Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is This Possible?
If I were to do a 2nd study with the following two degrees:

-BA in Liberal Studies (no concentration)
-BA in communication

I know TESU lets you do two areas of studies, sort of like a double major, but is it allowed with this particular combination. Anyone tried a 2nd area of study with a BALS no concentration.

I don't want to do this as a 2nd degree, because I might want to pursue a business degree after I finish my liberal arts degree and I want to keep my options open.
TESU told me one that I would need to do another degree un-related like a BS and then maybe it would be approved. Better to shoot them an email in advising and post what they say here.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
I don't understand why you would bother getting these two. LS is just a generally easier way to get a degree for HR/hiring purposes, without much benefit beyond that. BA in Communication will do the same, plus it has value on it's own as an actual concentration that could potentially be relevant to your career. It also checks the "degree box" for HR. You don't get any added value on top of that by adding LS to communications.

I would save the time and money and focus on just one of those (Communications would probably be the better bet, though it could cost more time and money than LS), then if you really want to do BSBA later you're still good to go. Though at that point you might as well just get an MBA, it'd give you much better bang for your buck and many MBA programs do not require a Business Admin specific undergrad.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • Kelly Green, natshar
I second jsd, there is no point getting a BALS w/o concentration, if you're going to get a BA in Comm. There is simply zero value in a BALS on top of a specific degree. Zero. The BA in Comm will supercede the BALS the moment you have it - it's not even worth putting the BALS on your resume at that point.

For some reason on this forum, people think more degrees is better (generally, from what I've seen). This is just not the case in the real world. No on will be impressed by what you're suggesting. It's a waste of time and money.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • allvia, Kelly Green
(10-04-2018, 11:05 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I second jsd, there is no point getting a BALS w/o concentration, if you're going to get a BA in Comm.  There is simply zero value in a BALS on top of a specific degree.  Zero.  The BA in Comm will supercede the BALS the moment you have it - it's not even worth putting the BALS on your resume at that point.

For some reason on this forum, people think more degrees is better (generally, from what I've seen).  This is just not the case in the real world.  No on will be impressed by what you're suggesting.  It's a waste of time and money.

I probably wasn't actually going to do it. I'm just a curious person and wanted to know if it is possible. I didn't think I would actually do it, I kind of knew it was pointless. I just figured why not ask. I have a lot of credits and could easily get a BALS but I'm wondering if a communications degree is better.

I guess here is a better question.

Which is better:

Option A: Use mostly credit I already have and easier methods like study.com, clep and dsst. End up with a BALS no concentration.

Option B: Same plan as above but in addition take a couple CSU Global exams and TCEP exams to meet the communication requirements. Might take a little more time and money. However, end up with a BA in communications.

Any thoughts?
Communications.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(10-04-2018, 09:45 PM)quigongene Wrote: Communications.

thats what I was thinking. But I'm not sure how to do it. I'll start a new thread.
It really depends on what you need it for; if jobs you are looking at place a higher value on a communications degree, then it may be worth it. If instead jobs you are looking at just want a degree, then it's probably not worth the extra cost and time for a Comm degree.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I'm thinking of just doing a BALS with a concentration in communications. It appears the communications degree is too difficult/expensive to test out of. Doing a concentration in communications should only take tiny more effort than no concentration. I already have a lot b&m credit in communications.
(10-04-2018, 11:44 PM)natshar Wrote: I'm thinking of just doing a BALS with a concentration in communications. It appears the communications degree is too difficult/expensive to test out of. Doing a concentration in communications should only take tiny more effort than no concentration. I already have a lot b&m credit in communications.

Unfortunately, you still need those specific comm credits (Mass comm I & II), to get a comm concentration or undergrad cert added to the BALS.

If you post all of the comm courses you have, that might be easiest to figure out what it will take to get the comm degree or comm concentration.