Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
International Travel Hints / Tips Requested!
Hey All! I know we have members that travel a lot and I'm searching out some info. We are traveling to Europe in a few weeks and I haven't traveled overseas since prior to 9/11. Does anyone have any hints, tips or suggestions they can pass along to make our trip easier and more comfortable? I'm traveling with my kids, one of which had a horrible time the few times she has flown. She has motion sickness issues along with her ears won't equalize, so I'm not looking forward to our 12+ hour flights! To top it all off, I will be in a walking cast with a bad foot, great timing I know, but this trip has been planned and scheduled for years. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated since I know things have changed a lot since I last flew overseas.

Thanks!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
Give yourself LOTS of time. Get to the airport at least three hours before you're scheduled to leave. Everything takes longer now. Check out to see if your airline or the airport has a wheelchair for you. Trust me, airports are BIG. You don't want to be late just 'cause you're moving slowly. Does gum help with your child's ear issue? Of course with all of the waiting and flying time, bring whatever works to keep your children entertained. You're children are so lucky to be going to Europe. It wasn't until I went on Uncle Sam's dime when I was in my mid-20s that I got there. Have a lovely time.Confusedeeya:
Make sure that you understand exactly what needs to be in the quart-sized baggie (liquids, gels, etc..) Also, make sure that you've got comfortable footwear with socks or at least nylon footies for the security line. I hate going barefoot with all the other barefoot people!

Buy a decent-sized carry on bag and make sure that each person has enough clothing for 2-3 days in the bag. Nothing will ruin a trip more than a lost or delayed bag that happens to have all of your clothing in it. If you don't have a good carry-on, go to TJ Maxx. Just make sure you know your airlines maximum allowed size before you buy it and bring a tape measure to TJ Maxx to make sure your bag is the right size.

Even when you bring your carry-on, if you're one of the last people on the plane, there is a chance that they might gate-check your bag. Planes seem to be overbooked all the time and the overhead bin space fills up quickly with people that don't want to pay to check bags. The best way to avoid this is to make sure that you're sitting in an area that boards first if you don't have another way to get priority boarding (such as frequent flier status or purchase first class tickets.) Here's the chart I use when I am flying on an airline that I don't have status with: Guide to Airline Boarding Procedures I'll make sure that I choose a seat that will allow me to be in one of the first groups on the plane so that I know my carry-on won't get checked. For example, since United boards outside-in, back to front, I would get a ticket in the rear window to make sure that I'm on first. If you've got several people in your party, you can all board with the first person. The only time that this might not work is when you've got a tight connection and in those cases, I just try to sit as close to the door as I can.

These are just my favorite standard travel tips, but not really specific to international. The only real good advice I have for international travel in addition to what's already been mentioned is to make sure you ask plenty of questions at foreign airports and/or read the exact procedures for each country that you will land in, even if you're only on a layover. On my last trip to Mexico City, I didn't have to take off my shoes but did have to have my liquids in a quart-sized bag.

You may also want to know airport layouts first and understand the busiest travel days. As mentioned, you need to allow yourself LOTS of time for any type of travel, especially overseas, but it definitely helps to know where you're headed first.

HAVE FUN!!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
If you rent a car make sure you take a letter of proof of insurance from MasterCard with y, or buy the coverage for zero deductible from the rental company. Trust me do your research,!!! It cost me a ton when I had damage to a rental caused on the street. I thought I was covered but I was only covered by a default catastrophic policy and was charged 1200 euro! Not fun!
Buy your euro's from your bank here before you go the exchange rate can be worse there.
Call the airport or airline and ask about priority boarding because of your cast and traveling with children.
Make sure you do not go over 31/2 ounces in any of your toiletries in your carry on.
Buy at least one bottle of water after you go through security, it can take a long time to get the plane loaded and off and the dry airplane air can make you Very thirsty, drink service can also take a while to reach you and cost just as much as at the airport. You are allowed to bring solid foods so an apple, ganola bar excet. is an easy way to keep from going broke on the snacks.
Give your airsick child bonine( or similar) at the airport about 1/2 hour before boarding, this should make it work when needed and repeat as needed and directed until flight lands.
Make sure everyone wears easy to take off/on shoes, it is a pain to have to find a seat to put shoes back on.
Make sure your toiletries bag is easy to remove and put back in your carry on.
The pouches for your passport that hangs around your neck is popular with frequent overseas travelers, I know I am always in a hurry to get to the next stop and Isometimes misplace my ID, the pouch keeps it readily at hand.
I have not traveled outside the country a lot, but I do travel a lot and these things seem to help.
How many children are you taking and what ages? Make sure they know what to expect at the security gate as far as removing jackets, hats, belts and shoes. the posibility of being wanded or pulled out of line for further testing. It can be streeful for children.

Good Luck with your trip,I also think the children are lucky to see more of the world while they are young, it helps them have a more open mind to other traditions and cultures.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
You will probably leave around supper time
You will be flying through many time zones.
You will look at your watch. The local time
will be midnight at home but the sun will
Be rising where you are. Jet lag will fatique
you. Arrival day go to bed early. When you
are super tired you can get lost or loose
things. Start your trip rested and alert Smile
Thanks everyone for the great advice. Bkahuna, thanks so much, I found out our insurance won't cover us out of the US. While our umbrella policy will protect us we needed at least $300,000 in other coverage first. So I took care of that with the rental agency! I'm trying to not put anything liquid in our carry-on bags so we don't have to mess with it. I have reserved a wheelchair from gate to gate with the airlines and have registered for priority seating. All you tips have helped and now I'm off to try to find someplace to get some Euros before we leave!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
Is the childrens' father travelling, too? If not, you might need a notarized statement from him allowing them to travel. Also, if you're using credit cards, call ahead to let the company know that you'll be travelling. It's no fun for them to freeze your card 'cause they didn't know you'd be out of town. Also, and forgive my technological lapse, the credit cards in Europe have ?smart chips?. It will be harder for you to use your American credit card there. Scan passports, credit cards, reporting info (for cards), etc. and send to yourself in an e-mail. You never know when that stuff could get lost or stolen. Speaking of stolen, I've never had my purse stole or pocket picked (I probably look poorer than the thieves!), but it does happen. Plan for it by making sure that you have important "stuff" in a safe place on you or the hotel safe. Especially having to travel with kids, and when your attention can be diverted. I disagree with skybirds. I land, and hit the ground running. I try to stay up as late as possible so that my actual bed time is closer to what it is in the states. My experience of European public transportation has been positive, but many of the places are also a joy to explore on foot. Oh, and put a paper/notecard with every family member about where you're staying, agenda, etc. just in case someone gets separated. Finally, I've never used a cell overseas. I understand it can get VERY expensive. Enjoy!
Marianne, don't know if this will help or not but a few years back I worked in an ENT office and the families who had to travel a lot often came in to get tubes put in the ears of the kids who had trouble with pressure. It was an in office procedure and seemed to help them.

Judy
Marianne,

When I travel overseas, I find these tips helpful:

- I try to check all I can to avoid messing around with the suitcase. It makes getting around the airport much easier.

- I do, however, carry a light backpack or small bag that contains light snacks (fig newtons, granola bar), an eyeglass case, contact solution, one set of "necessary" clothes such as a shirt, socks, etc. That way, if something happens to my bag, I'm all set to shower, change and grab a quick bite once I get checked in. Sometimes, it's tough to find something to eat that sounds good after flying 9-10 hours. It's also nice to shed the contacts on the flight so they are ready to use once you get to the hotel. Nothing like having dry eyes and trouble seeing the sights.

- Your feet will swell while flying so the suggestion of wearing loose comfortable shoes will come in handy. Also, if you get a "goody" bag containing those silly socks, you may find them comfortable and somewhat a relief when you step into the airplane restroom after being in the air for several hours (if you know what I mean). You may not be able to put your shoes on!

- Before landing, I like to brush my teeth and drink some water. It helps me feel a little refreshed.

- Everyone will be tired, confused and excited... a perfect recipe for a sleepless nap. However, I find a few minutes laying down in the hotel with the drapes closed helps to give you a slight energy boost. After the nap, take a nice shower and you'll feel about 80%! Woohoo!

- I always pick up a hotel card with phone number, address, etc. Often, they have helpful phrases in the language to help in case you need to grab a taxi to get back.

- And... if you need some Euros, and your bank doesn't charge crazy fees, an ATM is a great way to get the bank rate without the kiosk fee. Sometimes these ATMs are located right near baggage claim and you've got nothing to do but wait for the bags anyway...

- Don't stress about tipping at restaurants, etc. Tipping customs are a little different depending where you go. In Belgium for instance, people may leave the loose change on the table, but not a 15-20% tip such as the US. In other countries, it may be customary to leave 10%. You can ask the concierge at the hotel about the local customs in the area. This is one thing that you don't think of until you are sitting there, in a restaurant wondering what to do... Just be ready to enjoy the dinner "process" which is slower, relaxed and rather enjoyable if the weather is nice and you are sitting outside. Just order the large sized beer... it may be awhile before you see the next one.

- For the ears... Somone I know told me about these special ear plugs that help the ears adjust to the altitude. I guess you put them in and they somehow help relieve the pressure. They seemed to work when you have a cold, so maybe these can help the kids. I believe you may need to ask your doctor about them. I'm not sure if they are sold commercially.

Have fun!

Exam Credit:

CLEP 39
DSST 27
ECE 9

Charter Oak State College
BS Business Administration - DONE! (1/31/11)

From 37 to 120 credits in 13 months while working full time... Now, I am enjoying my weekends!

[SIZE="4"]Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal. [/SIZE]
-Henry Ford

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cruise Advice/Other Travel Suggestions burbuja0512 5 1,331 03-19-2024, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Chimera
  Need travel advice Ghostwill 1 524 02-12-2024, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Popular Travel Vlogger Captures the Evacuation of Kyiv LevelUP 0 628 03-03-2022, 09:36 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Mail forwarding/scanning service - International bjcheung77 4 902 01-19-2022, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Qatar opening doors to international universities... bjcheung77 2 769 05-27-2021, 11:25 AM
Last Post: ashkir
  International Women's Day! bjcheung77 0 545 03-08-2021, 08:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  International Student Applications Rebounding bjcheung77 6 1,274 02-23-2021, 04:41 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter Tips natshar 3 1,053 08-01-2019, 08:30 AM
Last Post: natshar
Wink Cheap International Flights burbuja0512 8 1,623 06-08-2019, 08:16 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Productivity Tips and Tricks natshar 1 914 12-11-2018, 09:45 AM
Last Post: cookderosa