Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Information Technology Degree?
Hello everyone, I'm currently attending a community college for a degree in Information Technology. About six months ago, I came across the DIY Degree service provided by Jay Cross. I emailed him twice asking if it was possible to test out of college with a degree in Information Technology. Unfortunately, I never received a response. I did some research and didn't really find any solid answers, so I eventually just pushed it to the side. I came across the DIY website again and it sparked the interest in testing out of college once more. I apologize an advance for being ignorant on this subject, and college in general. To be honest, I wasn't planning on going to college because the financial situation with my family. I was working to support them, but my father eventually found a decent job and told me that I should quit it and go to college. Point is, I lack knowledge on these subjects. The main question I have is, is it possible to test out of college with a degree in Information Technology? Below is some information that will hopefully help answer my question.

Below are the courses that I have completed or am currently taking at my community college:

COMPLETED CREDITS
English Composition 1: 3 credits
Elementary Spanish (Humanities): 3 credits
Precalculus 1: 3 credits
Intro to Sociology 1 (Social Science): 3 credits
Computer Science with Java: 4 credits

IN PROGRESS
Applied Computer Technology: 3 credits
Professional Keyboarding: 3 credits
Intro to Computer Programming (Python): 4 credits

Total Credits: 26

After looking at the academic offerings of the big 3 colleges, Excelsior is the only one that offers a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology. TESU offers only an associates in Information Technology. Will the above credits transfer? I downloaded the pdf file of their academic plan for this degree. Are these courses eligible to be tested out of?

Heres a link to the actual pdf: https://my.excelsior.edu/c/document_libr...upId=78666

Lets assume that some of the credits I have will transfer. I have updated the academic plan to show the classes that I need to take (test out of), as well as the ones that I assume will transfer:

ARTS AND SCIENCE
Communications (Must include 6 credits in the Written English Requirements): 9 credits
[INDENT]English Composition 1 (COMPLETED): 3 [/INDENT]
[INDENT]English Composition 2 ENG 102[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Speech OR Technical Writing[/INDENT]

Ethics: 3 credits
[INDENT]BUS 323 Business Ethics[/INDENT]

Humanities Elective: 3 credits
[INDENT]Elementary Spanish (COMPLETED): 3[/INDENT]

Social Sciences/History: 9 credits
[INDENT]Intro to Sociology (COMPLETED): 3 credits[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Economics[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Psychology[/INDENT]

Mathematics and Natural Sciences: 12 credits
[INDENT]Looks like precalc is a no go, so I'll need to start from scratch[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Calculus 1 (TECH 201 Foundations of Technology Problem Solving)[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Discrete Math (TECH 205 Discrete Structures) [/INDENT]
[INDENT]Geology[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Biology[/INDENT]

Arts and Sciences Electives: 24 credits
[INDENT]No info here, just says I need 24 credits, will look further[/INDENT]

TOTAL ARTS AND SCIENCES COMPONENT: 60 credits

INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY COMPONENT
Object-Oriented Programming
[INDENT]IT 210 Object-Oriented Programming[/INDENT]
Computer Systems Architecture
[INDENT]IT 321 Computer Systems Architecture[/INDENT]
Operating Systems
[INDENT]IT 360 Operating Systems[/INDENT]
Database Concepts
[INDENT]IT 370 Database Management Systems[/INDENT]
Data Communications and Networking
[INDENT]IT 350 Business Data Communications[/INDENT]
Web Design and Development
[INDENT]IT 371 Web Design and Development[/INDENT]
Human-Computer Interaction
[INDENT]IT 375 Human - Computer Interactive Design[/INDENT]
Overview of Computer Security
[INDENT]IT 380 Overview of Computer Security[/INDENT]
Project Management
[INDENT]IT 390 Project Management[/INDENT]
System Administration
[INDENT]IT 460 System Administration[/INDENT]
IT 495 Integrated Technology Assessment (capstone)
CONCENTRATION REQUIREMENTS (general option)
[INDENT]CYS 500 Foundations of Cybersecurity
CYS 504 Communications Security
CYS 530 Project Management
CYS 541 Ethics, Legal, and Compliance Issues in Cybersecurity
CYS 550 Leadership and Communication in Cybersecurity
CYS 560 Information Assurance
CYS 596 Cybersecurity Capstone
Technical Elective (Maybe Computer Science with Java counts?)
Technical Elective (Maybe Intro to computer programming (python) counts?)
Technical Elective (I couldn't find other electives, will look further)
[/INDENT]

TOTAL TECHNOLOGY COMPONENT: 48 credits

FREE ELECTIVE COMPONENT: 12 credits
[INDENT]INL 102 Information Literacy[/INDENT]
[INDENT]I couldn't find other electives, will look further[/INDENT]

TOTAL DEGREE CREDITS: 120 credits

Here are the classes that I don't think will transfer:
Applied Computer Technology
Precalculus 1
Professional Keyboarding

Are the courses in the academic plan eligible to test out of?

I couldn't find the electives that they offer, but I will continue to search. Is it really possible to test out of these classes? It sounds to good to be true. If it is possible, I have no idea how to go about taking these tests and what books to get for the courses. I feel lost trying to figure this out. I am so tempted to purchase Jays service, because he says he will provide EVERYTHING I need for this path, but after reading about him on this forum I'm a bit skeptical. I believe taking this route (testing out) is the way I want to go. I was never fond of sitting in a class room for months watching someone go through a powerpoint. For the most part, I always learned better by reading books and doing self study. I just lack the knowledge about this whole process. I tremendously appreciate any help any of you have to offer!

Best Regards,

SRPA
You got lucky that Jay Cross never responded and you didn't waste your money on him.

IT is not a particularly easy degree to test out of. You might have more luck in a competency based program like WGU. But I'll let someone more familiar with Excelsior see if they can work something out.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I heard he's no longer with us. Plus you can't fault a guy for using what he knows to help and get paid for it. After all isn't that what we do daily.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
That's a bummer, regardless how we all felt about his business.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
You can test out of a BSBA. The idea is that you would understand business concepts. Most IT jobs are about solving business problems. Better to have a BSBA than no degree. There is value in expediency. A BSBA might be able to be completed much sooner.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
There's the BSBA in Computer Information Systems at TESU, which is easy to test out of. It won't be as good as a BSIT or bachelor's in computer science, but it checks the box. You can learn more advanced IT skills on your own and earn certifications. Also, TESU does offer an IT degree; it's called a Bachelor of Science in Applied Science and Technology in Information Technology. I know the name sounds ridiculous, but that's what it is.

The name "Jay Cross" triggers people on this forum; but, if he really is gone, I'll hold my tongue.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I recommend applying to WGU, they take a lot of credits and the rest of their education is test(competency) based. They are amazing for IT degrees because whilst you are learning IT, you are also getting certifications at the same time. The degree + certifications will put you in a great spot when looking for careers. WGU costs tuition per semester(which is about half a year), you can complete however many courses you like within that time frame and it will still cost the same. I think their tuition is around 3,000, so even if it took you 2 years, that'd only be 12,000 dollars.

Quote:As a competency-based institution, WGU uses third-party professional certifications in lieu of final exams when certifications are available for the subject. That means in order to pass a course, a student has to pass a certification exam; the cost of which is included in WGU’s tuition). Genesir is a strong supporter of the model and CompTIA certification
Started Sept. 2016 -Thomas Edison State Univeristy - BSBA - Marketing 120/120 DONE
ACE/ALT 41 CR
TECEP: 15 CR
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra l College Algebra l Statistics l
The Institutes: Ethics
Saylor: Principles of Marketing
Straighterline: American Government l Intro to Religion l Principles of Management l English Comp II l
Study.com : Business 308 l History 108 l Principles of Finance l Digital Marketing
CSU CBE: Market Research l
TECEP: Strategic Management l  Public relations l Advertising l Sales Mgmt l Marketing Comm
Community College B&M Courses (2013-2015) 64 CR General Ed. and Business
Short-term Objective: TESU BSBA in Marketing by Sept. 2017 (DONE!) Graduating in June
Long-term Objective: Career in marketing then eventually MBA or MSC in Marketing later on  
For WGU, be sure to take as many general ed courses as you can via alternate methods before you enroll because they won't add them once you've started. Rowan555's son is working on prerequisites for a WGU degree; she might have some advice.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my post! Looking at the advice from the responses, testing out with a BSBA seems like a better option for me. WGU seems like a great option, but I don't fully understand how they work. For example, do you actually take courses? Also, they a have "competency" based program that consists of exams, papers, etc. that seems like a regular class with assignments, projects, and whatnot. Anyway, I'll keep that option on the back-burner for now and do more research if I decide to go that route. Now for the BSBA, I think that would actually be a great idea because, like clep3705 said, I'll have a background in business. If I were to succeed in graduating with in a year, that'll give me plenty of time to focus solely on obtaining as many certifications that I am capable of receiving. What do you guys think? Would it be better to get a degree in IT and certifications or get a BSBA and certifications? I've read somewhere (like clep3705 siad) that I should have some background in business if I go into the IT field. One more thing, would anyone happen to have a plan (or a link to one) for testing out of TESU with a BSBA? Thank you all for your kind and helpful responses!

Best Regards,

SRPA
A BSBA will actually put you at a disadvantage for jobs where you'll be competing with IT, engineering, and computer science majors, especially if you don't have any experience. Like I said earlier, you can sell a BSBA in Computer Information Systems as an IT-related degree, but it won't be as good as an IT or computer science degree. You can learn business and CS/IT concepts on your own, so it's a matter of choosing what will be the best for getting you the job. Honestly, the BSBA will make it harder for you to get a job in the IT field. However, a BSBA in CIS might be your most affordable option.

WGU and other competency-based programs are fine if you are receiving financial aid or you can afford to pay close to $10,000 or maybe even more out of pocket. The longer you take, the more expensive these programs get. Don't choose a competency-based program if you can't finish a large number of credits within a short period of time.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 584 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 259 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 599 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,688 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  So... I decided doing a UK Level 5 on Information Technology, here's why elcastor21 15 1,013 03-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 566 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 497 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 282 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 841 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,225 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM