Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's not about where your degree is from....
Here's the list of faculty from Bellevue University's Project Management department. 

https://www.bellevue.edu/degrees/center-...culty-bios

Notice where many of their degrees are from? Many of the same schools we talk about on here frequently. Lots of online schools.

Look at their job history. 

The head of the department completed his bachelor's degree at SUNY Empire State College (ESC). He went on to complete his doctorate at Harvard. He also was just promoted to full professor effective July 1st.

So keep this in mind....it's not where your degree is from. It's the fact that you have one and doors will open for you!
Thanks for the info. I totally agree, a similar situation would be getting an Associates inexpensively for example will open doors to getting a more well known Bachelors elsewhere. The main thing we agree upon is, starting and finishing your first credential, then work on your next. One door opens, to get to the next door... BTW, the link is missing an S at the end - https://www.bellevue.edu/degrees/center-...culty-bios
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • BellaZuri
When it comes to getting into a graduate program, what matters are your grades, test scores (if required), essay, and letters of recommendation. However, he did not complete his doctorate at Harvard; he completed his doctorate at a for-profit university. He did a post-doc at Harvard; it's basically a fellowship to gain research experience. If he had earned a doctorate at Harvard, he wouldn't be teaching at Bellevue.

ETA: Most of their faculty earned degrees at for-profit universities and Bellevue. Hiring so many of your own graduates is considered academic inbreeding. Bellevue is a non-traditional school like Liberty and SUNY Empire.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(06-07-2021, 01:17 PM)sanantone Wrote: When it comes to getting into a graduate program, what matters are your grades, test scores (if required), essay, and letters of recommendation. However, he did not complete his doctorate at Harvard; he completed his doctorate at a for-profit university. He did a post-doc at Harvard; it's basically a fellowship to gain research experience. If he had earned a doctorate at Harvard, he wouldn't be teaching at Bellevue.

ETA: Most of their faculty earned degrees at for-profit universities and Bellevue. Hiring so many of your own graduates is considered academic inbreeding. Bellevue is a non-traditional school like Liberty and SUNY Empire.

Actually, based on reading about him, he would still be teaching at Bellevue with a doctorate from Harvard. He still lives in the same neighborhood he grew up in. 

ETA: Dr. Rahim has shared his story and it's truly remarkable what he has accomplished in his life. Many of us should hope to achieve a fraction of what he has accomplished.

https://pmcenter.bellevue.edu/2021/03/30...mad-rahim/

http://emadrahim.com/

We talk about: 
SUNY Empire State
University of Maryland Global Campus
Walden - comes up OFTEN
University of Phoenix - we usually steer people away from here

The point was just getting the degree opens doors. It's not where the degree is from. Looks like you missed that.
(06-07-2021, 01:29 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 01:17 PM)sanantone Wrote: When it comes to getting into a graduate program, what matters are your grades, test scores (if required), essay, and letters of recommendation. However, he did not complete his doctorate at Harvard; he completed his doctorate at a for-profit university. He did a post-doc at Harvard; it's basically a fellowship to gain research experience. If he had earned a doctorate at Harvard, he wouldn't be teaching at Bellevue.

Actually, based on reading about him, he would still be teaching at Bellevue with a doctorate from Harvard. He still lives in the same neighborhood he grew up in. 

ETA: Dr. Rahim has shared his story and it's truly remarkable what he has accomplished in his life. Many of us should hope to achieve a fraction of what he has accomplished.

https://pmcenter.bellevue.edu/2021/03/30...mad-rahim/

http://emadrahim.com/

We talk about: 
SUNY Empire State
University of Maryland Global Campus
Walden - comes up OFTEN
University of Phoenix - we usually steer people away from here

The point was just getting the degree opens doors. It's not where the degree is from. Looks like you missed that.

I didn't miss it. With my TESU degree, I earned a master's at a top 30 university, and I got into a doctoral program that is ranked #26. With that said, it's not unusual to see people with for-profit doctorates teaching at community colleges and schools like Bellevue and SNHU. Those are non-traditional schools that mostly focus on distance learning. It's exceptionally rare to see someone with an Ivy League doctorate teaching at a primarily online school. Will we see someone with a doctorate from Colorado Technical University teaching full-time at Harvard? Probably not anytime soon unless it's Harvard Extension.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Empire State College doesn't fit being compared with those other schools. The SUNY system is a state school system and is well respected. Cornell has been funded partly by SUNY and that's an Ivy league school.
(06-08-2021, 09:18 AM)eLearner Wrote: Empire State College doesn't fit being compared with those other schools. The SUNY system is a state school system and is well respected. Cornell has been funded partly by SUNY and that's an Ivy league school.

Each school within a university system has its own reputation. While ESC is not exactly comparable to University of Phoenix, it is comparable to University of Maryland Global Campus, TESU, University of Arizona Global Campus, Colorado State University Global Campus, Purdue Global, and COSC. Whether or not a school receives some state funding has nothing to do with its reputation, quality of students, or quality of instruction. ESC is much more like Bellevue and SNHU than Cornell or even the traditional universities within the SUNY system.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(06-08-2021, 09:18 AM)eLearner Wrote: Empire State College doesn't fit being compared with those other schools. The SUNY system is a state school system and is well respected. Cornell has been funded partly by SUNY and that's an Ivy league school.

Cornell is the NYS land grant university. It is VERY much a private university. There are 3 colleges at Cornell which are partially funded by New York State. This does NOT mean the students pay SUNY tuition. They do not. They pay a reduced tuition but it's many times what SUNY tuition is. 

https://www.suny.edu/campuses/cornell/

SUNY as a whole has issues. Some individual schools and programs are well respected. A degree in Spanish from SUNY Brockport is not the same as the University at Buffalo. Even degrees from the University of Buffalo are looked upon better than degrees from the University at Albany. Outside of NY no one seems to pay much attention.

ESC isn't like any other school in the SUNY system. It was built for adult learners. Their degrees are no different than TESU or COSC which are also state schools.
(06-08-2021, 10:43 AM)sanantone Wrote:

Each school within a university system has its own reputation. While ESC is not exactly comparable to University of Phoenix, it is comparable to University of Maryland Global Campus, TESU, University of Arizona Global Campus, Colorado State University Global Campus, Purdue Global, and COSC. Whether or not a school receives some state funding has nothing to do with its reputation, quality of students, or quality of instruction. ESC is much more like Bellevue and SNHU than Cornell or even the traditional universities within the SUNY system.

I'll start by saying that I have no issue with for-profit schools as there are plenty that operate just fine and are responsible. But to be clear, the comparison mismatch to Empire State College is with the schools that are for-profit, once for-profit and are now only non-profit after being bought and converted to a non-profit, entirely online or nearly having all programs entirely online, or schools that have a bad reputation. Those parameters describe almost all of the schools being compared to ESC.

Yes, each school within a university system has its own reputation, and to stay in that system each school has to maintain it by meeting the standards of that system. It's not comparable to the University of Phoenix at all in that regard, nor UOP's poor reputation, profit status, and a number of other things, and doesn't have the not-so-great reputation of University of Arizona Global Campus which is just the absolutely atrocious for-profit Ashford University in a new skin, and Purdue Global which is just the not-very-reputable for-profit Kaplan also in a new skin. Oh, they may be under the tax status of non-profit now, but a new coat of paint doesn't change what's underneath those dumpster fires. At least not this quickly.

(06-08-2021, 10:51 AM)ss20ts Wrote:

Cornell is the NYS land grant university. It is VERY much a private university. There are 3 colleges at Cornell which are partially funded by New York State. This does NOT mean the students pay SUNY tuition. They do not. They pay a reduced tuition but it's many times what SUNY tuition is. 

SUNY as a whole has issues. Some individual schools and programs are well respected. A degree in Spanish from SUNY Brockport is not the same as the University at Buffalo. Even degrees from the University of Buffalo are looked upon better than degrees from the University at Albany. Outside of NY no one seems to pay much attention.

ESC isn't like any other school in the SUNY system. It was built for adult learners. Their degrees are no different than TESU or COSC which are also state schools.

It should be noted that I never mentioned anything about students paying SUNY tuition at Cornell. I stated the fact that Cornell is partly funded through the SUNY system.

Every university system has issues. Every university has issues. The same degree from two or more different schools may differ in utility. That's all beside the point. The point is that the majority of the schools being used here to compare to ESC simply don't match for all the reasons I pointed out in my previous post.
(06-08-2021, 12:27 PM)eLearner Wrote:
(06-08-2021, 10:43 AM)sanantone Wrote:

I'll start by saying that I have no issue with for-profit schools as there are plenty that operate just fine and are responsible. But to be clear, the comparison mismatch to Empire State College is with the schools that are for-profit, once for-profit and are now only non-profit after being bought and converted to a non-profit, entirely online or nearly having all programs entirely online, or schools that have a bad reputation. Those parameters describe almost all of the schools being compared to ESC.

Yes, each school within a university system has its own reputation, and to stay in that system each school has to maintain it by meeting the standards of that system. It's not comparable to the University of Phoenix at all in that regard, nor UOP's poor reputation, profit status, and a number of other things, and doesn't have the not-so-great reputation of University of Arizona Global Campus which is just the absolutely atrocious for-profit Ashford University in a new skin, and Purdue Global which is just the not-very-reputable for-profit Kaplan also in a new skin. Oh, they may be under the tax status of non-profit now, but a new coat of paint doesn't change what's underneath those dumpster fires. At least not this quickly.

(06-08-2021, 10:51 AM)ss20ts Wrote:

It should be noted that I never mentioned anything about students paying SUNY tuition at Cornell. I stated the fact that Cornell is partly funded through the SUNY system.

Every university system has issues. Every university has issues. The same degree from two or more different schools may differ in utility. That's all beside the point. The point is that the majority of the schools being used here to compare to ESC simply don't match for all the reasons I pointed out in my previous post.

ESC is very comparable to TESU, COSC, and Excelsior when it was a public college. All of these schools were founded in the 1970s during a period when New York and New Jersey were experimenting with awarding credits for assessments and serving adult learners. The only thing that differed at ESC was that it had a residency requirement. I also think ESC is comparable to University of Maryland Global Campus (the oldest of the schools mentioned) and Colorado State University Global Campus (a newer version of the schools listed).
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 566 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 257 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 590 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,677 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 563 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 494 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 279 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 838 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,224 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,804 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74