Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In 1913, Thomas Edison proclaimed that film would change school
In 1913, Thomas Edison proclaimed that, due to the invention of film, "Our school system will be completely changed in the next ten years" (Saettler, 1968, p. 68).
The History of Distance Education

Did this happen?? Smile Or is the Internet allowing this shift to occur?
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
That's so cool. I'd like to think that it was Thomas Edison's comment that caused the founders of TESC to name their college after him, because of their focus on distance learning, and not just because he's one of New Jersey's famous minds.
I love finding out stuff like that. Just recently I found out, while studying for English Lit, that The Doors took their name from "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell" by William Blake. “If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite”.

But back to your article, I definitely think it's the internet that is allowing the shift to occur, simply because of the nature of it. It is so much easier to do a quick internet search for whatever audio/visual aides you desire, than to access them through other forms. (VHS, DVD, movie reels) Then you have to have the specialized equipment to play them on. I guess Thomas Edison underestimated bureaucracy, thinking it would "completely change" in 10 years.
Lyanne

DSST (27)
Personal Finance - 448 Astronomy - 61 Civil War and Reconstruction - 68 History of Vietnam War - 68 Substance Abuse - 59 World Religions - 473 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union - 55 Environment and Humanity: Race to Save the Planet -61 Intro to Modern Middle East - 58
CLEP (48)
American Literature-73 American Government-62 U.S. History I - 64 U.S. History II -73 A&I Literature - 75 Western Civ I - 58 Western Civ II - 61 English Literature - 67 Humanities -76 Intro Sociology - 62 Social Sciences & History - 69
Other (43)
English Composition, Literature & Composition, Art Appreciation, General Psychology, Intro to Anthropology, Abnormal Psychology, Travel Agency Operations, Advanced Hospitality (7 credits), Intro Computer Software, Digital Photography, War and American Society, TESC Capstone
ALEKS (3)
Intermediate Algebra

**Not official, but BA History at Thomas Edison State College!!!!!!*
Yes he underestimated interest groups like teachers unions that are loathe to change from the established model. I wrote a paper in 9th grade English criticizing teachers for practicing 19th century teaching techniques. My teacher wasn't very happy with the paper and said that I should research 19th century teaching techniques. I think I should have said 1st century techniques because the lecture is really an old form of teaching.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Thought you might find this interesting. In the Air Force our enlisted PME (Professional Military Education) is mandatory in-residence leadership training at three different phases in your career: about 4 years in (Airman Leadership School, ALS), about 10 years in (NCO Academy), and about 16 years in (Senior NCO Academy). ALS is at almost every base, but NCO Academy requires people to travel from home base to regional academies. There is only one SNCO Academy in the entire Air Force, in Alabama. Courses at each level run roughly six weeks give-or-take a bit. There are roughly 230,000 enlisted in the Air Force according to the last numbers I saw. That's a hell of a lot of people flying around for education. And this doesn't even begin to take into account mid-career technical upgrade training -- this is ONLY leadership training.

Because of the costs involved and the capabilities available, there is very serious discussion now of completely revamping the training methodology and going to a blended format -- online core curriculum for a few weeks on your own, followed by a 1-2 week "in-residence" at your local base. A couple of instructors could come to your base every few months instead of you flying to them. Officers are already doing work with blackboard for some work. A coworker of mine is taking an optional course from Air University on cultural communication to fill a block for his CCAF degree, and it's essentially the same as taking a TESC online course, complete with online discussions.

Things are going to become very interesting very soon. E-learning is driving the bus big-time and we are going to re-structure how the entire Air Force approaches leadership training as a result.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 297 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,079 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 18 1,216 06-11-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,525 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,587 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 909 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 557 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Worst School Name Alpha 13 2,064 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Should taxpayers fund any and every choice in school and/or major? sanantone 14 1,653 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Global warming, human-caused climate change! bjcheung77 12 1,619 07-21-2021, 09:27 PM
Last Post: freeloader