Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a competency-based Masters in History or similar degree?
I was able to just finish a competency-based degree in History. My job was affected by COVID-19 so after transferring in credits, was able to finish the 36 competency credits in 6 months. That meant cost was really affordable. If I could find a similar master's program, I'm sure I could finish it similarly fast as well, at least until my job returns to normal. The cheapest regular college program I know is FHSU at ~$8000-9000 and my local university would be $11,000, but my competency BA was just $3000 due to how fast I did the courses, hence I am looking for that format again. Additionally, I worked way better not having pressure of due dates for work, I am self-motivated, don't like working to other people's deadlines.

Last I checked for History competency-based Masters degrees was several years ago, and there were none then, but I know new programs and opportunities are appearing and I've not checked this forum in a long time, and know recently many schools that weren't on-line now are due to COVID-19.

Is there currently any competency-based Masters (or even PhD) in History or a similar subject?

Similar subjects would be those falling into Social Sciences, like anthropology, archaeology, area studies, cultural studies, art history, human geography, military studies, etc.
Just wondering... Where did you finish your History? I like competency based degree providers for the same reasons as you, it also saves on cost/energy if you can time yourself.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I don't think that there is any competency-based degree in any of these subjects.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I studied the BA at the U of Maine.
Oh yeah, UMPI, nice choice, several members here are taking or have graduated from them too... they don't seem to have a grad program yet, oh wells... Since you mentioned Social Sciences, would a Masters in Psychology do for you? There are so many subjects you mentioned, LOL, there aren't many in those specific fields...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I don't know of any master's programs which are CBE in history. There's not a ton of master's programs that are CBE. I'm hoping with the impacts of Covid and remote learning that this will change!
(01-17-2021, 12:22 PM)Pelican Wrote: I was able to just finish a competency-based degree in History...
MA in Military History at American Public University.  They have other stuff too.
Maybe something from Purdue Global?
(01-17-2021, 04:36 PM)Alpha Wrote:
(01-17-2021, 12:22 PM)Pelican Wrote: I was able to just finish a competency-based degree in History...
MA in Military History at American Public University.  They have other stuff too.

As far as I can tell, APU doesn't have a competency-based Master's degree. They charge per course. Granted, their fees page says it's $370/credit hour. https://catalog.apus.edu/graduate/tuitio...tion-fees/ and they do have a pure History degree https://catalog.apus.edu/graduate/academ...ementstext but 36 hours @ $370 per hour is $13320.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Purdue Global doesn't have any degrees in history. And only a handful of their degrees have the Excel Track option which is the CBE program. 
(01-17-2021, 05:35 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

Purdue Global doesn't have any degrees in history. And only a handful of their degrees have the Excel Track option which is the CBE program. 
Yes well since our friend Pelican seemed a bit flexible as to the actual subject matter I thought I'd throw out the general idea.  No harm, no foul.

(01-17-2021, 05:13 PM)rachel83az Wrote:

As far as I can tell, APU doesn't have a competency-based Master's degree. They charge per course. Granted, their fees page says it's $370/credit hour. https://catalog.apus.edu/graduate/tuitio...tion-fees/ and they do have a pure History degree https://catalog.apus.edu/graduate/academ...ementstext but 36 hours @ $370 per hour is $13320.

"American Public University System seeks to advance social, economic and environmental well-being through the transformative power of education with:
Dynamic, engaging, quality learning experiences;

• Best-in-class student interfaces;

• Diverse and career relevant degree programs;

• Communities of lifelong learners and practice in selected disciplines;

• Evaluation of transfer credit and competency-based learning;

• Affordability relative to public institutions;

• Strategic partnerships with key stakeholders; and,

• Thought leadership that contributes to effective change in higher education"
I'm sure you know more about these things.  I don't know of any MA History degree that is entirely competency based.  I thought it might be helpful to point out that their degrees can be earned, at least in part, through competency based assessment.  Of course, this is likely true of a number of schools.  I thought it might be better to relax the criteria a bit and so have some options rather than remain rigid and have no options at all.
Mission and Vision | American Public University System (APUS)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 283 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 496 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 271 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,099 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 2,976 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,353 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,634 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,019 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 524 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  British Master’s degree for £1,950 armado 23 3,867 02-17-2024, 01:55 AM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer