Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone taken the GRE?
sklineho Wrote:Also, when they say combined score, is it safe to assume that if I do poorly on quantative but very well on writing, it will balance out? WFU doesn't require a specific GRE score but says that 300+ is good. From previous posts, 300 seems doable.

I needed a specific score on the math section, so I'm not sure how the combined score works. Hopefully, if there is a big discrepancy between the 2 scores, that is the reason that the total score is taken into consideration.

The official practice tests were pretty accurate score-wise. If you are meeting your goals on those, that should be a good indicator that you are ready.

I hope tomorrow's test goes really well for you!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
So I took the GRE today. In a word.........wow. The essay parts were straightforward as was the verbal section. The verbal one is set up just like the questions in the Kaplan study guide. Some of the vocabulary is obscure, and I've got a pretty extensive vocabulary, comparatively.

The math parts on the other hand, not so much. The Kaplan guide was way off. The material is sound but the way they ask the questions is odd. Most (80% probably) asked you the same thing: "Which set is larger, A or B".

I got a combined of 304. I'm told this is a tint inch above average. I'd like to have done better but it should be enough for my grad school application. (WFU has no set score but would like at least 300, so I'm a hair above that). This thing was not fun but it's doable.

Also, to answer my own previous question, the scoring rubric is as follows:

Each of the two tests is scored on a scale of 130-170. These scores combine to make your final score. So the highest score (sans the essay, which is graded separately on a 0-6 scale) is 340.

My scores were Verbal -153 and Quantative - 151. Essentially this means I did worse than I thought I would on verbal and better on math apparently. I felt comfortable on verbal so I'm a bit confused. I'm not sure if all questions are weighted the same, I assume they aren't.

From most things I've read including my own grad schools requirements, if you hit over 300 you did ok.
BA Psychology - TESC

CLEP Biology - 56
CLEP Human Growth and Development - 56
CLEP College Mathematics - 54
CLEP Educational Psychology - 58
CLEP Social Sciences and History - 70
CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 59
ECE Psychology of Adulthood and Aging -B
ECE Research Methods in Psychology - B
DSST Substance Abuse - 429
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling - 53
DSST Intro to World Religion - 458
Congratulations on reaching your target score! I can't imagine trying to take it without a realistic practice test.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
the thing is, pretty much everyone said the Kaplan book was superior to the official ETS book. And for the verbal parts I'd say it was spot-on. The math sections left a lot to be desired. I'd suggest that anyone taking this to get both the Kaplan and ETS books.
BA Psychology - TESC

CLEP Biology - 56
CLEP Human Growth and Development - 56
CLEP College Mathematics - 54
CLEP Educational Psychology - 58
CLEP Social Sciences and History - 70
CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 59
ECE Psychology of Adulthood and Aging -B
ECE Research Methods in Psychology - B
DSST Substance Abuse - 429
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling - 53
DSST Intro to World Religion - 458