Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there any other online college that has pricing similar to WGU?
Hi everyone,
I've recently started the pre re reqs (straighterline) for WGU's BS Healthcare Management Program. After my Bachelors I want to get a Masters in Public Health, unfortunately WGU does not offer that one. I've been looking at other schools that have it but the price is cray! Is there any other school that has similar pricing??
BTW: I've been lurking for a long time, i just want to thank all of you. You've helped me out so many times, just by sharing your stories.
Patten University, Northern Arizona University and Hodges University also offer several competency-based degree programs with cheap flat rate tuition, but I doubt that the masters of public health will be one of their competency offerings.
• Master of Science in Nursing - Eastern New Mexico University (in progress)
• Bachelor of Science in Nursing - Western Governors University (3/2015)
• Associate of Science in Nursing - Platt College (3/2010)
• Diploma of Vocational Nursing - Casa Loma College (10/2005)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Professional licensure: LPN/LVN (1/2006); RN (5/2010)
• 16 brick & mortar credits from Oxnard College (2000 to 2001)
• 38 brick & mortar credits from Tarrant County College (2006 to 2008)
onmygo Wrote:Hi everyone,
I've recently started the pre re reqs (straighterline) for WGU's BS Healthcare Management Program. After my Bachelors I want to get a Masters in Public Health, unfortunately WGU does not offer that one. I've been looking at other schools that have it but the price is cray! Is there any other school that has similar pricing??
BTW: I've been lurking for a long time, i just want to thank all of you. You've helped me out so many times, just by sharing your stories.
Doubt you will find a MPH that's self paced/competency based. You will likely also want to consider the need for CEPH accreditation as that seems to be where the MPH is headed. What state do you live in? I finally ended up just doing the MBA at WGU rather than an MPH. WGU does have an MBA with a Healthcare concentration if that helps at all.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I Live in CA:coolgleam: I might end up going that route as well. I will be paying my way through and the MPH programs I've seen so far (Capella,Kaplan) are too expensive. Are you happy with your decision ?
onmygo Wrote:I Live in CA:coolgleam: I might end up going that route as well. I will be paying my way through and the MPH programs I've seen so far (Capella,Kaplan) are too expensive. Are you happy with your decision ?

Yes I am. After I started the MBA I met a couple of MPH grads working for the State of Florida (where I live). Frankly, I am appalled at how low their pay is. Granted this was in a small to mid size county, but no way I'm shelling out big bucks to make $15-20 an hour. Just doesn't make financial sense.

I elected to go the MBA route and I rely on my clinical background as a Paramedic. It isn't as good as an Rn and certainly no match for an MD, but the MBA/Paramedic combo has me running a clinic, working on opening our second location, and I make considerably more than any MPH I know of. (I'm sure there are one off's that dwarf my salary, but look at ALL their credentials...seldom just a MPH).

My MBA on the other hand, cost my a song (employer paid, but still doable for $6000-$9000 depending on how fast you are). The MBA also makes me a generalist, if I leave healthcare I have lots of options, not pigeonholed. I knew people, have a reasonably impressive resume, and I interview fairly well, but still suspect I would be looking for work or underemployed with an MPH degree.
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I was all signed up here Master of Public Health | University of West Florida

Glad I didn't go that way...

I was going to start with the three courses that make up a Grad Cert in Public Health Emergency Management Public Health | University of West Florida

Sometimes I think about trying that cert to add to my MBA, I can imagine trying to sell that with my background as a reason to hire me....but honestly, I would probably get more mileage from a Cert in Finance (if anything).
AS in EMS August 2010

Ok, I just looked in to the WGU MBA Healthcare Management. One thing is for sure, I love, love the price❤️ I work for a Fortune 500 medical insurance company now so I know that degree will come in handy as far as job growth. I'm an LVN which is not as good as an RN but I have zero interest in going back to nursing school or working as a floor nurse. I'm spoiled with my awesome desk job, hopefully having a nursing background will give me a one up on the other candidates. Thank you so much a million times over.
onmygo Wrote:Ok, I just looked in to the WGU MBA Healthcare Management. One thing is for sure, I love, love the price❤️ I work for a Fortune 500 medical insurance company now so I know that degree will come in handy as far as job growth. I'm an LVN which is not as good as an RN but I have zero interest in going back to nursing school or working as a floor nurse. I'm spoiled with my awesome desk job, hopefully having a nursing background will give me a one up on the other candidates. Thank you so much a million times over.

And that is exactly how I would sell it.

You will be a "Clinician, with a Healthcare focused MBA" maybe not CNO, but no reason you couldn't run clinical units, or oversee the business from a clinical perspective.

Manager >Director > Administrator > COO > CEO is the path to take.

Go get em tiger!

BTW, there are some crazy overachievers out there who knock out the MBA in 6 months for the flat $3250.....they are the exception, but it's possible. One year is a very fair target, $6500 total is not bad at all...the price includes tuition, books, everything. Patten and Hodges have similar programs you should compare all three before deciding.
AS in EMS August 2010

onmygo Wrote:Ok, I just looked in to the WGU MBA Healthcare Management. One thing is for sure, I love, love the price❤️ I work for a Fortune 500 medical insurance company now so I know that degree will come in handy as far as job growth. I'm an LVN which is not as good as an RN but I have zero interest in going back to nursing school or working as a floor nurse. I'm spoiled with my awesome desk job, hopefully having a nursing background will give me a one up on the other candidates. Thank you so much a million times over.

Don't sell yourself short as an LVN, especially if you're looking to move up in non-nursing healthcare administration. A healthcare manager/administrator with any clinical background will always be a much better choice than one without a clinical background.

Wear that LVN with pride. I once knew a nursing home administrator who kept his CNA cert active just so he could put it on his desk nameplate, because he understood and respected the value of the position.

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 315 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 321 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 496 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  South College Developing CBE Master's in Criminal Justice Jonathan Whatley 2 200 03-18-2024, 03:29 AM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 271 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 23 14,346 03-03-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 496 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  South College-CBE Programs JourneyMan 4 359 02-24-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,019 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  German University of Digital Science (100% online, non-profit) Voldigoad 11 1,658 02-15-2024, 04:44 PM