Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hug your kid, or why I'm not watching the Super Bowl...
I got a call from my wife this afternoon, and she's crying and hysterical. Turns out a friend's 25 year old kid had intended to commit suicide. Left a note, the whole 9 yards.

He drove his car into a local river. As the car was sinking, he called his mother to say he was sorry and had changed his mind. The last thing his mother heard was the phone disconnect as the car went under water.

The police pulled the car out of the drink today. The kid had drown, the parents and little sister (22) are devastated. What is normally a rowdy crowd when assembled in one place was extremely silent and somber.

Watching the parents go through that sucked everything out of me today. I just want to veg on the couch, cuddle the toddler and and stare at the ceiling.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Ugghhhh.... so horrible. I'm terribly sorry. I can't even imagine. Definitely puts things in perspective. Prayers for all of you as I'm sure these coming days and weeks are going to be hard.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
How horrible for that family. I can't imagine the terror of his mother during and after that phone call. Losing a child is so life-altering. I lost my son to murder three years ago. It has taken this long to almost feel like a living, breathing person again. This is also why I am so over the top, crazy involved in my 17-year-old son's life.
So sorry for everyone involved here. And yes, hug your kids more.
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
This breaks my heart. We've come way too close to being in their shoes, and we never know when we might get that call again.

You feel so powerless.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I am so so sorry. How devastating, I can't even imagine. Will keep this family in prayer.
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
quigonegin- Praying for you, your family and especially your friend's family. Words just do not seem sufficient in this crisis in life. But you are right. It so very important to hug your kids and let them know they mean the world to you. I have found in my work with kids that when they know that they matter to you, they open up and began to find purpose. I am not sure of the circumstances surrounding this situation but you are right to hug your kids and shut off the super bowl. You can always watch it next year, but we need to let our kids know we love them... in the tragic event they may not be with us next year... I am so very sorry and I am praying for you all.
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

2018 WGU BA Mathematics Education (5-9 licensure)

Current Work: VIPKID ESL Teacher and Substitute Teacher

CHANT: TAYATA / OM BEKANDZE BEKANDZE / MAHA BEKANDZE RADZA / SAMUDGATE SOHA
I like chanting this Medicine Buddha Mantra - http://www.worldwidehealingcircle.net/meaning.htm
My family chants this along with the kids and young ones, it's a healing mantra, I like it...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Praying for this family. I am so sorry.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
(02-04-2018, 09:58 PM)quigongene Wrote: I got a call from my wife this afternoon, and she's crying and hysterical. Turns out a friend's 25 year old kid had intended to commit suicide. Left a note, the whole 9 yards.

He drove his car into a local river. As the car was sinking, he called his mother to say he was sorry and had changed his mind. The last thing his mother heard was the phone disconnect as the car went under water.

The police pulled the car out of the drink today. The kid had drown, the parents and little sister (22) are devastated. What is normally a rowdy crowd when assembled in one place was extremely silent and somber.

Watching the parents go through that sucked everything out of me today. I just want to veg on the couch, cuddle the toddler and and stare at the ceiling.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Your wife's friend has an unimaginable memory to live with, I can't even wrap my brain around what that looks like to move forward from that.
I have no words, just tears as I read this whole thread. So much pain that some have to endure. I feel for you, too, mudball. Keeping you all in my prayers. And hugging our own 3 kids more.
[-] The following 2 users Like homeschoolmom1's post:
  • davewill, mudball

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video 2024 Bud Light MAGA Super Bowl Commercial LevelUP 1 442 02-08-2024, 10:54 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Taylor Swift to Super Bowl 2024! LevelUP 1 273 01-30-2024, 01:01 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  They are watching me.... natshar 10 1,845 11-22-2019, 01:04 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Who's watching the World Cup???? burbuja0512 22 4,131 07-07-2018, 10:27 AM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Wow, super cheap $67 at BYU, if you can take it frank.f.franky 9 2,147 05-25-2018, 08:22 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Super Bowl 2016 ShotoJuku 5 1,289 02-09-2016, 12:38 AM
Last Post: jadae@wgu.edu
  U of Phoenix's reputation & the Super Bowl GettinMyBA 5 3,022 04-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Last Post: DaFoamy
  Super Bowl!!! 4dkids 6 2,111 02-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Last Post: GettinMyBA
  Video worth watching! Kiwi Lover 2 1,747 07-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Last Post: annegirl