Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am BACK!
I am almost done with my first class. In my 9th week (these semesters are long!). I find it very doable with my full time job. I really liked how they split up the research paper into milestones, with peer check in every few weeks to go over papers with people in the small group. (Intro was milestone 1, the body of the paper was milestone 2, and the conclusion was milestone 3. Milestone 4 due this week is the final paper using suggestions and corrections from peers.) I wish it was done this way in undergrad.

I think one of the reasons I was dreading writing a research paper was because I wasn't really taught how to as an undergrad or even in high school. Back then it was - "pick a topic, turn it in, in such and such weeks" with zero guidance. I know some people say brick and mortar classes are the way to go for English comp so that one can learn to write. I am afraid that might not always be the case. My professor for English 101 and 102 didn't really teach us how. Those profs gave me a topic and that was that. If you have a shitty professor, you may pass an in- person class still not knowing how to write a paper.

The fear I had about having to do a research paper, since the last time I did one was in the late 90's was for naught. I learned more about how to write in this class than my brick and mortar classes. Granted since I graduated it's not like I haven't written. I write a fitness blog on my own time but that's not exactly academic writing! I know SNHU is dismissed here, but so far I am really enjoying it.
When I am not studying - https://youtu.be/C-kk8xa0BLQ

MS in Public Health at SNHU in progress. Expected Grad Date - August 2017

Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified -2014, Ice Chamber Kettlebell Sport Certified - 2015

NCSF Personal Trainer -2010

Done! BS in LIBERAL STUDIES From Excelsior. Conferral Date - Dec 18, 2009!

Licensed Practical Nurse - 1996

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits
Excelsior Exams - Organizational Behavior(B), World Population (A), Ethics (A), Cultural Diversity (B),Psychology of A&A (A), Gerontology (B)
DSST -Drugs & Alcohol (A), Civil War (A), Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (A), Social Psychology (A)
Penn Foster- Info Lit (passed)
april004 Wrote:The fear I had about having to do a research paper, since the last time I did one was in the late 90's was for naught. I learned more about how to write in this class than my brick and mortar classes. Granted since I graduated it's not like I haven't written. I write a fitness blog on my own time but that's not exactly academic writing! I know SNHU is dismissed here, but so far I am really enjoying it.

That's encouraging! I haven't done very much real research writing in the past 20+ years, and even when I write in my B&M classes there isn't much guidance.

I also just noticed your siggy -- my cancer survivor support group leader is a Hardstyle Kettlebell instructor. We're working on Turkish Getups cancer-survivor style right now Smile
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Mamasaphire Wrote:That's encouraging! I haven't done very much real research writing in the past 20+ years, and even when I write in my B&M classes there isn't much guidance.

I also just noticed your siggy -- my cancer survivor support group leader is a Hardstyle Kettlebell instructor. We're working on Turkish Getups cancer-survivor style right now Smile

Awesome to hear! Your instructor is sharing the kettlebell love. Yes, I love the hardstyle kettlebell philosophy- quality movement first. Although I have now gravitated to the kettlebell sport side , my foundation was built on hardstyle!
When I am not studying - https://youtu.be/C-kk8xa0BLQ

MS in Public Health at SNHU in progress. Expected Grad Date - August 2017

Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified -2014, Ice Chamber Kettlebell Sport Certified - 2015

NCSF Personal Trainer -2010

Done! BS in LIBERAL STUDIES From Excelsior. Conferral Date - Dec 18, 2009!

Licensed Practical Nurse - 1996

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits
Excelsior Exams - Organizational Behavior(B), World Population (A), Ethics (A), Cultural Diversity (B),Psychology of A&A (A), Gerontology (B)
DSST -Drugs & Alcohol (A), Civil War (A), Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (A), Social Psychology (A)
Penn Foster- Info Lit (passed)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Walden Tempo - MBA program is back! bjcheung77 21 4,485 04-10-2021, 09:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77