Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is there anywhere (other than Straighterline) where one can take accelerated courses?
thx

knowing the lingo always helps...
Terrific suggestions

Thank you

I will look into each of these, as well
My local community college System, KCTCS, has on demand classes that can be done in very little time. There has been reviews done here on the forum, you can search "KCTCS" and hopefully find some of them. There are a variety of classes offered. Cost is $156 per credit hour.

learnondemand.kctcs.edu
Slobodon Wrote:Thank you. I will look into APU, and, just in case, TESU, as well.

If you're out-of-state, TESU is $499/cr hour. So you would be paying $1500 for a course there. If you're trying to not leave money on the table, it doesn't make much sense to take a class there and pay $300 out of pocket, when you could take a SL course for $150 (or less if you had a coupon). You're paying $300 to not pay $150.

But these other schools are all cheaper, so you will get more bang for your buck.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:If you're out-of-state, TESU is $499/cr hour. So you would be paying $1500 for a course there. If you're trying to not leave money on the table, it doesn't make much sense to take a class there and pay $300 out of pocket, when you could take a SL course for $150 (or less if you had a coupon). You're paying $300 to not pay $150.

But these other schools are all cheaper, so you will get more bang for your buck.

OP stated that he/she wanted to take an actual course for grad school prereq reasons. I think that's a fine reason for choosing TESU/APU/CC over SL. I know I would rather present RA courses for grad school over SL courses, especially when the delta in cost to upgrade to a full RA course is just $150 vs. SL if TESU is the only option.

Another thing to keep in mind is that APU does not offer every course during every term. OP will need to be lucky to be able to use APU.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
Thank you for responding. I'm just catching up, here (feeling quite slow on the uptake, folks...OP, meaning original poster - oh, that's me!, etc. - and Slobodon is a male name)...

Yes, like many of the people who post on this forum, I've a number of directions for grad school(s) and wish to pursue more than one of them, so, I'm just trying to cover one of those options with OPM ("Other People's Money"!).

I'm going to look into APU, this morning.

I appreciate all who read and responded and hope that this thread might prove some use to someone else.

The key takeaway, for me, is to not tarry, allowing the day job, however vital, to detract from the long term educational goal and overall purpose for one's life.

Towards this end, I offer this quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson:

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you into something else is the greatest accomplishment."

I hope that all may achieve this greatest of accomplishments, becoming whatever God, alone, has in store for each, uniquely.
Thank you.

I hadn't run that simply calculus, yet, and that cost per credit hour certainly does tip things in favor of the other options.

Yes, you understand the goal, here, exactly.

I appreciate the help and, if, based on my inquiries of today, have anything to add, will post a follow up/post-mortem that others might follow the bread crumbs, if in similar circumstance.

Thank you, so much.
Just for comparison purposes....the CSU-Pueblo and U of Idaho courses I linked above are roughly $500 for the whole 3 credit class, so about $166 per credit. RA, start nearly anytime, finish as fast as you like (more or less).

LSU around $200 or so per credit https://is.lsu.edu/home.asp?level=CO&online=0&nid=101
BYU a bit over $200/credit https://is.byu.edu/
University of Arkansas $130/credit https://online.uark.edu/self-paced/
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Thank you for the additional information

Will add to my list of places to inquire

Really appreciate all the help
Hey, sorry for being a bit tardy to the party -- I didn't see anyone mention Saylor Academy on here and that's another good one for accelerated credit. Tests for 3 cr are also just $25 a piece.

Good luck!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Offer for StraighterLine Course hsufeng 0 12 34 minutes ago
Last Post: hsufeng
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,410 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 971 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 704 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 530 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 181 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,108 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,883 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 340 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 336 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM