Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get TESU to answer my questions and look at my transcripts? (Discouraged)
TLDR; TESU isn't answering my questions or giving me information about the transcripts I sent. What are my options?

I have some IT certifications that some colleges (Excelsior) give credit for. Some are also listed as receiving credit on TESU's website, but not all of them. I sent the transcripts to TESU with an explanation of what they were. After a week, I got an email back that they don't give credit for those with a note at the end of the email that the ticket was resolved and closed. Disappointing. It seemed like they didn't even look at it because some of the ones I sent are listed on their website, and they didn't even add those to my transcript (A+, Net+, Sec+).

I ended up calling and found out I probably sent it to the wrong email address (enrollment instead of academic advising), so I sent it again to the correct email. In my email, I asked if any of them would apply to the CIS area of study. I got another response that they marked it as resolved, and they didn't make any effort to answer my questions. I did see on my transcript they added 2 as free electives but didn't answer my questions about the remaining transcripts and whether or not they will apply to the CIS AOS. It basically said if there are others then I can see if they're listed on ACE and if they aren't then they probably don't give credit.

Since then I scheduled an appointment for a call with an advisor and waited a week for that. My phone rang and I picked up, it was an automated thing and then I got disconnected, so I didn't even get to speak to anyone. There were no issues with my cell service.

I'm pretty turned off by the lack of effort because instead of actually giving me the information I'm asking for they seem to give a vague, uncertain response, and then close the ticket. 1 certification, in particular, I was expecting to get something for because they have Linux Essentials certification listed on their website, and I have a higher level certification from the same company (LPIC-1) that covers the same material and much more. I thought that I'd at least get the credits they'd award for the lower level certification. I also have an eval from Excelsior and they gave me credit for everything. In contrast, everyone here is super helpful and responsive, so I'm hoping you all can help put me on the right track.

So is this normal? Am I right to expect more effort and feedback from them, or am I expecting too much? And if so, what do I need to do to get information? Is there any way to get them to actually evaluate what I have to see if it's worth credit?
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
TESU will evaluate what you send them, and put it on your transcript it it applies. But honestly, if you're trying to get credit for certifications, they're pretty bad at what they give.

From what I can find, it looks like they'll give credit for:
Network+ earned between 2/28/15-2/28/18 as ITS-140 (Intro to Networking), 3cr
Security+ earned between 5/1/14-10/25/17 as CYB-220 (Defensive Security), 3cr
I didn't see that A+ would get credit.

So both LL, and a possibility that both will go into the CIS AOS.

And yes, they're also terrible with customer service. When dealing with TESU, you're better off coming here to ask questions, and waiting for your eval to be done, then asking most people there. You get your degree there in spite of their bad customer service if they give you a better deal. But you should just wait to see if they show up on your eval.

Honestly, if you want credit for certs, you're better off at WGU or EC.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • camjenks
(04-22-2018, 05:42 PM)camjenks Wrote: So is this normal? Am I right to expect more effort and feedback from them, or am I expecting too much? And if so, what do I need to do to get information? Is there any way to get them to actually evaluate what I have to see if it's worth credit?

It's normal for them. A lot of us feel the same way. Sometimes for the simplest things, you end up getting normal customer service and answers. 

You may want to try again with a phone appointment. Or for emails, it is best to ask only 1 very clear, specific question per message.

[-] The following 2 users Like Ideas's post:
  • camjenks, Muldoon
TESU isn't the best with e-mailed questions, sometimes it just seems like they want to close the ticket. I have had much worse experiences with a few other colleges, so they don't bother me that much.
Send one question per e-mail.
You'll tend to get better service with a phone appointment. You have to call them at the appointment time, they don't call you.
I didn't have any luck just calling in without an appointment, just kept getting transferred back and forth throughout the departments.
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
there is a very noticeable difference between COSC and TESU in terms of customer service interactions. it just is what it is
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • camjenks
I almost wonder if the "Ticket Closed" is a default message. I was emailing them back and forth about my evaluation, and they would make a request then it would say the ticket was closed. I'd reply with their requested info, and they would reply saying they applied my credits correctly, and the ticket was closed. It took a few emails but it solved my issues.
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,982 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,662 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,109 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,646 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,734 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,348 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,596 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,326 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,379 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,861 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore