Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Intermediate Accounting II
Keep in mind that what I say below is not only for you, but for anybody reading over our shoulders who may have the same situation as you have. So chew the fish and spit out the bones. Smile

Synicaal Wrote:SL has Accounting I and Accounting II courses - Those transfer to TESU at The Financial and Managerial Accounting.

I spent a few minutes this morning reading all those course descriptions at SL. I compared them with two CCs near me, one of which offers a very robust Associate's degree in accounting (offering Financial, Managerial, Intermediate I and II, plus other courses. It is where I took Intermediate II). I think that what SL calls Financial Accounting is Financial Accounting, not Intermediate I. What SL calls Accounting I actually sounds like Bookkeeping to me. I'm not sure what to make of SL's Accounting II, but it doesn't sound like Managerial to me. Managerial Accounting is an introduction to cost accounting, accounting information that is used internally by managers.

Quote:I am doing my Financial and Managerial Accounting at my local CC.

Good, I'm glad to hear that. Have you started them yet?

Quote:I'm doing SL's Financial and Managerial Accounting also which transfer in as Intermediate Accounting I and Cost Accounting.

I am concerned that this won't serve you well over the long term. As I have said, SL's Financial Accounting sounds like Financial Accounting, not Intermediate I.

Quote:I'm doing Study.com's Applied Managerial Accounting and Advanced Accounting I.

I'd hold off on these until after the first four courses are done. They really do all build on each other. But it's your call.

Quote:Also doing TESU's Federal Income Tax TECEP.

Great. This can be done anytime since it has zero accounting. It is purely individual income tax. Tax return preparation and accounting are two different animals.

Quote:That leaves the Intermediate Accounting II requirement. I am trying to find the best option for ME to take this course. This is how my AOS looks:

Intermediate Accounting I SLER ACC-201 LL
Intermediate Accounting II PENN ACC-202 LL
Applied Managerial Accounting STUDY ACC-301 UL
Cost Accounting SLER ACC-303 UL
Advanced Accounting I STUDY ACC-401 UL
Federal Income Tax (TECEP) TECEP ACC-421-TE UL

You know, you sound very intelligent and I'm sure you will work it all out and be a fine accountant. I don't mean to be throwing a monkey wrench into your plans. One way or another, get the knowledge in the courses that I've outlined, and you'll do just fine.
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
Thanks but so far this thread has done nothing for finding a suitable alternative to Penn Foster Intermediate Accounting II course. I should make a note that my Girlfriend has her Master's Degree in Accounting, so I will NOT get destroyed on any class I take. I have a free tutor and very conveniently located also. I'm actually not planning on being an accountant, I just need an Accounting degree to become a full level Tax Auditor for NYS. I am currently working for the New York State Department of Tax and Finance. Most of the Accounting courses aren't very important to my overall career path to be honest. However, I am trying my very best to learn it as best I can so I do have a viable back up plan. If need be I will go back and take the Intermediate Acc I and II from my CC at a later time. Right now the important part is getting the Bachelors degree out of the way. This plan fits my timeline how I want it and thats how I got to do it.

To answer an earlier question yes I am just about done with Financial Accounting it ends in mid December. I can't really wait for me to finish some courses before I do the Study.com courses. I earned the Guardian Scholarship so I am starting them now. I did principles of finance and now moving on the the International Business One. Then I need to start on the Accounting Courses.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Yea I'm sorry. I'd like to be helpful, but after reviewing the course description, I can't endorse using SL's Financial Accounting for Intermediate I. This then impinges my ability to recommend what to do for Intermediate II.

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
Study.com has said that they plan to have some new courses either by the end of this year or early next year. It would make sense for them to add ACC-201 and 202 to their catalog. They currently go from 101/102 to 301 and 401 so the logical thing would be to add the 200 levels. I know you are on the scholarship, but maybe by the time you start your third month, those courses will be added. Personally, I am hoping for the 201 course so I won't need to do a 300 level course with a project for the AOS slot for Accounting in the General Management degree.
ndelcollo Wrote:Study.com has said that they plan to have some new courses either by the end of this year or early next year. It would make sense for them to add ACC-201 and 202 to their catalog. They currently go from 101/102 to 301 and 401 so the logical thing would be to add the 200 levels. I know you are on the scholarship, but maybe by the time you start your third month, those courses will be added. Personally, I am hoping for the 201 course so I won't need to do a 300 level course with a project for the AOS slot for Accounting in the General Management degree.

I would love for them to add these Int Acc I and Int Acc II. They PM'd me and asked what I was looking for and I told them. I'll pay the extra month to finish them out there.

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
Hello Again,

It looks like I may be able to take Int Acc II at a local state school in the Spring. However it's called something different and wondering if someone could tell me if they think it would transfer in as Int Acc II and not something else. I posted the description of the course I may be able to take. UAlbany can "waive" pre-req requirement under two conditions. Apply for Independent Study Admission, and Have enough qualifying credits to be considered a Junior or Higher at the school.

B ACC 312 Financial Accounting Theory II (3)
Continues the in-depth examination (begun in B ACC 311) of the US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles guiding the preparation of corporate financial statements. The topics addressed include special topics in accounting for Stockholder's Equity, the calculation and disclosure of earnings per share, investments, revenue recognition issues, accounting for income taxes, pensions, leases, and the accounting for and disclosure of accounting changes.

Accounting theory is a UL course and it is is different from Intermediate II which is an LL. I bet that course number indicates UL, not LL.

Edit: Actually, I found it at Albany, and now I'm not sure sure that what I said here applies. In other words, it may qualify as Intermediate II. Check with TESU to be sure.

tesu-acct-student Wrote:Accounting theory is a UL course and it is is different from Intermediate II which is an LL. I bet that course number indicates UL, not LL.
Yeah I noticed that myself. It appears UAlbany only has these courses for LL Accounting Credits

B ACC 211 Financial Accounting (3)
B ACC 222 Cost Accounting Systems for Managerial Decisions (3)
T ACC 251 Fraud Examination (3)

Then everything becomes Upper Level after those three. Are you saying I should try SCCC, maybe they can allow me to take Int Acc II from them. Cheaper but they run almost Identical as HVCC. Looking at SCCC's course list for the same degree I was pursuing at HVCC I should have enrolled there instead.

ACC 222 Intermediate Accounting I 3
ACC 226 Intermediate Accounting II 4

Built right in the Course List... SMH I failed at the start of this as you can see. If I knew I would be going for a Bachelors at TESU when I started I may have went with SCCC then. So then again with the information I had at the time I think I made the right choice at the time. Guess I will be in contact with SCCC and see what they have to say.

Just my little rant of the day: I get why they have Pre-Reqs in place, however, if I want to pay a school money to let me take a course. What is it to them if I fail it. My money, my time.

I think I edited my post as you were writing yours. I went to the Albany site and found the courses. I think it might qualify as Intermediate II. Check with TESU to be sure.

As far as the pre-reqs: I think they just want their students to be successful. Sure, they could let people do it, but the failure rate would rise and they probably don't want that. Believe me, Intermediate II is tough and it absolutely builds on everything that came before. Don't jump into it without making sure you're prepared.

tesu-acct-student Wrote:I think I edited my post as you were writing yours. I went to the Albany site and found the courses. I think it might qualify as Intermediate II. Check with TESU to be sure.

As far as the pre-reqs: I think they just want their students to be successful. Sure, they could let people do it, but the failure rate would rise and they probably don't want that. Believe me, Intermediate II is tough and it absolutely builds on everything that came before. Don't jump into it without making sure you're prepared.

I will do that also, I'm talking to SCCC and UAlbany both. I contacted UAlbany to see if I would qualify by the time I enrolled as a Junior there for spring semester. I currently have 47 credits but mid-December I will be adding at least 15 more which would put me over 60 and I should be considered a Junior and I could take it.
I think I am already prepared for Int Accounting II, I'm working on Advanced Accounting I from Study.com (I feel like this may be more along the lines of Int Acc II then Advanced but I don't really know. I'm not that far into it yet but so far it's not hard at all. I consider myself smart and I have been able to pick up Accounting Concepts quickly. Brings me back to that Failed CLEP exam, still don't know how I failed it. Could just been nerves, never should have started with that CLEP.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,756 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Need 12 Accounting Credits... TallC 6 1,238 08-17-2021, 01:40 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  ACCUMULATING ACCOUNTING CREDITS for CPA - WHAT COLLEGE TO USE AND FROM WHOM? germ 7 2,269 06-09-2020, 08:56 PM
Last Post: tjguitar85
  Intermediate Accounting I and II self-paced options? RDUstudent 6 1,425 05-23-2020, 11:25 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Teach myself Accounting natshar 7 1,900 04-05-2020, 04:20 PM
Last Post: natshar
Question list of available accounting courses udi 7 1,882 01-07-2020, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Yanji
  New CSU Global SSAs in Accounting sanantone 15 3,155 11-01-2019, 09:31 PM
Last Post: tjguitar85
  Accounting courses ultimate goal cpa Motivated2move 16 2,820 06-24-2019, 07:10 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Bachelors in Accounting and Human Resources? Jenniferinfl 47 6,512 06-17-2019, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Jenniferinfl
  Need 18 Accounting Courses or Certificate germ 3 1,469 05-21-2019, 10:42 AM
Last Post: germ