Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Instantcert enough for US History 1?
Hello all,

I'm planning on taking the US History 1 test on January 6th. I was wondering what everyone's opinion on IC's material for US History 1. Is it enough to pass the exam. I've done very well on all of my previous exams (see signature for details) and was just wondering what everyone thought. Any input or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

James
Done:
Intro to Sociology
Freshman English Comp
Analyzing and Interpreting Lit
Intro to Psychology
American Gov
English Lit
US History 1
Principles of Macroeconomics

To do:
College Algebra
hmmm......
Here is what I wrote down after taking U.S. History I. But I haven't had a chance to put anything in the feedback section.

My version of the exam did not have any real questions from early explorers. Most of InstantCert is not in the exam. The Petersons exam was harder than the real thing, but some questions were similar. I think studying the answers from Petersons would be beneficial. The exam wasn’t too difficult, but I felt like InstantCert covered too much information that I didn’t need.

After taking the exam I went through and circled my notes from InstantCert that were applicable. Looks like 'Section Tensins and the Civil War', and 'Philosophy and Politics of the Time Period' were very applicable.

I only had 4 questions on material from 1490's-1650s. Several on events, Acts, and Laws of 1763.

Suggested Study material:

• InstantCert
• SparkNotes 101 book – reading the Essays at the end of each chapter gives you a perspective
• Biography of America videos at Teacher Professional Development and Teacher Resources by Annenberg Media – not too much details, but it’s a nice overview
• Petersons Practice exam – I only got 43 out of 120 right, but using it as a study guide would help
• CLEP Official study guide looks harder than real test, but some questions are similar or reference same topics, could be helpful as study guide

NOTHING on Boston Massacre, Boston Tea Party, Townshend, Tea Act, almost nothing on main historical names like John Adams, Abigail Adams, George Washington, Spanish explorers, Sir Walter Raleigh, John Rolfe, Cornwallis, or Declaration of Independence – my version anyway – they seemed to like slavery, women’s suffrage, Indians, and “side” famous people except Jefferson, Hamilton, Ben Franklin, and Andrew Jackson

As a co-worker said this seems more like a 'footnotes' exam. I really doubt a lot of what's on this exam is covered in a normal college history class. There's a lot of questions on obscure facts that you would only know if you read books on the specific material. I scored in the high 50s.

I took the DSST Civil War exam and InstantCert covers that exam very well.
Thanks! all of that information will help me a whole lot I'm sure. I'm pretty confident with it, I just wanted to know what most people thought. I'm 6/6 in my testing so far so it shouldn't be too bad. Thanks again!

James
Done:
Intro to Sociology
Freshman English Comp
Analyzing and Interpreting Lit
Intro to Psychology
American Gov
English Lit
US History 1
Principles of Macroeconomics

To do:
College Algebra
hmmm......
Other Sources of CLEP & DSST Study Material

REA Books, Comex Books, Pass Your Class Guides, Standard Deviants DVD's, Petersons Practice Exams, [COLOR="Gold"]Dummies Books, Idiot's Guides [/COLOR]. Big Grin
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Make sure you visit the specific exam feedback section. There's plenty of great advice on there on this and everyother exam.

Watch the videos. They helped me out.
Resource: A Biography of America
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
jamesconner31 Wrote:I'm planning on taking the US History 1 test on January 6th. I was wondering what everyone's opinion on IC's material for US History 1. Is it enough to pass the exam.

I took this test a while ago; IC and REA seemed sufficient. I found it helpful to have a second source to catch any places where IC's information might be thin. Both were immensely helpful, and the REA book contained a number of invaluable practice tests. Have fun with it!
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
(12-21-2008, 04:07 PM)CLEP101 Wrote: Make sure you visit the specific exam feedback section. There's plenty of great advice on there on this and everyother exam.

How do we find the specific exam feedback section for an exam? Such as US History 1?
(11-17-2019, 03:21 PM)slockett2 Wrote:
(12-21-2008, 04:07 PM)CLEP101 Wrote: Make sure you visit the specific exam feedback section. There's plenty of great advice on there on this and everyother exam.

How do we find the specific exam feedback section for an exam? Such as US History 1?

That folder is for paid subscribers only, so if you subscribe to InstantCert flashcards ($20/mo) the folder will appear on your list of available options. It's hidden again once you stop your subscription.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  InstantCert w/CLEP and DSST tomheany 0 141 03-13-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: tomheany
  What's the best free practice test for US History II Cookseykids 6 464 03-05-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Abnormal Psychology TECEP is now available on InstantCert! sgloer 0 265 01-04-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: sgloer
  Easiest Exams-Everybody List Exams Taken with a 60+ Score Using Only InstantCert steelers 383 227,432 06-18-2023, 03:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  InstantCert InstantCREDIT Managerial Accounting Course Review OldManOfTheSea 21 6,697 11-13-2022, 05:02 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Instantcert Credit Transcript uncoolbilly 2 1,013 10-20-2022, 07:54 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Instantcert keeps billing me monthly CCCC 7 1,779 08-05-2022, 04:02 PM
Last Post: Stacie
  InstantCert Courses Expired? ss20ts 19 3,186 07-22-2022, 08:01 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Other options for Instantcert Spanish? IceSparkle 16 3,207 07-19-2022, 04:37 AM
Last Post: SevenSister
  How do you get your badge for an InstantCert course? a4tunatemom 5 3,188 04-23-2022, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Amberlinjeanne