Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Initial Questions About BA History (T
Thank you for the link this does help. How would it work if someone already had the US and Western Civ used in a prior degree? I assume I would have to fill the gap with other history courses? Has anyone else run into this issue before?
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
Referring to mysonx3's post earlier where he mentioned that taking 16 credits in a single term is the most cost-effective (but also most stressful) approach, saving you ~2k, could someone point me in the right direction of figuring out the total costs of the TESU portion of the degree cost (everything except the amount I'm paying to earn the alternative credits).

I am planning on taking 16 credits in a single term, 3 for the capstone, 3 for SOC-110, 3 for historical methods, and then two 3 credit courses and one single credit course (Jane Austen, referenced earlier). How much am I looking at spending all in all when the time comes? I know there are several factors, including the $2800 residency fee waiver and the fact that the capstone costs more, and I'm just not sure where all of the relevant information is located to calculate that number and break it down.
Flat tution: (4k in state, 5k out of state) I don't think you can use the study.com discount here.

If you were only to do 6 credits (SOS-110 and capstone)
It would be 2200 if you got the study.com discount for 6 credits. And then 2800 for the residency waiver. That adds up to 5k.

Note that none of these numbers count any aid you could get. If you got the Pell grant alongside the 16 credits it would make it even cheaper. The Pell gives you more money if you take more credits. Also you could apply TESU scholarships since you a full time TESU student.

As you can see it is the same cost. But if you decided to take 9 credits at TESU then might as well take 16 because it is cheaper at that point. Plus if you are doing 16 credits at once you are saving the money it would have cost to get those credits from other sources. For history it makes sense since you have to take historical methods any way so doing the 16 credits would for sure save money.

Have you given any thought as to what TESU courses you tare taking? If you want to make things easier choose guided study or e-pack courses because they provided more flexibility. E-packs are more self paced.

TESU also charges $50 application fee and a $300 graduation fee to be paid when you graduate no matter what plan choose. Note that it does include a cap and gown and and the chance to go to commencement in NJ if you'd like.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • historicalarsonist
(08-16-2019, 08:19 AM)natshar Wrote: Flat tution: (4k in state, 5k out of state) I don't think you can use the study.com discount here.

If you were only to do 6 credits (SOS-110 and capstone)
It would be 2200 if you got the study.com discount for 6 credits. And then 2800 for the residency waiver. That adds up to 5k.

Note that none of these numbers count any aid you could get. If you got the Pell grant alongside the 16 credits it would make it even cheaper. The Pell gives you more money if you take more credits. Also you could apply TESU scholarships since you a full time TESU student.

As you can see it is the same cost. But if you decided to take 9 credits at TESU then might as well take 16 because it is cheaper at that point. Plus if you are doing 16 credits at once you are saving the money it would have cost to get those credits from other sources. For history it makes sense since you have to take historical methods any way so doing the 16 credits would for sure save money.

Have you given any thought as to what TESU courses you tare taking? If you want to make things easier choose guided study or e-pack courses because they provided more flexibility. E-packs are more self paced.

TESU also charges $50 application fee and a $300 graduation fee to be paid when you graduate no matter what plan choose. Note that it does include a cap and gown and and the chance to go to commencement in NJ if you'd like.

So let me clarify to make sure I understand: the residency requirement only exists for students who decide to pay per-credit tuition for the term (presumably because they only need a few credits, and paying per credit would be cheaper). Students who pay flat-rate tuition for the term are not required to pay a residency requirement waiver.

So that brings me to the flat-rate out of state tuition of $4,928. Add the graduation fee of $300 and the application fee of $50, and the total has now reached $5,278.

Are there any other expenses I'm not considering? I could have sworn that I read that there were additional fees associated with the capstone, for example.
I've not taken the capstone so I don't know. But there might be a fee for the books for something. But you'd have to pay that either way flat rate or per credit.

I don't think there are any other fees. Maybe someone else can chime in. They are late registration fees, bounced check fee and other fees that apply only to certain situations. But if you are responsible you can easily avoid those.

Yes I rounded to the nearest thousand 4928 is basically 5k at that point. You get the idea.

To clarify. The flat rate is an automatic tution plan when someone takes at least 10 credits at TESU is put in instead of per credit when they hit 10 credits. The residency waiver is a fee that anyone has to pay if they don't do at least 16 credits at TESU. They don't have anything to do with each other. Say someone takes 12 credits at TESU in a term and no other courses at TESU before they graduate. They would get flat rate and still have to pay the waiver. Say another person takes a one course 3-4 credit every term over 5 terms. She would not get the flat rate but still avoid the wavier. People have suggested doing all 16 at once to save money because it makes sense financially and time wise not pay for another term. However you do not have to do all 16 credits in one term to avoid the wavier, as long as you hit 16 somehow you are good.

And the application fee, graduation fee and all other fees have nothing to do with what plan you chose or if you got the waiver or not. Everyone has to to pay them.
  • historicalarsonist
(08-16-2019, 10:18 AM)natshar Wrote: I've not taken the capstone so I don't know. But there might be a fee for the books for something. But you'd have to pay that either way flat rate or per credit.

I don't think there are any other fees. Maybe someone else can chime in. They are late registration fees, bounced check fee and other fees that apply only to certain situations. But if you are responsible you can easily avoid those.

Yes I rounded to the nearest thousand 4928 is basically 5k at that point. You get the idea.

To clarify. The flat rate is an automatic tution plan when someone takes at least 10 credits at TESU is put in instead of per credit when they hit 10 credits. The residency waiver is a fee that anyone has to pay if they don't do at least 16 credits at TESU. They don't have anything to do with each other. Say someone takes 12 credits at TESU in a term and no other courses at TESU before they graduate. They would get flat rate and still have to pay the waiver. Say another person takes a one course 3-4 credit every term over 5 terms. She would not get the flat rate but still avoid the wavier. People have suggested doing all 16 at once to save money because it makes sense financially and time wise not pay for another term. However you do not have to do all 16 credits in one term to avoid the wavier, as long as you hit 16 somehow you are good.

And the application fee, graduation fee and all other fees have nothing to do with what plan you chose or if you got the waiver or not. Everyone has to to pay them.

Yeah, I guess I am just confused because the TESU website says that there is a 16 credit requirement for "students enrolled under the per-credit tuition plan," and that students who do not intend to meet this requirement must pay a residency waiver fee.

I'm not sure how that can be interpreted as meaning: anyone who doesn't earn at least 16 credits at TESU must pay the residency waiver fee, when it clearly states it applies only to students enrolled under per-credit tuition, and that it "does not apply to students enrolled under the comprehensive tuition plan." I'm not even sure what exactly the 'comprehensive tuition plan' is, but the entire section (quoted below) clearly seems to indicate that the residency requirement only applies to students paying per-credit.

Quote:

• Students enrolled under the Per Credit Tuition Plan have a credit residency requirement of 16 Online, Guided Study or Epack credits that covers both associate and bachelor's degree programs. This Credit Residency Requirement can be waived by paying a Residency Waiver fee, which is paid by students if they do not intend to meet the credit residency requirements of the University. This fee does not apply to students enrolled under the Comprehensive Tuition Plan.

That being said, the explanation you have given sounds like a lot more logical policy for the University to implement. With that in mind, I'm inclined to believe that your explanation is accurate and that their website is flat out wrong/misleading, as sad as that sounds. For reference, here is the page I am citing:

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/r...quirements

All of the above being said, the specific distinction above really isn't relevant to my situation at all, so I'm not entirely sure why I went on this rant. I am virtually required to take 3 specific classes at TESU, so as previously mentioned there is no reason not to get extra credits for the same price, so I'm planning on earning at least 16 credits anyways. I guess the last thing to do is determine whether or not additional fees will exist for the courses I plan on taking (capstone, SOC-110, Historical Methods) beyond the application fee, graduation fee, and flat tuition for 1 term. Does anyone have any information on this matter? I'm looking to avoid surprises when it comes to the total cost of the process.
What you quoted is from the comprehensive tution plan. Notice where it says comprehensive. Which is an old plans doesn't exist anymore. It allowed for 36 credits to be earned in a one year period. TESU doesn't update their website and what I said is correct.

(08-16-2019, 01:16 PM)natshar Wrote: What you quoted is from the comprehensive tution plan. Notice where it says comprehensive. Which is an old plans doesn't exist anymore. It allowed for 36 credits to be earned in a one year period. TESU doesn't update their website and what I said is correct.

That page has nothing to do with the comprehensive tuition plan - it is just the basic 'University-Wide Policies' page, which one would think would... well, apply to everyone at the university.

As far as I can tell, if you are correct about a 16 credit requirement for all students to avoid the waiver regardless of their tuition plans, which I 100% believe you are, then this portion of the page is just flat out incorrect/outdated information. Perhaps that shouldn't be a surprise given the things I've read about the TESU website on the forum!

Regardless, thank you for clearing up the requirements for the waiver.
(08-16-2019, 02:20 PM)historicalarsonist Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 01:16 PM)natshar Wrote: What you quoted is from the comprehensive tution plan. Notice where it says comprehensive. Which is an old plans doesn't exist anymore. It allowed for 36 credits to be earned in a one year period. TESU doesn't update their website and what I said is correct.

That page has nothing to do with the comprehensive tuition plan - it is just the basic 'University-Wide Policies' page, which one would think would... well, apply to everyone at the university.

As far as I can tell, if you are correct about a 16 credit requirement for all students to avoid the waiver regardless of their tuition plans, which I 100% believe you are, then this portion of the page is just flat out incorrect/outdated information. Perhaps that shouldn't be a surprise given the things I've read about the TESU website on the forum!

Also keep in mind the flat rate tution is new as July 1st this year. So the link you are reading from exists from a new time where flate rate wasn't an option and the only options were per credit or comprehensive.
  • historicalarsonist
(08-16-2019, 02:41 PM)natshar Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 02:20 PM)historicalarsonist Wrote:

Also keep in mind the flat rate tution is new as July 1st this year. So the link you are reading from exists from a new time where flate rate wasn't an option and the only options were per credit or comprehensive.

Ah, now that makes sense. Can't imagine how difficult this process would be without your help on this forum to translate the inaccuracies on their website into accurate info, haha! Thanks again.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 810 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
Lightbulb TESU - Course Transfer Questions mweichert 12 1,023 02-15-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Troubles with Sophia Transfer (Science & History) poisonedapple 5 618 12-27-2023, 11:34 AM
Last Post: poisonedapple
  French international student questions about TESU BACS azuki 19 1,865 11-03-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  International students would like to ask some questions. Ron9 4 772 11-02-2023, 11:25 AM
  Study.com Transfer to TESU Questions Carnation 14 1,630 11-01-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  few questions about TESU sekiflying 3 432 08-20-2023, 11:13 AM
  BALS Concentration/GE Questions PLEX 3 429 06-30-2023, 11:25 AM
  Two questions regarding to 1. TESU second degree and 2. bachelor to master program lylx1981 5 1,601 05-17-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Henry_Patterson
  Testing out of History & Civics and Ethical Leadership requirements? WHOASIS1 6 794 03-31-2023, 09:36 PM
Last Post: dfrecore