Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just finished my Lib Arts Capstone at TESU
I personally was not able to use sample papers I found here. I structured my module 2 based on a couple sample papers I found in the forum and it turned out it wasn't what my professor wanted. Fortunately, I hadn't submitted anything, but I did have to re-write a lot and move most of it into module 4 based on the sample my professor provided. Your choice of professor will really affect a lot of your experience and expectations, and you can not really prepare yourself for what to expect until you are in the course and know what s/he wants.

I did feel that content didn't matter much - obviously if the sub-questions and content were way off base I know it would have been pointed out. However, I felt my paper was graded almost entirely based on how well I used APA format. That will really depend on the professor.

I would pick really narrow sub-questions. Most professors will edit them. My main question, just by changing one word made it more manageable. Maybe have four or five sub-questions picked out in case you cannot find the research you need, but only write on three at the most if you can help it. Otherwise, you'll end up with a lot of pages and extra work.

The capstone was a valuable experience as I've had to write a lot of APA papers in grad school. However, it's not a typical APA paper. The modules help break it down into manageable chunks but I felt it was a lot of starting and stopping and redundancy. Four separate introductions and conclusions in the same paper isn't normal.

To prepare ahead, I would just read about your subject as much as you can. You won't use half of it and you might even change your angle a lot, but you'll have a solid base. Most people get really bogged down in the research. It's the most time-consuming part. Picking a topic you already know a lot about will help too. I picked something I was really comfortable with and had been reading about for more than year. It was not hard to find the resources I needed and I had a pretty good idea what questions would work or not work. Even with that, I regret I didn't narrow things down a lot more. 3/4 of the way through I came across a more interesting angle but didn't want to re-write everything. I was really sick of the whole thing by the end too! Months working on the same topic is hard when you are used to going through a study.com course in a week.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
[-] The following 3 users Like rlw74's post:
  • Cheeseburrito, davewill, Zippadeedoodah
I completed my capstone today and am awaiting grading.

I was sick and tired of this paper by the time I finished (12 days early, too). Even though the topic interested me greatly and I enjoyed what I learned, the content really burned me out. I got sick of reading my writing over and over again trying to reach perfection.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheeseburrito's post:
  • MSK9
(06-12-2018, 06:54 AM)rlw74 Wrote: I personally was not able to use sample papers I found here. I structured my module 2 based on a couple sample papers I found in the forum and it turned out it wasn't what my professor wanted. Fortunately, I hadn't submitted anything, but I did have to re-write a lot and move most of it into module 4 based on the sample my professor provided. Your choice of professor will really affect a lot of your experience and expectations, and you can not really prepare yourself for what to expect until you are in the course and know what s/he wants.

I did feel that content didn't matter much - obviously if the sub-questions and content were way off base I know it would have been pointed out. However, I felt my paper was graded almost entirely based on how well I used APA format. That will really depend on the professor.

I would pick really narrow sub-questions. Most professors will edit them. My main question, just by changing one word made it more manageable. Maybe have four or five sub-questions picked out in case you cannot find the research you need, but only write on three at the most if you can help it. Otherwise, you'll end up with a lot of pages and extra work.

The capstone was a valuable experience as I've had to write a lot of APA papers in grad school. However, it's not a typical APA paper. The modules help break it down into manageable chunks but I felt it was a lot of starting and stopping and redundancy. Four separate introductions and conclusions in the same paper isn't normal.

To prepare ahead, I would just read about your subject as much as you can. You won't use half of it and you might even change your angle a lot, but you'll have a solid base. Most people get really bogged down in the research. It's the most time-consuming part. Picking a topic you already know a lot about will help too. I picked something I was really comfortable with and had been reading about for more than year. It was not hard to find the resources I needed and I had a pretty good idea what questions would work or not work. Even with that, I regret I didn't narrow things down a lot more. 3/4 of the way through I came across a more interesting angle but didn't want to re-write everything. I was really sick of the whole thing by the end too! Months working on the same topic is hard when you are used to going through a study.com course in a week.
I agree with all of that
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,922 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,020 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,578 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,204 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,290 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,279 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,317 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic