Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm ready, but overwhelmed!
I've done a lot of searching and in the meantime I just found out that the school district I work for actually gives us a reimbursement for education! If I'm able to achieve a bachelor's they not only will promote me in district, but will also provide a hefty stipend check for completing a degree. I'm finding out how much that is, but in the meantime, can someone point me to the FASTEST PLAN POSSIBLE? I suck at math, but usually learn fast and do GREAT on tests. Itd be great if someone just literally told me what to do, because I'm stuck at choosing from all the options available. Cheap is great, but right now my priority is speed, due to a recent life changing diagnosis, and impending necessary career change. I'll add my current credits below. I'm currently working on the modernstates intro to marketing. I was student at tesu, but had to stop and failed all my classes becausr my computer crashed and i mistakenly thought I had canceled my classes in time. I'll have to pay for those classes, before i can move forward i think, but I want to get started on more credits to transfer in. That was a few years ago. Thanks everyone!

My current credits:

English 1 &2 (6)
Western civ 1&2 (6)
public speaking (3)
gen. Psych (3)
Sociology (3)
human life span development (3)
macroeconomics (3)
world religions (3)
small business management (3)
intro to paralegal studies (3)
FEMA: active shooter
FEMA: needs of children in disaster
[-] The following 1 user Likes sony732's post:
  • Yenisei
Step 1: pick a degree. You said fast so go with TESU BALS.
Step 2: apply and send all your transcripts.

Step 3:
Start with CLEP &DSST. If you fail a CLEP or DSST you have to wait a period of time to retake it, so if you do fail you can work on other items in the interim. I did all of my UL classes for the BALS using DSST.

Once you have completed your CLEP & DSST apply for the study.com scholarship and work on Study.com courses to complete what you could not do through CLEP & DSST.

Somewhere in between work on the free sources of credit, these may be pointless after your evaluation determines how many electives you have.

Step 4: Do the capstone
Step 5: Graduate
Step 6: ???????
Step 7: Profit
Okay i took a screenshot of that so I don't lose it! Maybe I should set that as my background! Thanks for everything I'm on it!
Here are degree plans for TESU's BALS and COSC's BALS.  As far as speed, I'm not sure either one is faster.  But COSC is definitely cheaper at this point.

If you're a good test-taker, I would look at CLEP/DSST, but then also Saylor, UExcel, Davar, Coopersmith & CSU-Global CBE's.  Anything where you don't have to go through a course sounds like it's up your alley, rather than Study.com or SL.  Obviously those are good options for some people, but if you're looking for speed and testing, then skip those for now.

Attached Files
.xlsx   sony732 TESU BALS.xlsx (Size: 46.2 KB / Downloads: 29)
.xlsx   sony732 COSC BALS.xlsx (Size: 14.67 KB / Downloads: 27)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • HAYDENTREE77, sony732
Find out how your reimbursement works. We usually try to keep all tuition and fees to a minimum. If they are just paying you a fixed stipend at the end, that's what you'll want. Luckily that goes hand in hand with going fast.

However, if they are covering actual tuition spent, they may not cover the cost of alternative credit sources we usually recommend or some of the other fees (residency waiver, etc...) that most of our plans have. In that case, you may want to do things a bit differently.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(05-31-2018, 05:06 PM)davewill Wrote: Find out how your reimbursement works. We usually try to keep all tuition and fees to a minimum. If they are just paying you a fixed stipend at the end, that's what you'll want. Luckily that goes hand in hand with going fast.

However, if they are covering actual tuition spent, they may not cover the cost of alternative credit sources we usually recommend or some of the other fees (residency waiver, etc...) that most of our plans have. In that case, you may want to do things a bit differently.

Yes, I forgot about this.

My husband's tuition reimbursement, for example, DOES include the costs for exams like CLEP & DSST, but won't include any "membership" costs like SL and Study.com.  Nor will they pay for anything like Shmoop (a monthly fee).  So I planned his degree out using CLEP, DSST, UExcel, TECEP, Davar, Ed4Credit, Sophia, CSU-Global, etc.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I have been out of the game for a while so I can't help much with the suggestions on classes, but I just wanted to say I agree with jjsafari as far as the first step. If it doesn't matter what degree you have for your district just pick one don't let the information overload slow you down. When I first heard about CLEP many years ago I bought the book to study and tried one practice exam on one cold try I got only 30% correct I thought I am never going to be able to do this and gave up I didn't know that I only needed 50% so I was doing fine for a cold start. I wasted many more years and then tried again, I found this forum and so much information that I was able to figure things out. People were giving and willing to help in so many ways. Eventually I was able to get my degree and it helped me feel better about myself and have more options in life. Life changed and I had to move and I never did do much with my degree, BUT I know I have it and now I am retired and don't need to work, my husband has a good job so life is good, BUT I know life could change again in a flash so I know with the degree much better options are much better should I need to go back to work.

Making a long story shorter (in case you were getting bored) Don't delay any longer just pick a degree and get started even if you are moving a little off course at least you are headed in the right direction. Don't delay because you are overwhelmed just take one step at a time and start moving it will get easier and seem faster once you get the momentum started.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
[-] The following 2 users Like Lindagerr's post:
  • sony732, Yenisei
(05-31-2018, 05:03 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Here are degree plans for TESU's BALS and COSC's BALS.  As far as speed, I'm not sure either one is faster.  But COSC is definitely cheaper at this point.

If you're a good test-taker, I would look at CLEP/DSST, but then also Saylor, UExcel, Davar, Coopersmith & CSU-Global CBE's.  Anything where you don't have to go through a course sounds like it's up your alley, rather than Study.com or SL.  Obviously those are good options for some people, but if you're looking for speed and testing, then skip those for now.

Do you know which one of those might have comp sci or technology credits? I can get those out of the way now!
(05-31-2018, 07:49 PM)sony732 Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 05:03 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Here are degree plans for TESU's BALS and COSC's BALS.  As far as speed, I'm not sure either one is faster.  But COSC is definitely cheaper at this point.

Do you know which one of those might have comp sci or technology credits? I can get those out of the way now!

If you want a computer science degree, WGU is the way to go. They integrate alot of industry certificates into the program, so you'll have both a degree and the certs to back up your competency.
From what I heard from a teacher it's a yearly stipend that comes with our checks in December, but I'd have to be finished Before September. I looked at the degree plans and i think i can do the work on time, but not sure about the graduation date. I'm calling tesu today. Since they already have my other credits on board it might be the fastest option!

(05-31-2018, 03:18 PM)jjsafari Wrote: Step 1: pick a degree. You said fast so go with TESU BALS.
Step 2: apply and send all your transcripts.

Step 3:
Start with CLEP &DSST. If you fail a CLEP or DSST you have to wait a period of time to retake it, so if you do fail you can work on other items in the interim. I did all of my UL classes for the BALS using DSST.

Once you have completed your CLEP & DSST apply for the study.com scholarship and work on Study.com courses to complete what you could not do through CLEP & DSST.

Somewhere in between work on the free sources of credit, these may be pointless after your evaluation determines how many electives you have.

Step 4: Do the capstone
Step 5: Graduate
Step 6: ???????
Step 7: Profit
Which dsst tests did you use for your ul credits?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New here; intrigued, slightly confused and overwhelmed jobojoe285 29 1,658 04-19-2024, 06:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free access to job ready Coursera certs cardiacclep 22 3,998 06-28-2022, 06:53 AM
Last Post: sayazop
  Am I ready for my CLEP tests? Jenniferinfl 21 3,815 01-30-2019, 10:43 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  Overwhelmed Newbie! Where to start? CiggyTardust 15 3,249 01-08-2019, 11:05 AM
Last Post: mysonx3
  I’m ready but need help Suddenlyshestudies 7 6,808 07-24-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Will I be ready for my clep exam? JMatt502 8 2,157 06-21-2018, 12:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Am I ready to take CLEP Macroeconomics exam if I score 70 percent on the AP Macroecon phthadani 2 1,387 03-23-2018, 11:03 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  GED: Science College Ready TESU Equivalence? eriehiker 2 1,350 02-04-2018, 02:23 AM
Last Post: eriehiker
  "am i ready?" 97% on Princ of Mgmt Modern States test Q's... blaczkowitz 2 2,158 01-06-2018, 10:00 PM
Last Post: blaczkowitz
  Need a direction...overwhelmed dfsquare 3 1,657 10-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Last Post: High_Order1