Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inquiry: NCCRS Credit Questions
Hi Everybody,

I have mainly ACE credits (I am not concerned with the provider shutting down, as I store them in the ACE Credit Registry), but I noticed in my TESU evaluation I have a couple of courses that are NCCRS credits, and I may take some more NCCRS.  

My question is, how would I store these credits, or what is the process to do so?  Is there an NCCRS credit registry like ACE? What happens if the provider I took it with goes down?  The courses go directly from the provider to the institution, bypassing NCCRS.

From reading previous threads, several ACE and NCCRS providers have gone bust (JumpCourse, Javaonline.org, as examples for both).  I don't want to work on some courses and then, later on, have the company providing the courses shut down and lose my hard earned credits.

The only "safeguard" or option I can think of is to apply those courses to the institution that you attend, such as TESU in my case.  The drawback to this is that, it's only available for TESU - other colleges such as Charter Oak, Excelsior or WGU won't have those course information.

What would you do in your case?  For example, I want to take courses at Davar Academy who only has NCCRS courses, but they 'drop dead' next year (hopefully not, just using them as an example, not to curse/jinx them in any way).
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki
(06-24-2018, 02:19 PM)Lewis.Yim Wrote: Hi Everybody,

I have mainly ACE credits (I am not concerned with the provider shutting down, as I store them in the ACE Credit Registry), but I noticed in my TESU evaluation I have a couple of courses that are NCCRS credits, and I may take some more NCCRS.  

My question is, how would I store these credits, or what is the process to do so?  Is there an NCCRS credit registry like ACE? What happens if the provider I took it with goes down?  The courses go directly from the provider to the institution, bypassing NCCRS.

From reading previous threads, several ACE and NCCRS providers have gone bust (JumpCourse, Javaonline.org, as examples for both).  I don't want to work on some courses and then, later on, have the company providing the courses shut down and lose my hard earned credits.

The only "safeguard" or option I can think of is to apply those courses to the institution that you attend, such as TESU in my case.  The drawback to this is that, it's only available for TESU - other colleges such as Charter Oak, Excelsior or WGU won't have those course information.

What would you do in your case?  For example, I want to take courses at Davar Academy who only has NCCRS courses, but they 'drop dead' next year (hopefully not, just using them as an example, not to curse/jinx them in any way).

You have it right. There is no built-in credit registry for NCCRS like there is for ACE. The only way to "safeguard" the credits is to send them directly to the college you plan to graduate from. If you fail to use them and the source of credits goes away, you could be in trouble.

You could ask the source of credits to send you an official sealed transcript for your own records which you may be able to store and use in an emergency, but there is no guarantee that a college would accept that if it doesn't come directly from the institution itself.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I would pick the school you plan to graduate from, but possibly also send the NCCRS transcript to your backup, second choice school, and have them evaluate it. At some schools, you get that done for the application fee. But personally I wouldn't worry about it either way because a lot of the courses could be done at Study.com or other cheap sources if needed. I would just want to be safe for courses that are unique.

It is beyond bizarre that NCCRS doesn’t have a centralized transcript service like ACE. It’s so simple to implement, and could make NCCRS a little money by charging a nominal fee for sending transcripts. It frustrates me every time this comes up.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Excelsior OneTranscriptService?

https://www.excelsior.edu/onetranscript
(06-24-2018, 09:25 PM)decimon Wrote: Excelsior OneTranscriptService?

https://www.excelsior.edu/onetranscript

That doesn't help in the future, as most schools want credits directly from the source - they won't take it from a transcript.  This service is only if you really need a transcript and want all of your credits on a single one.  Even then, I'm not sure how useful this is.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
This is the single reason I haven't pursued any NCCRS credit.
From another angle, the NCCRS credits should be 'locked in' if accepted by a school for an awarded degree, no?

If I get a BA in Moon Baying with some NCCRS credits in the mix then those credits should be as good as any when applying for an MA in Moon Baying, no?
Be aware that if you send a transcript directly to TESU from Study.com, it may end up saying NCCRS because some courses are BOTH ACE and NCCRS through them. This does not mean it's a problem though - you just need to make sure it's also on your ACE transcript.

I agree that the lack of an NCCRS database is a major drawback to that system.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-25-2018, 10:19 AM)decimon Wrote: From another angle, the NCCRS credits should be 'locked in' if accepted by a school for an awarded degree, no?

If I get a BA in  Moon Baying with some NCCRS credits in the mix then those credits should be as good as any when applying for an MA in Moon Baying, no?

Generally speaking, individual credits don't matter when applying to grad school, just that you were awarded a bachelor's degree. If the grad program has prerequisite course requirements, then those courses matter, and in that case the grad school may be happy with the transcript from the school that granted you credit. They may also not accept alternative credits for their prerequisites at all, or insist on grades for them.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 Additional Google Certificates Approved for ACE Credit MNomadic 8 947 02-02-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: lynnii2
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 309 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Credit Transfer StudyKing21 1 501 01-19-2024, 12:57 PM
  Free credit course website for non-American Pinko64 3 676 11-04-2023, 05:51 PM
  Does Clovis Community College accept Sophia credit? eliment 7 822 10-29-2023, 07:45 PM
  Linked University Questions for Sophia jdubley 8 1,287 09-28-2023, 10:21 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Study.com: Upcoming Changes to Credit-Granting Courses inf 28 3,785 09-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Send Saylor credit to credly vetvso 4 1,519 09-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  TADA credit NapoleonInRags 16 1,879 05-05-2023, 11:11 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia & Study questions CM1999 4 1,171 04-02-2023, 07:20 PM
Last Post: smarterby1degree