Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a school "too easy"?
(03-14-2023, 08:41 AM)Pats20 Wrote: I think that as long as it’s regionally accredited that it will be comparable to most other regionally accredited with the exception of maybe top ranked programs. A top ten business school will probably be more rigorous than an unranked. By how much ? Idk. I think that regionally accredited with a additional business accreditation would be suffice evidence for rigor for most.

In general, I agree with this.  There are schools that are unaccredited but require "real work."  You actually have to take a test now and then.  You actually have to write an essay now and then.  There's some question about whether anyone actually reads them, but people will say "I did real work for that degree!"  I think of these schools as being substandard.  In my mind, unaccredited = substandard = too easy.
(03-14-2023, 02:12 PM)Alpha Wrote:
(03-14-2023, 08:41 AM)Pats20 Wrote: I think that as long as it’s regionally accredited that it will be comparable to most other regionally accredited with the exception of maybe top ranked programs. A top ten business school will probably be more rigorous than an unranked. By how much ? Idk. I think that regionally accredited with a additional business accreditation would be suffice evidence for rigor for most.

In general, I agree with this.  There are schools that are unaccredited but require "real work."  You actually have to take a test now and then.  You actually have to write an essay now and then.  There's some question about whether anyone actually reads them, but people will say "I did real work for that degree!"  I think of these schools as being substandard.  In my mind, unaccredited = substandard = too easy.

That "business school" I went to was accredited by that one that went down in flames.  ASCIS, or something like that.  I am not sure I remember the correct acronym.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(03-14-2023, 03:47 PM)Vle045 Wrote:
(03-14-2023, 02:12 PM)Alpha Wrote:

That "business school" I went to was accredited by that one that went down in flames.  ASCIS, or something like that.  I am not sure I remember the correct acronym.

One alternative explanation is simply that you are too smart for one of those low tier schools.  I mean, let's face it, even in the realm of RA schools there is significant variation in the degree of difficulty.
[-] The following 2 users Like Alpha's post:
  • KSoul, ss20ts
I’m not convinced that alt providers are “too easy”. I’ve know of kids whizzing through in person college courses without opening the text book. Or knocking out a university online course from start to finish in the final weekend. I def know Sophia English courses were far more intensive than my daughters university English courses.

Sure some courses may be easier for some people than others.
I challenge some to take sdc computer architecture or Straighterline calc and say that it was too easy. Will they be easy
For some ? Sure. But for most. I’d say not.
[-] The following 2 users Like Pats20's post:
  • LevelUP, ss20ts
(03-17-2023, 02:50 PM)Pats20 Wrote: I’m not convinced that alt providers are “too easy”. I’ve know of kids whizzing through in person college courses without opening the text book. Or knocking out a university online course from start to finish in the final weekend. I def know Sophia English courses were far more intensive than my daughters university English  courses.

Sure some courses may be easier for some people than others.
I challenge some to take sdc computer architecture or Straighterline calc and say that it was too easy. Will they be easy
For some ? Sure. But for most. I’d say not.

Great point using math as a test example for ease. We have a math focus family, and all aced through Straighterline, ALEKS & S0phia with ease on Algebra, Calc, Business Calc, Statistics, Macro & Micro Economics. However, throwing World History courses my way, even with our extensive travels worldwide, was much more complicated than it should have been. I tend to feel all courses that I have an interest in tend to feel easy because even if they require a lot of effort, I am enjoying the process vs. a universally defined easy course that I don't care for it at times feels painstakingly hard.
Virginia University of Lynchburg Doctorate of Healthcare Administration 2024
Universidad Isabel I / ENEB MBA & Master in Big Data and Business Intelligence, summa cum laude
University of Presque Isle BABA Management and Leadership, magna cum lauda
RANSOMSOUL
[-] The following 2 users Like KSoul's post:
  • origamishuttle, ss20ts
I took a "Financial Accounting and Taxes" course in Lisbon.

I passed, but with a D.

The course was divided in two sections: "Financial Accounting" and "Taxes".

I have been studying, but couldn´t concentrate much while reading during the 2nd section of the course, since all the "Taxes" section was about Portugal and the European Union. And I knew that I´ll never need or read again about any of that, ever.
Depending on the person and the program requirements, some NA/RA institutions may seem a bit easy for the Associates or even the Bachelors level. When you get past that first initial undergraduate offering or two, it becomes more complex at the grad level. I, for one, think the BOG Associates from Pierpont (and similar institutions within WV or even outside of WV that offer similar programs) are too easy. They just need 12 RA at most and the rest can be transferred in, compared to other institutions that only allow a max of 25 or 50% transfer.

I've taken 3 Penn Foster classes and numerous other ACE recommend courses, many of them remind me of 'high school' level (I mentioned this in my Beginners guide) as I've taken a few of those courses in high school and the content/information taught are pretty much the same thing, it's like a recall/review of the info and touching up partially on things I may not have learned. Having said that, not all ACE courses are 'high school' level, an example is, if you've not taken Calculus or Stats, or any of the courses not offered by CLEP/AP, it's harder to grasp those concepts.

TLDR: In short, It's different for everyone and varies on each and every credential level. Some courses such as intro to a language (French, Spanish, etc) or another subject in college is equivalent in content as something taught in the final years of high school, even the textbook and other reading/videos or materials used in teaching are identical. For someone with acquired knowledge in the subject matter during high school, it may be easier for them when taking the course in college, for others who haven't taken that subject before, it'll be a different learning curve.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 706 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,765 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 255 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 681 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 596 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Op Eds - I Vote on Plagiarism Cases at Harvard College. Gay’s Getting off Easy. posabsolute 0 298 12-31-2023, 09:42 PM
Last Post: posabsolute
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 351 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Brown Medical School withdraws from U.S. News rankings allvia 2 462 10-30-2023, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Saylor---Easy??? midnite123 12 1,740 10-06-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  How Technology Shapes Ideas - University of Chicago Graham School Charles Fout 0 272 09-15-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout