Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Graduated From Excelsior College with a BS in National Security
Hello all,

I just graduated from Excelsior College (EC) on 15 November with a BS in National Security (only Magna Cum Laude, unfortunately).  This forum and associated InstantCert CLEP flashcards were instrumental to the timing of my degree completion, because I was able to obtain 5 external credits toward my program through the form of CLEP and two 1-credit courses at Sophia.com.  Those alone saved me four months from the backend of my program, since I only take one class every 8-weeks.

I know EC has not been a common choice in the forum for a while, due to current pricing and policy changes.  However, I'd still like to report having a great experience with them and their acceptance of external credits.  I attended through the use of Military Tuition Assistance, so my financial experiences may differ from others.  I'm not a huge fan of their admissions process, the format of their website, or their confusing degree plans, but they use the Canvas system, which made the internal class workings significantly less confusing.

Overall it was a good experience that I'm glad is now complete.  Now I am working to figure out what I want to do for a masters.
BSNS - Excelsior College - 2019

AASIO - Cochise College - 2012

[-] The following 10 users Like TheMaskedMutant's post:
  • a4tunatemom, davewill, dfrecore, jamshid666, Life Long Learning, Life_One, magflo, Merlin, MSK9, suzycupcake
Congrats! Best of luck w/ your Masters.
(11-21-2019, 04:22 PM)TheMaskedMutant Wrote: Hello all,

I just graduated from Excelsior College (EC) on 15 November with a BS in National Security (only Magna Cum Laude, unfortunately).  This forum and associated InstantCert CLEP flashcards were instrumental to the timing of my degree completion, because I was able to obtain 5 external credits toward my program through the form of CLEP and two 1-credit courses at Sophia.com.  Those alone saved me four months from the backend of my program, since I only take one class every 8-weeks.

I know EC has not been a common choice in the forum for a while, due to current pricing and policy changes.  However, I'd still like to report having a great experience with them and their acceptance of external credits.  I attended through the use of Military Tuition Assistance, so my financial experiences may differ from others.  I'm not a huge fan of their admissions process, the format of their website, or their confusing degree plans, but they use the Canvas system, which made the internal class workings significantly less confusing.

Overall it was a good experience that I'm glad is now complete.  Now I am working to figure out what I want to do for a masters.
Congrats and thanks for the update!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 13 yo boys

Study: US History 1, Pres Skills, Environ Science, Ethics in America
Sophia: Psychology, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict, Student Success
CsmLearn

Planning for (2) Bachelors + ?
Grats!! Well done.
TESU BALS Humanities
Post-Bac: Doane University - Done
CASPer Done MCAT Done
Medical School Interviews Completed: 1 MD (As of 12-11-19) Acceptances: 1 MD 
Congrats! Nice to see someone doing it a different way
Study.com - 129 CR. TESU - 27 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 2 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU

I love the major "National Security."  Big Grin 

Very Cool!
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Hey hey! That's great! Excelsior is an awesome college! Good work on completing that capstone!
Done: TESU ASNSM Biology, ASBA/BSBA (ACBSP Accredited in 2017)
Working on: TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Deferred: **Deciding on several Masters/PHD programs**

2018 BALS and BSBA Spreadsheet using mainly SL/Study.com (post#28,31)
The Basic Approach | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Review Beginners Guide sticky for info on TESU BALS/BSBA in 4 months (post #16)
~Note: Read Wiki guide links for TESU equivalency - CLEP/DSST/SL/Study.com, etc
Congrats to you.
B&M: 65 / SL(30) / Institute (UL)(2) / CSMLearn(3) / Sophia (2) / TEEX (11) / Coopersmith UL(12)
Congratulations! Way to go!
TESU BALS early 2020!
Study.com (24): Eng Comp I & II, Pres Skills in the Workplace, Prin of Supervision, Personal Finance, Here's to Your Health, Prin of Mgmt, Tech in the Classroom
StraighterLine (33): Intro to Rel, Intro to CJ, US Hist I/II, Amer Govt, Western Civ I/II, Intro to Env Sci, IT Fund, Cult Anthropology, Pharmacology
Sophia (10): Dev Effective Teams, Visual Comm, Conflict Resolution, Human Biology
SHU and GCU (26): Prin of Soc, Prin of Psych, Ethics, Logic, Prin of Econ, Mgmt Info Sys, Univ Success, 21st Century Comm, Info Lit
TEEX (6): Death Investigation (UL); Foundations of Fingerprint Comparison
Coopersmith UL (12): Drugs, Society and Human Behavior, Foundations of Stress Mgmt, Sport & Exercise Psychology, Substance Abuse Counseling Affiliate ID: 196
CSMLearn (3)
TESU: SOS-110 (IP), Capstone (IP)
(11-21-2019, 04:22 PM)TheMaskedMutant Wrote: Hello all,

Congratulations MaskedMutant!
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS - Network Operations and Security
Currently Attending: TESU: BSBA-GM
Future Plans: WGU: MS-CSIA, WGU: MBA, researching Doctorate choices
My LinkedIn Profile
My Omni Transcript

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Big 3 (3.25+ GPA) and the Order of the Sword and Shield National Honor Society Life Long Learning 6 281 11-21-2019, 03:57 PM
Last Post: TheMaskedMutant
  Referral code for COSC or Excelsior NeverDone 7 438 11-14-2019, 02:25 AM
Last Post: NeverDone
  The official guide to courses from the Big Three: COSC, TESU, & Excelsior jsh1138 12 16,931 11-02-2019, 11:11 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Excelsior Information Literacy substitution? dfwdegree 21 881 10-22-2019, 10:11 PM
Last Post: dfwdegree
  Input on Excelsior Clepper43 7 480 10-18-2019, 10:17 AM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Is my Excelsior admissions counselor wrong, or is Excelsior no longer "Big 3"? wow 18 872 10-17-2019, 06:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  FCC and Excelsior mdel210201 1 214 10-17-2019, 06:40 PM
  Excelsior and Frederick mdel210201 1 187 10-17-2019, 03:13 PM
Last Post: udi
  Capstones at Excelsior diminutive 1 266 10-09-2019, 03:47 PM
  Excelsior Takes FEMA on OneTranscript eriehiker 0 202 10-05-2019, 06:13 PM
Last Post: eriehiker