Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else not attending their college graduations with intent?
Wife and I could walk this weekend at Pierpont if we wanted to. Don't really see the point for an associates.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • Life Long Learning
I love the idea of going but it's too difficult to fly cross country (plus pulling kids out of school for something they will be bored by).

However, if I get a Masters somewhere local, I totally will walk then.
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs
[-] The following 1 user Likes Muldoon's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Back patting is a double edged sword.

IF you have good management and family structure, you'll never have a need. If you don't, who will?
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

[-] The following 1 user Likes High_Order1's post:
  • Life Long Learning
I attended college graduation only because I was receiving the Chancellor's award and was Summa Cum Laude, so they expected me to be there to get my awards. I graduated first then had to sit through 4,000 other students receiving their diplomas. It was hell. I skipped my grad school graduation. My son got his degree from WGU last fall but didn't want to travel, so we didn't go to his graduation either. I just don't see the point. If someone will enjoy it and can make a trip out of it, though, of course they should!
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
[-] The following 1 user Likes rowan555's post:
  • Life Long Learning
I wasn't going to but my family freaked! I'm the first on my side to graduate college (as was my husband when he did). Even my youngest said "When is it mom? It's not a matter of taking time off, it's a matter of telling them I'm not working that day." So guess who's going to NJ in September? They've already booked hotel rooms. HA!
[-] The following 4 users Like dfsquare's post:
  • cookderosa, eriehiker, Life Long Learning, Muldoon
You seem to be condemning the vanity of people who celebrate their accomplishments, while vainly congratulating yourself for not celebrating your accomplishments. Dodgy

I plan on attending for my bachelors next spring and my MBA the following year. Graduating HS didn't seem appropriate to celebrate because its expected. I did attend my HS for my mother's sake though. The associates was just a happy accident on my way to my bachelors, so I skipped it. To each his own.
[-] The following 4 users Like alexf.1990's post:
  • greencouch, jsd, Life Long Learning, SDO
If it were somewhere that my wife wanted to visit (or even if I wanted to), I might. But nah. I will probably have a nice dinner out with family, and maybe buy myself a new gun or telescope to celebrate.

And to add: I absolutely think everyone should thay wants to. Its a big deal, despite what anyone here might say. You earned it.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

[-] The following 1 user Likes icampy's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(05-13-2018, 05:25 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote: You seem to be condemning the vanity of people who celebrate their accomplishments, while vainly congratulating yourself for not celebrating your accomplishments. Dodgy

I plan on attending for my bachelors next spring and my MBA the following year. Graduating HS didn't seem appropriate to celebrate because its expected. I did attend my HS for my mother's sake though. The associates was just a happy accident on my way to my bachelors, so I skipped it. To each his own.

I am not condemning anyone.  Fact, I got an email that one will be live on the web and I hope to watch it. Big Grin   I hope all three are!  I am glad folks go.  It seems to add to the personality of the college.  That is the #1 reason I have watched a few on YouTube.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

When I finish my degree with WGU, I plan on going to the graduation ceremony in Orlando only for the excuse of taking the kids to Disney.  The purpose is to set the example to my kids that hard work pays off with great rewards.  When I finish my degree with TESU, I will likely not go to that one as I'm not a fan of the traffic in New Jersey.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
[-] The following 3 users Like jamshid666's post:
  • jsd, Life Long Learning, Muldoon
Found this article today:

https://www.facebook.com/InsideHigherEdD...3965741527

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
BABA, New England College, 2019

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,092 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,350 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 197 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 312 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 622 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 178 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 199 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 189 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor