Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JUST NEED HELP...
This forum is so helpful and i only wish i found this out earlier. Please i need some good advice and honest opinions. I know this may sound as a silly question but does anyone know if you can actually obtain a double major from TESU and if it can all be tested out? I am asking because i have a previous degree from my home country in History and International Relations and i have been looking for an online Masters program in International Relations, which is cheap and affordable but without any success. (Only APU was the cheapest, but still on the high side for me). More so, i have discovered that the job market for someone with a major in History alone or History and International relations is not so vast here in the United States, especially in California where i stay. I also have some credits from Patten university. I completed 14 courses with them while trying to major in Industrial Organizational Psychology but withdrew later on. I have already started the process of requesting a transcript from my school back home.

I want to build a career for myself (and also make good money... Smile )

So, i am looking at getting a BA from TESU in History and Organizational management ( with my transcripts from home and from patten university) then go on to WGU for a MBA program or MSML  or

To get  a BA in Psychology using my transcript from Patten and testing out the rest. (The issue with this is that there is hardly any available online Masters program in any concentration in Psychology and if there is, they are quite expensive and not self paced.) 

Presently, I have about 4 years of retail experience (have not been here for long). I love Psychology after history (which is my passion) as i am not so good in maths but i have discovered that sometimes, passion needs to give way for necessity (especially in regards to the job market). 

Please advice.. Huh

Thanks..
If you could do management as a career without being unhappy, I think your WGU MSML idea is a good one, especially if you can finish in 2 terms (or 1) to keep costs lower.

Therefore, I think you should go for a fast, cheap undergraduate degree so you can start the Masters sooner. In your case, psychology would probably be cheaper.

(01-13-2019, 10:08 PM)Ideas Wrote: If you could do management as a career without being unhappy, I think your WGU MSML idea is a good one, especially if you can finish in 2 terms (or 1) to keep costs lower.

Therefore, I think you should go for a fast, cheap undergraduate degree so you can start the Masters sooner. In your case, psychology would probably be cheaper.

Thanks @Ideas, so i guess that will be a BA in Psychology and MSML to follow... Will keep that in mind. But just wondering what the job market holds for that combination though.
I think there are always management jobs for someone with a related Masters degree, plus experience and skill.

Once you have a Masters, undergrad degree won't really matter, if you are staying in the same field as your Masters.

How much time would have for your Masters program?

I don't think there are fast Masters degrees in history or international relations.

There is one in I/O psych but the school isn't the best. https://www.capella.edu/online-degrees/m...sychology/
It might be something you want to go for anyway, but I think management is a lot safer.

WGU is not open to international students; so if you're not a US Citizen then WGU would not be an option.

When you say APU - what school are you referring (there is more than one 'APU')?

As far as obtaining a US bachelor degree from TESU, that is an option - there are quite a few posts here about how you would get your international transcript evaluated for US credit (a forum search should locate those threads).

TESU only accepts credits from Patten University that are ACE recommended (so depending on the courses you took, and when  - you can search here to see what Patten courses are/where ACE recommended https://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseacti...ripts.main).  If you have ACE approved courses from Patten I'm not sure how easy it is to get them added to an ACE transcript now that Patten is no more - You can try adding them and see what happens, I would not delay on this.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(01-14-2019, 08:22 AM)allvia Wrote: WGU is not open to international students; so if you're not a US Citizen then WGU would not be an option.

When you say APU - what school are you referring (there is more than one 'APU')?

As far as obtaining a US bachelor degree from TESU, that is an option - there are quite a few posts here about how you would get your international transcript evaluated for US credit (a forum search should locate those threads).

TESU only accepts credits from Patten University that are ACE recommended (so depending on the courses you took, and when  - you can search here to see what Patten courses are/where ACE recommended https://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseacti...ripts.main).  If you have ACE approved courses from Patten I'm not sure how easy it is to get them added to an ACE transcript now that Patten is no more - You can try adding them and see what happens, I would not delay on this.

I thought WGU had a policy that does not allow students who live outside of the U.S. regardless of citizenship status. I've never heard of them rejecting U.S. permanent residents or visa holders who live in the States.

Patten University was regionally accredited before it was absorbed by the regionally accredited JFK University. They don't have ACE-evaluated courses because they didn't need them. TESU accepts their credits just like they accept other RA credits.

Edit: WGU's policy is based on where you live and not your citizenship. You must live in the States or a U.S. territory. Exceptions are only made for military members and their families living overseas.

https://www.wgu.edu/admissions.html
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(01-13-2019, 10:32 PM)Ideas Wrote: I think there are always management jobs for someone with a related Masters degree, plus experience and skill.

Once you have a Masters, undergrad degree won't really matter, if you are staying in the same field as your Masters.

How much time would have for your Masters program?

I don't think there are fast Masters degrees in history or international relations.

There is one in I/O psych but the school isn't the best. https://www.capella.edu/online-degrees/m...sychology/
It might be something you want to go for anyway, but I think management is a lot safer.

Capella is not on my list of schools anyway. It's way too expensive. As for how much time i have for my masters, i will like to finish as quick as possible, that is why WGU was a good option because of their structure.

(01-14-2019, 09:08 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 08:22 AM)allvia Wrote: WGU is not open to international students; so if you're not a US Citizen then WGU would not be an option.

I thought WGU had a policy that does not allow students who live outside of the U.S. regardless of citizenship status. I've never heard of them rejecting U.S. permanent residents or visa holders who live in the States.

Patten University was regionally accredited before it was absorbed by the regionally accredited JFK University. They don't have ACE-evaluated courses because they didn't need them. TESU accepts their credits just like they accept other RA credits.

Edit: WGU's policy is based on where you live and not your citizenship. You must live in the States or a U.S. territory. Exceptions are only made for military members and their families living overseas.

https://www.wgu.edu/admissions.html

Thanks @sanatone, i actually live legally here in the United states, and as stated earlier, i live in California. And it's good news to know that they will accept my Patten University credits.
Capella has Flexpath programs that are cheap and self-paced.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
If you can go to WGU. Do you need another Bachelor's first? Do you think WGU will just accept you right now and you can start your masters? Seems more efficient than getting another Bachelor's first.
WGU was accepting Canadians from what I recall reading previously, but looking at threads on reddit from google, they are not accepting anymore presently, something to do with obtaining international accreditation.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr