Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make an appeal on the grade - DSST Pub. Speak.
I took the Public Speaking DSST, and FAILED. I got a passing score of 70 on the multiple choice section (passing score is 47) but failed the speech section.
My time was perfect (3 min. 59 sec.) (on a 3-5 min requirement), and I feel my speech was well organized, cogent, and logical. However, I failed.

1) Has anyone ever appealed the decision?
2) Does anyone know how to do it? (I've heard of it being done.)

The report said one professor graded it - I have a feeling he didn't appreciate my point of view. I intend to appeal.
So sorry to hear that. Yes, you can appeal. Try this thread for details:

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post99841

It has been a while since this topic has come up on the forum, but I do believe some members have decided to appeal and were successful. (Others have chosen to retake it or take another course like BYU.)
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
I appealed mine and they still sent me back a failure. I thought my speech was organized and structured well too. I ended up taking the class at my school and even after my speech class where I learned the fundamentals of giving speeches I still thought did a pretty good job on the DSST speech. Well, I knew my teacher would have at least given me an A, so who knows. Also, I believe in the letter they sent was my speech wasn't convincing enough (or something like that, I took this test in 2010 so I don't remember 100%).
[SIZE="2"]
Introduction to Sociology - 54/50
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 53/50
History 1 - 51/50
[SIZE="1"]Started using InstantCert [/SIZE]
College Mathematics - 61/50
History 2 - 53/50
American Government - 55/50
German - 56/50 ----FUCK I only needed a 60 for 6 more credits
Social Science & History - 61/50
College Composition - 50/50 lol
Intro to Computers - 408/400
College Algebra - 56/50
Principles of Management - 50/50
Ethics in America - 451/400
Principles of Statistics - 438/400
Principles of Finance - 411/400
Management Information Systems - 451/400
Principles of Marketing - 62/50
Intro to World Religions - 454/400
Business Law I - 50/50

75/60[/SIZE]
The standard appeal process does cost an extra fee. Your speech is "graded" by a different grader who does not even know that your speech already received an initial score. If this second grader comes back with a "fail", the appeal process is over and your score stands. If this second grader comes back with a "pass", your speech is then graded by a third grader. Basically, there needs to be a majority ruling of 2that agree on the score of your speech.
I want to encourage those who plan to take this exam to review the study guide details. This is to be a persuasive speech, not just a speech. It states right in the study guide how your speech will be graded (and it isn't just on the content and organization):
structure/organization (25%)
delivery (25%)
content/supporting material (20%)
effect/persuasive (20%)
language style (10%)

There are also several reasons listed for an automatic failure:
* timing (less than 3 minutes or longer than 5 minutes)
* editing (for those who test with the old paper/pencil method, you are NOT allowed to hit the pause or stop button on the audiocassette recorder and then resume with recording)
* topic not addressed
* failure to take a position
* took several positions
[-] The following 1 user Likes BGSU_Alum_86's post:
  • SemperRef
^ Also, only 10 minutes to prepare...
[SIZE="2"]
Introduction to Sociology - 54/50
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 53/50
History 1 - 51/50
[SIZE="1"]Started using InstantCert [/SIZE]
College Mathematics - 61/50
History 2 - 53/50
American Government - 55/50
German - 56/50 ----FUCK I only needed a 60 for 6 more credits
Social Science & History - 61/50
College Composition - 50/50 lol
Intro to Computers - 408/400
College Algebra - 56/50
Principles of Management - 50/50
Ethics in America - 451/400
Principles of Statistics - 438/400
Principles of Finance - 411/400
Management Information Systems - 451/400
Principles of Marketing - 62/50
Intro to World Religions - 454/400
Business Law I - 50/50

75/60[/SIZE]
/\/\ I know it doesn't make a huge different, but if you are taking the computer version of this exam, you are put completely in charge of your 20 minutes. It is recommended that you spend 10 minutes in preparation, record a maximum of 5 minutes (of course!), and then you can utilize the playback function (of your recorded maximum 5-minute speech). I always recommend that candidates not waste these precious 5 minutes listening to a recorded speech that they cannot change and instead add most of that time to the preparation time. Then listen to just the beginning of their speech -- more for peace of mind in knowing that the computer system worked and did record their speech.

I don't believe this speech is supposed to come off like you are speaking in a formal setting. If you picture several friends out for dinner and this somewhat controversial topic comes up, are you really going to spend more than 10 minutes thinking of how to word your point-of-view? Again, this is my perspective, but I believe this portion of the exam is looking to see if you can compose your thoughts to the point that you can express yourself in a persuasive manner. Are you articulate, do you bring up any sources to back up your "side", etc.?

My high school junioris currently taking Speech & Debate. In the very near future, the students will be making "impromptu" speeches with only a few minutes to think about their position/question (drawn as they come to the front of the line). They will be graded not only on the content (audio) but also their presentation (visual).

I hated speech class in college and actually put if off until my senior year. I give all of you props for pushing through and trying the DSST exam to satisfy this requirement!
Does anyone have the steps of who to get a hold of to appeal the grade? I passed the written part but failed the speech based on "not being enthusiastic enough" which I disagree with. Plus that's only supposed to be 10% of the grade... I want a second opinion. Any info helps
Call DSST. I don't know if the process has changed, but it used to be that a candidate would be able to supply their information and a credit card for the fee (I feel like it used to be $30?). Your recorded speech is then scored by a different scorer. If you receive a "no pass" from this second scorer, your appeal process is done. If you receive a "pass", the speech is then scored by a third scorer and that score will determine if you receive a pass or no pass for the exam.
(10-03-2012, 08:26 PM)BenWalton Wrote: I took the Public Speaking DSST, and FAILED.  I got a passing score of 70 on the multiple choice section (passing score is 47) but failed the speech section.  
My time was perfect (3 min. 59 sec.) (on a 3-5 min requirement), and I feel my speech was well organized, cogent, and logical.  However, I failed.  

1) Has anyone ever appealed the decision?
2) Does anyone know how to do it? (I've heard of it being done.)

The report said one professor graded it - I have a feeling he didn't appreciate my point of view.  I intend to appeal.

I have nailed the written part 3 times and failed the speech all three..I have gotten the same response which tells me that they really aren't even listening.  I am finishing my BSN with a 3.75 GPA, have been a professional for years and have spoken multiple times.  .Save your time and money and do either the Straighterline or Study.com course.

(10-04-2012, 05:15 PM)BGSU_Alum_86 Wrote: /\/\ I know it doesn't make a huge different, but if you are taking the computer version of this exam, you are put completely in charge of your 20 minutes. It is recommended that you spend 10 minutes in preparation, record a maximum of 5 minutes (of course!), and then you can utilize the playback function (of your recorded maximum 5-minute speech). I always recommend that candidates not waste these precious 5 minutes listening to a recorded speech that they cannot change and instead add most of that time to the preparation time. Then listen to just the beginning of their speech -- more for peace of mind in knowing that the computer system worked and did record their speech.

I don't believe this speech is supposed to come off like you are speaking in a formal setting. If you picture several friends out for dinner and this somewhat controversial topic comes up, are you really going to spend more than 10 minutes thinking of how to word your point-of-view? Again, this is my perspective, but I believe this portion of the exam is looking to see if you can compose your thoughts to the point that you can express yourself in a persuasive manner. Are you articulate, do you bring up any sources to back up your "side", etc.?

My high school junioris currently taking Speech & Debate. In the very near future, the students will be making "impromptu" speeches with only a few minutes to think about their position/question (drawn as they come to the front of the line). They will be graded not only on the content (audio) but also their presentation (visual).

I hated speech class in college and actually put if off until my senior year. I give all of you props for pushing through and trying the DSST exam to satisfy this requirement!
I am afraid that is not so.  You can not add the 5 minutes to your 10 minute prep time..I asked and they would not let me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How AI threatens to make traditional college degree ‘obsolete’: experts LevelUP 5 902 10-20-2023, 07:21 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  How to make $150k in a year nomaduser 26 2,336 03-05-2023, 09:18 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 6,457 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Grade for credit Mike Williams 14 1,286 01-11-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: davewill
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 609 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  National Trends in Grade Inflation for American Colleges LevelUP 1 510 09-21-2022, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Courcelles
  Best 11 Guidelines to Make the Most Out of Your LinkedIn Profile LevelUP 0 473 03-13-2022, 01:21 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,179 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  Help! If I make a UK TOP UP Degree can I apply for a Russell Group University later? UKSPAINStud 8 2,034 09-05-2021, 04:26 AM
Last Post: debrag
  DSST - Health and Human Development Silly_Me 6 3,109 04-30-2021, 08:58 AM
Last Post: ctcarl