Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to complete 12 Sophia courses with min 97% per course in 3 months?
No, definitely not. CLEP "wins" with DSST slightly behind, as far as acceptance goes, but SDC, SL, Saylor, and Sophia are all on approximately equal footing.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle
(09-07-2023, 12:03 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-07-2023, 12:01 PM)ausernameisneeded Wrote:
(09-07-2023, 11:48 AM)allvia Wrote: There is no reason to reach a 97% on a Sophia course as they almost always transfer as 'Pass' and have no GPA impact; even those few schools who require more than just the 70 to pass is in the 80s.
I'm pretty sure if I get the money and finish my bachelor, the grad schools I'll apply to will ask for all my transcripts

And the transcripts for Sophia say pass or fail.
Not if you use parchment, which I'll use

(09-07-2023, 12:09 PM)rachel83az Wrote: No, definitely not. CLEP "wins" with DSST slightly behind, as far as acceptance goes, but SDC, SL, Saylor, and Sophia are all on approximately equal footing.

Why does CLEP wins over DSST?
Because, for whatever reason, there are a multiple universities that accept CLEP credit and not DSST credit, but I don't know of any that accept DSSTs but not CLEP. They may be out there, but I haven't seen any.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jch, origamishuttle
(09-07-2023, 12:09 PM)rachel83az Wrote: No, definitely not. CLEP "wins" with DSST slightly behind, as far as acceptance goes, but SDC, SL, Saylor, and Sophia are all on approximately equal footing.

I'd add AP in addition to CLEP (and DSST) only because they are the most commonly known alternative (ACE) credits. AP options being offered in most US high schools, followed by CLEP prep, and DSST is most common in US military circles. This leaves them being the most broadly accepted US alternative credits able to be applied as undergraduate course completion. None would be considered more respected over another, it is a matter of being most recognized. As we know here, they are far from the only alternative credit options.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • rachel83az
True. And there are universities out there that will accept AP but not CLEP or DSST.

Unfortunately, once a student graduates HS, the AP door is closed.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
  • ss20ts
(09-07-2023, 12:19 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Because, for whatever reason, there are a multiple universities that accept CLEP credit and not DSST credit, but I don't know of any that accept DSSTs but not CLEP. They may be out there, but I haven't seen any.
My country is not even in the list of countries where there are CLEPs testing centers Big Grin
Most countries aren't. I think my nearest public CLEP testing center is in Manchester, England. I am not currently located in the UK.

Sophia is fine, though.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
  • origamishuttle
(09-07-2023, 12:33 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Most countries aren't. I think my nearest public CLEP testing center is in Manchester, England. I am not currently located in the UK.

Sophia is fine, though.
Thanks Goodness Sophia exists
(09-07-2023, 10:33 AM)ausernameisneeded Wrote: Hi, I'm thinking of doing a public challenge in the coming 3 months.

The challenge is learning and finishing 12 Sophia courses (mostly 100-200 gen eds ones) in 3 months with:
. A minimum of 97% per course
. The same level of mastery as 4.0 student who did those same courses in school
. No cheating (the challenge is not copy-pasting from the textbook efficiently Big Grin )

My time commitment will be 20 to 25 hours a week.

For those of you with experience with Sophia Courses, do you think it's doable?

I don't wanna lose my face Big Grin
I didn't get a 97% on any Sophia course I took, though I never did the practice milestones. 

93% is considered an A by U.S. standards, and for the most part, there is no reason to get high Sophia scores. 

(09-07-2023, 11:24 AM)ausernameisneeded Wrote: But the challenge is a minimum of 97% per course. Big Grin

Also I have a question about the open book nature of Sophia.

I'm very skeptical of it.

Do milestone questions require mastery or can you just pass them by finding where is the answer in the course material?

SL does open book as well. As with anything, what you learn and retain is about your process. I wouldn't blame the provider.

(09-07-2023, 12:07 PM)ausernameisneeded Wrote: Yes, I know about the content.
I've looked into both. They're pretty much the same.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't study.com more respected than Sophia (by grad schools).

In term of trustworthiness:
Clep and DSST > Study.com > Straighterline > Saylor Academy > Sophia

CLEP, you can pass by answering around 50% of the questions correctly, hardly a mastery of a subject, though CLEPs are accepted by most colleges.

I can't speak for every school, but at least for TESU ACE credits are listed on the transcript together, and you can't tell if something was taken at SL, Study.com, Salyor, or Sophia. CLEPs were listed separately.

If you apply to grad school, it is possible some colleges may request your scores from these alt credits. In the vast majority of cases, this isn't a concern I would worry about.

(09-07-2023, 11:49 AM)ausernameisneeded Wrote: It's because of money that I have to do Sophia.
If I had 3k, I would've used study.com for everything Big Grin

Study.com limits you to 5 courses per month. That could extend the time it takes you to get a degree.

In terms of the best quality of videos and something that feels like an actual college course, onlinedegree.com is best for this IMO.

Study.com has these weird cartoon stick figure videos that kind of freaks me out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle
(09-07-2023, 12:33 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Sophia is fine, though.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like origamishuttle's post:
  • rachel83az, teacher2mykids

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Speed of Completion of Sophia.org Courses colonelcamp 5 206 04-26-2024, 06:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 119 63,618 04-25-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: gamebradie
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 12 514 04-24-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 6 948 04-23-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Sophia Human Biology lab tdat314 1 153 04-22-2024, 06:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 571 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,508 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 815 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 1,029 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 278 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77