Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inside Higher Ed : A Call for Accreditation of Learning that occurs Outside College
A growing clamor is calling for an accreditor to oversee the quality of college-level learning that occurs outside of college.
The challenge could be taken on by an existing accrediting agency -- or a new one -- that develops a specialty in non-institutional providers like StraighterLine and Udacity. Or, with more of a trailblazing approach, an accreditor could approve individual courses rather than degrees.
If either idea becomes a reality it would add a seal of approval for a constellation of online course providers and, perhaps, open the door for them to federal financial aid.
The current accreditation system has taken plenty of hits lately. President Obama, Congressional Republicans, think tanks and Bill Gates are among many critics who say accreditors -- who are outsourced gate-keepers for the federal government -- need to do more to encourage innovation and competition...

Read more: An accreditor for emerging models in higher education | Inside Higher Ed
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
I agree, but I'll believe it when I see it. The higher education establishment has a vested interest in shutting down low cost innovators. When MOOCS first came onto the scene the higher education commentators were enthusiastic supporters. They all yelled about how MOOCS were great and that now a poor child living sub-Sahara Africa or the jungles of South America could now have access to an education from MIT, Harvard, and Stanford as long as they had internet access (preferably powered by windmills).

Then students taking these courses started asking why they couldn't be recognized for college credit. The pundits then quickly changed their tune. Now they started pointing out how students didn't really get the full benefits of a college course if they didn't actually attend the class. You can't REALLY learn unless you are engaged in discussions with the professor and your peers in the classroom environment. Please ignore the test scores of the online students who have passed the class (they were probably cheating anyway). MOOCS are bad. They are a disservice to the public. They'll destroy high education. They exploit professors. Bad, Bad, Bad!
BA Liberal Studies from Thomas Edison State University
Proctored finals are the only issue I see that makes any significant difference.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
UptonSinclair Wrote:Proctored finals are the only issue I see that makes any significant difference.

COURSEA is apparently using a technology that personally identifies you by your unique typing signature.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
That is a little creepy. My typing style would change significantly depending on how stressed out I was about the information.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
UptonSinclair Wrote:That is a little creepy. My typing style would change significantly depending on how stressed out I was about the information.

Here is the link to how it works.

https://www.coursera.org/signature/#cour...ce=catalog
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
That is kind of creepy.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Israel Attack Ignites Civil War Inside Both Political Parties LevelUP 17 1,978 01-03-2024, 06:58 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  The middlemen of online higher ed article cardiacclep 0 418 12-31-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Russian Fired Missiles Striking Inside NATO Member Poland Boarder LevelUP 7 992 12-30-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: Personherebb9
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,285 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  “Karen” threatens to call cops on a braai in South Africa Personherebb9 3 1,085 12-01-2022, 06:21 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  College of Golf Alpha 5 676 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 897 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Degreed raises money for their Learning & Upskilling Platform bjcheung77 0 472 09-02-2022, 06:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,452 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 516 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL