Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have 6 days to complete two difficult CLEPs which I have not studied for
I've been putting off my final degree requirements for a while. For me school is about the intrinsic reward rather than the piece of paper. If left unabated I would have never bothered to finish this. But my parents have been pressuring me to do so for a long time now. My father never finished college, so I can appreciate his wishes. FYI this is merely an AA in engineering science from a local community college which I have been attending on and off for going on four years now.

The registrar at the school emailed me several days ago stating that because I have not taken a course at the school in a year, my status will be updated to non-matriculated at the end of the semester. This means that I will have to re-apply to the program and comply with any changes that have been made. I had no knowledge of this prior to the email. I know of at least one degree requirement that has changed, which would force me to take another course. That class would cost me 750 dollars, and that is just the one that I know of.

I was told that if I can complete two humanities/fine arts CLEPs by May 9th, then I will be able to receive my degree without losing matriculation.

The only exams offered which I have not yet taken are Western Civ I, Western Civ II, Spanish, and French.

French is out the window. Spanish I took for two years in high school and I'm sure the basics would come back quickly, but I've heard of students bombing the spanish CLEP after months of prep. I have been studying for Western Civ I intermittently because I was planning on taking that exam. But now there is extreme urgency. I only covered maybe 40% of the material.

So I would need to take both of these exams by Monday. I have to work 4 days between now and then. It doesn't look good for me. These subjects are extensive and require lots of rote memorization. I passed the sociology and psychology CLEPs with less than 5 hours of studying for each. Humanities took maybe 10 hours. I've already put close to that much into Western Civ I and I am nowhere near comfortable with the material.

My only other option is to get in contact with the president of college or someone similar. I don't think that a brief extension would be too much to ask for. Is this reasonable? My situation is rather unique. Not to mention, as one of the few out of state students I have probably put more money towards this degree than anyone else who has ever attended this school. Especially considering that I have taken a lot of excessive science electives that did nothing for my degree, simply because I wanted to learn the material.
maybe read this
http://www.amazon.com/CLEP%C2%AE-Western...lization+1

and pay for instacert do the flashcards InstantCert - Study Guides For CLEP, DANTES, ECE, And GED Exams
I would defiantly suggest IC... But try to get the one done that you have been studying for and then maybe contact the president or dean... That way maybe you have a leg to stand in that you are complying g with there requests??
Bluebooger, nice find. I will buy the ebook so I can begin right away.

Raiderborn, point well noted. I should definitely get one done by May 6th to show effort. If I contact the president or the dean at that point I would expect a positive response. All I am asking for is to extend my matriculated status by a week or two.

Thanks guys
Get started tonight: free resources.....Western Civilization I CLEP Free Study Guide - Free-Clep-Prep.com

and join IC
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
beastcoast94 Wrote:Bluebooger, nice find. I will buy the ebook so I can begin right away.

Raiderborn, point well noted. I should definitely get one done by May 6th to show effort. If I contact the president or the dean at that point I would expect a positive response. All I am asking for is to extend my matriculated status by a week or two.

Thanks guys

don't care for e-books myself
my first choice would be to go to a Barnes & Noble or college bookstore if you have one in your area

then if I couldn't fine the print book I'd get the ebook

but good luck either way

khan also has some stuff
https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/world-history
Do you think they would accept a Prometric (DSST) exam? Most have passed DSST Technical Writing with minimal study. Personally, I found it super easy.

I assume you've taken CLEP Analyzing & Interpreting Literature?

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
How about CLEP Educational Psychology? Considering you've passed other psyc exams, it should be easy.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
This is my school's CLEP policy http://greatbay.edu/sites/default/files/...Policy.pdf

I took analyzing lit 2 months ago... scored a 62 on the computer portion, and I still ended up with a 49 overall because of the essays. The prompts were ridiculous and I ended up rambling about a Twain piece which I had only vaguely remembered. And it was all scored by the english department head who I've had conflict with in the past. Who knows if that had something to do with it.
Not sure you are aware but, if needed, you can retake a failed CLEP after 90 days. If you retake keep essays clean and precise; five sentences per paragraph, five paragraphs total. I've even completed three longer well structured paragraphs when short on time. Better short,structured and on topic then going off on a wordy tangent.

Well, good luck on the western civ exams! A few resources:
- IC flashcards are an excellent resource, be sure to visit the specific exam feedback section. http://www.degreeforum.net/specific-exam...bers-only/
- You can probably get a copy of the Official CLEP study guide and possibly free access to the Peterson's practice quizzes (Peterson's DoD MWR Libraries Education Lifelong Learning Resource Center) through your school library.
- I have also found Quizlet to be a good free resource. Example: https://quizlet.com/23398652/western-civ...ash-cards/

There are quite a few other resources, just search the forum. Wishing you a positive outcome.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)? therightstuff 18 1,865 11-01-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
  Anyone complete any of these studies? (Mexican/Spanish Propios) bjcheung77 7 1,082 09-20-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Average time to complete a Mechanical Engineering Degree soliloquy 8 7,176 08-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: soliloquy
  outlier increasing price in 7 days sialiblo 13 1,372 10-14-2022, 09:44 PM
Last Post: tuckerarabi786
  Clever + Kahoot! <acquisition complete> bjcheung77 0 467 10-04-2021, 11:46 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Flash Cards to Remember More of What We Studied Long Term camjenks 7 1,271 04-26-2020, 11:52 AM
Last Post: eriehiker
  118 Units Complete, How To FINISH? TESU? Narg 2 1,098 11-08-2019, 02:40 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
Question Data Science TESU cleps Greenfields7007 2 1,066 05-08-2019, 04:28 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Useful Free CLEPS TrailRunr 20 6,229 02-15-2019, 03:56 PM
Last Post: clep3705
Information CLEPS and TX Highschool Students kvolivera 4 2,041 02-08-2019, 07:48 AM
Last Post: cookderosa