondering how long you all spend per course. I'm really curious especially since there is a monthly fee on on study.com, so I imagine it would be cheapest to complete courses as quickly as possible.

I've read on other threads that History, Psych, Communications, and Business courses were the easiest UL courses to fulfill online. I'm leaning more towards business and psych since I'm really not into history, and it looks like there aren't any UL communications courses that transfer to COSC.

Thanks! Big Grin
You should aim for the maximum of 5 courses (2 within the membership and 3 additional at a fee) per month.
If you don't have enough time, consider being a membership on and off to save some.
There will be quizzes, assignments and a proctored final (closed book).
I have same question too as I am about to start study.com for my UL courses in English and History, I am pursuing two AOS within one degree, and, same here, trying to figure out time/cost ratio.

I also took an average of three days to complete sophia courses.

Just want to make sure of cost of courses on study.com, are they completely free or is there an exam fee?

(07-19-2020, 05:01 AM)lacussucceed Wrote: You should aim for the maximum of 5 courses (2 within the membership and 3 additional at a fee) per month.
If you don't have enough time, consider being a membership on and off to save some.
Is material available offline once enrolled? Or it is not accessible during the time you are not registered? Straighterline is nice as their vitalsource books are available a long time even when membership is paused, allowing one to study at own pace and then resume membership to take exams.
(07-19-2020, 05:01 AM)lacussucceed Wrote: You should aim for the maximum of 5 courses (2 within the membership and 3 additional at a fee) per month.

This is much faster than I would have guessed! Thank you for sharing, this will be my goal to shoot for when I start in a few weeks! Big Grin
I think the strategy of "membership on and off" refers to a practice of changing between the college accelerator price and the 60 a month price where you still have access to study. Then change it back to full price in a few weeks to get many exams done. I've heard that strategy on forums.

I don't think I had offline access to full courses while enrolled. There are previews that anyone can watch and you can see the essay assignments for many courses without having an account.

I was never as fast as others on this forum and need to do one course at a time so I couldn't do the strategies to have the most courses for least per credit dollar for the upper level courses. I know one can do 5 exams in a month on the full price program (199 subscription price which includes access to the materials and covers costs of the first two exams and then 70 per exam for the next 3). And that one can change between the non exam access option and then full price. In my case, I'm needing more than 3 days to through a course and learn material well enough to do well on exams.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • ss20ts
(07-19-2020, 06:49 AM)P226mem Wrote: I think the strategy of "membership on and off" refers to a practice of changing between the college accelerator price and the 60 a month price where you still have access to study. Then change it back to full price in a few weeks to get many exams done.  I've heard that strategy on forums.

I don't think I had offline access to full courses while enrolled. There are previews that anyone can watch and you can see the essay assignments  for many courses without having an account.

I was never as fast as others on this forum and need to do one course at a time so I couldn't do the strategies to have the most courses for least per credit dollar for the upper level courses.  I know one can do 5 exams in a month on the full price program (199 subscription price which includes access to the materials and covers costs of the first two exams and then 70 per exam for the next 3).  And that one can change between the non exam access option and then full price.  In my case, I'm needing more than 3 days to through a course and learn material well enough to do well on exams.
So the access to materials at the low price is the same as for the highest price, and this with the assumption that progress is saved whether one uses the strategy or not being enrolled that month. If so, to prepare all I need is the low price and then do all the quizzes in one gulp. I tend to take lots of notes and if I know details about essays then it is easy to put together one. Quizzes are not proctored and so they are open book? Only final exam is proctored but only weighs a certain percentage of the overall course, so, seems doable.
Progress is saved.
Indeed, 5 exams at total $410 = $82 is the best price. Without additional exams it is $200 for (1 or) 2 exams.
You can also alternate with the cheaper memberships.
Or if you know assignments are taking time for you, make sure you get the requirements of those papers and read the related lessons ahead for your courses when you have an active membership. That way you don't have to worry about those and just focus on the quizzes and final the next time you have the college accelerator membership.
(07-19-2020, 09:33 AM)lacussucceed Wrote: Progress is saved.
Indeed, 5 exams at total $410 = $82 is the best price. Without additional exams it is $200 for (1 or) 2 exams.
You can also alternate with the cheaper memberships.
Or if you know assignments are taking time for you, make sure you get the requirements of those papers and read the related lessons ahead for your courses when you have an active membership. That way you don't have to worry about those and just focus on the quizzes and final the next time you have the college accelerator membership.

Yes, that is not bad at all, and $82 average per course is a good price. How many one can register per month? is it limited to 5 or just the final exams are limited to 5 exams per month?
(07-19-2020, 12:00 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: Yes, that is not bad at all, and $82 average per course is a good price. How many one can register per month? is it limited to 5 or just the final exams are limited to 5 exams per month?

You can study as much as you want for $200/mo. Take all the quizzes, etc. It's just the exams that are restricted.
(07-19-2020, 12:03 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 12:00 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: Yes, that is not bad at all, and $82 average per course is a good price. How many one can register per month? is it limited to 5 or just the final exams are limited to 5 exams per month?

You can study as much as you want for $200/mo. Take all the quizzes, etc. It's just the exams that are restricted.
Oh wow, then it is a great deal.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 4 113 Yesterday, 03:20 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,461 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,629 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,238 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 763 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 370 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,041 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,915 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 595 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 315 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue