Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
InstaCert College Math CLEP Prep - a little disappointed
Hi all, my first post. I signed up to InstaCert a few weeks back in an effort to study for my first of many CLEPs/DSSTs - College Math. Disclaimer - I have not done any real math since highschool (coming up on 20 years ago) so I knew that I needed all the help I can get. So my forthcoming review takes that into account, so you all don't think I'm being too harsh when I say I am a little disappointed with InstaCert preparation for my first test.

Score: 58 (a pass, and I'll take it! But I "felt" I was going to be in the 60s when I clicked the button)

CLEP Prep: The good. The breadth of the flashcards and the quality of the content was excellent. I quickly realized that I needed more of a "narrative" since it has been so long since I studied math at all. Also, they didn't teach Sets, Venn Diagrams, Probability, etc, back in the day so there was a significant amount of new information that I had to assimilate. Oddly enough I sat next to Math teacher on a plane last week while I was using InstaCert and looking for a good description of the break down of certain equations, and she recommended CK12.com for a free online text book type source. I found the website very helpful, as well as coolmath.com, mathisfun.com, khanacademy videos, purprlemath.... there really is a plethora of information out there which helped. But my primary prep was with InstaCert and I would recommend it to a friend in a heartbeat.

The not-so-good. I won't say the "bad" but the source of my disappointment was that the InstaCert content for this CLEP does not cover Financial Math, which is now 20% of the CLEP according to the description on the CLEP website. This content was surprisingly hard to find in a neat package. I believe I finally found a decent group of lessons on simple interest, compound interest, and continuous compound interest at coolmath. But for a paid service, I was surprised of the oversight and a little frustrated that I had to look so hard. There were a couple Standard Deviation questions in the test that were not covered, but since I paid so much attention to the writeup on the CLEP site, I used the above online sources to brush up on the basics for that as well.

Honestly, if I hadn't paid so much attention to CLEP writeup, and missed the opportunity to study the Financial math and other small outliers, I probably wouldn't have passed and that is what compelled me to post my experience.

Thanks,
Jesse
If you still want to take more math courses to brush up or as a refresher, you can take ALEKS for practice and if you get 70% on their assessments, there are several that provide college credit for $20/month subscription.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 587 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,185 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,539 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,934 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 234 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 501 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 392 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 731 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 205 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 248 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP