Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Intro to World Religions DSST, Anyone??
Librevore Wrote:Hi Snazz,

What you have accomplished already is amazing. I noticed just recently that you are going for the business BA as well as the psych one. I'm curious--I know that having both degrees will be personally satisfying (tremendously!) but will there be a career benefit as well? If you don't mind sharing, what are your eventual career and educational goals? And MagicATC is right. You are a great encourager. Smile

Thanks in advance,
Librevore

Librevore,

Here's why I have decided to try to earn both degrees....

- I realised that I enjoy studying for exams, and I am pretty good at it too.
- I realised that I have already passed most of the Business requirements in the process of getting electives done for my Psych degree.
- I realised that I only need 30 additional credits to get the second degree.
- I realised that 30 credits is only ten more exams, at most.
- I realised that it would be worth going the extra mile to get a Business degree since I am already so close to fulfilling all the requirements.
- I realised that a Psych and a Business degree together would open many more doors than either one alone.
- I realised I would be the first person in my family to get a degree.
- I realised that I might just be smart enough to get two degrees.
- I realised that it won't cost me a fortune to get the second degree.
- I realised that I just really would like to try and do it.
...so I am going to try and do it!

Some people might argue that I should go straight on to a graduate degree instead of doing a second bachelors. But by the time I am finished with my Psych degree, I will only need 7 more exams to fulfill ALL the Business requirements (plus 3 electives). I can do those exams within a month or two, if I apply myself. So, it's just too tempting an opportunity to ignore...and if I don't do it now, while I'm on a roll, I may never do it.

Plus, if ever I get into private practise, or am interested in some kind of management of a facility, it would be beneficial to be able to throw my Business degree into the mix. I have learned SO MUCH about business through taking all these business-related exams, that it would simply be a crying shame not to have anything to show for it.

Don't you think?
hilarious
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
snazzlefrag Wrote:Librevore,

Here's why I have decided to try to earn both degrees....

- I realised that I enjoy studying for exams, and I am pretty good at it too.
- I realised that I have already passed most of the Business requirements in the process of getting electives done for my Psych degree.
- I realised that I only need 30 additional credits to get the second degree.
- I realised that 30 credits is only ten more exams, at most.
- I realised that it would be worth going the extra mile to get a Business degree since I am already so close to fulfilling all the requirements.
- I realised that a Psych and a Business degree together would open many more doors than either one alone.
- I realised I would be the first person in my family to get a degree.
- I realised that I might just be smart enough to get two degrees.
- I realised that it won't cost me a fortune to get the second degree.
- I realised that I just really would like to try and do it.
...so I am going to try and do it!

Some people might argue that I should go straight on to a graduate degree instead of doing a second bachelors. But by the time I am finished with my Psych degree, I will only need 7 more exams to fulfill ALL the Business requirements (plus 3 electives). I can do those exams within a month or two, if I apply myself. So, it's just too tempting an opportunity to ignore...and if I don't do it now, while I'm on a roll, I may never do it.

Plus, if ever I get into private practise, or am interested in some kind of management of a facility, it would be beneficial to be able to throw my Business degree into the mix. I have learned SO MUCH about business through taking all these business-related exams, that it would simply be a crying shame not to have anything to show for it.

Don't you think?
hilarious

Yes, I do think it would be a "crying shame..." Smile Your reasons are very sound. You have verbalized what I have only just started to consider. Only 10 extra tests and another degree that can help advance your goals. Wonderful!

By the way, thanks in large part to you, Sammy, Beckysharp and a few others, I am going to go for it and educate to change careers. As I mentioned before, being our families main support has made this a huge and
agonizing decision. But I have finally decided that it is better to reach for lofty goals and possibly suffer than to grasp at security and status quo that is probably illusionary at best.

Like you said earlier, carpe diem
Kate
Kate
BS Psychology
Should probably add that no matter how this all works out, I am not planning on letting my family suffer! I was just talking about me. hilarious

Librevore
Kate
BS Psychology
Librevore Wrote:Should probably add that no matter how this all works out, I am not planning on letting my family suffer! I was just talking about me. hilarious

Librevore

Of course, we understand.

Your family won't "suffer" because you are bettering yourself and trying to provide a better life for them.

Your family doesn't "suffer" when you go out to work each day to try and provide a better life for them.

Your family doesn't "suffer" when your kids leave you and go to school each day to be educated. You know it is an investment of "time" that will reap a better tomorrow for them.

There IS definitely a price to pay when you go back to school, when you go to work, or when your kids go to school. But it is an "investment". You and your family 'pay the price' today in order to reap the future return on your investment...a better tomorrow.

It's deferred gratification at it's finest!

I hope you and your family are proud of all that you are accomplishing.

You are achieving GREAT THINGS Kate.

Onwards and Upwards,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

[/SIZE]
snazzlefrag Wrote:Of course, we understand.

Your family won't "suffer" because you are bettering yourself and trying to provide a better life for them.

Your family doesn't "suffer" when you go out to work each day to try and provide a better life for them.

Your family doesn't "suffer" when your kids leave you and go to school each day to be educated. You know it is an investment of "time" that will reap a better tomorrow for them.

There IS definitely a price to pay when you go back to school, when you go to work, or when your kids go to school. But it is an "investment". You and your family 'pay the price' today in order to reap the future return on your investment...a better tomorrow.

It's deferred gratification at it's finest!

I hope you and your family are proud of all that you are accomplishing.

You are achieving GREAT THINGS Kate.

Onwards and Upwards,
Snazzlefrag

Thanks Snazz. I am sure your post will be a real encouragement to the rest of our "classmates" who are considering a major change also.

At some point in this I will be leaving a comfortable senior management position with perks to work for not much more than minimum while interning. But the rewards in the long run for all of us will be great. Good thing that we LIKE rice and beans!hilarious

Kate
Kate
BS Psychology
I finally got my results back for Intro to World Religions. As I wrote earlier I thought for sure I failed. Turns out I got a 55. The lowest "A" score but still an "A". I usually do better on these but I just had a baby last week and had been away 3 months prior for Army training. I will study harder next time. In fact, tomorrow I will take Human Growth and Develpment. Well, back to cramming!
MagicATC Wrote:I finally got my results back for Intro to World Religions. As I wrote earlier I thought for sure I failed. Turns out I got a 55. The lowest "A" score but still an "A". I usually do better on these but I just had a baby last week and had been away 3 months prior for Army training. I will study harder next time. In fact, tomorrow I will take Human Growth and Develpment. Well, back to cramming!

Well done MagicATC,

The World Religions exam was by no means an easy one. So you certainly EARNED that 'A'.

Best of luck on HG&D tomorrow,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

[/SIZE]
Hi Snazzlefarg,
Great accomplishment, you study hard it shows. Can you list exams taken so that others reading can see how to attain two degrees testing out. I amcurrently about to start testing my first exam will be sociology.

Thanks for your help.

Sophia:confused:

9 credits from traditional school
Intro to business
Human dynamics
Computer Applications
I don't see any recent posts on this subject. I was very recently told that this was now a computer test, is that true or is is pencil/paper?
storiteller Wrote:I don't see any recent posts on this subject. I was very recently told that this was now a computer test, is that true or is is pencil/paper?

All of the DSSTs that I have taken (they have all been recently) have been computer tests. I have not taken this one, yet, though. I am pretty sure I saw Intro to World Religions on the list when I took Principals of Supervision last weekend, though. I need to take this one as well, but first I am working on Humanities. I just passed both American and English Lit with flying colours, so I want to work on Humanities while all of the authours are still fresh in my mind. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cured! World First! bjcheung77 0 222 02-14-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The most widely spoken languages in the world bjcheung77 10 701 12-08-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,110 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Slowest student in the world... bjcheung77 1 447 05-22-2023, 06:24 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 6,457 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Why Divergent Thinkers Beat Geniuses in the Real World LevelUP 1 414 01-20-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: TwinMom
  Intro to Criminal Justice & Speech Communication midnite123 11 981 01-04-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: karenkresgs
  Khan World School - College Prep partnership with ASU bjcheung77 0 557 10-15-2022, 07:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The Biggest University In The World Alpha 11 1,191 07-25-2022, 09:33 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Intro to Sociology Jennr2z 8 1,073 05-11-2022, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z