Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just getting started. Confused on whether to take the tests first or apply to TESC.
I've been reading a lot of posts on DF and DI. I'm tremendously interested in the plan that Sanantone has put together for the BSBA in General Management for TESC. Looks like the changes made just a few months ago are not helping my efforts but that's ok!

I'm starting from the very beginning. I had a child at an early age and did not attend any higher education classes at all so I am starting from scratch. I'm in a good place now to dedicate time and resources to this effort and the various advice I read on this forum is priceless.

The one question I have though is the timeline of things. There are quite a few CLEP, DSST, TECEP, Uexcel, ALEKS, SL, etc tests that I need to take since I have zero credits and the question is should I go and take all of these various tests first and then apply to TESC or should I be applying to TESC first and then taking these tests? I have not yet learned if I can take TECEP exams without being enrolled. Same with Excel exams but the question is mostly whether I should take CLEP, DSST, ALEKS, SL (if I do these at all) and then apply to TESC or apply to TESC first and then start taking these tests.

Seems like it would be nice to apply to TESC having already completed the majority of the exams I need to complete and just get credit but I'm on unfamiliar ground so I hope someone can help me understand this part of the process a bit better.

I did a couple searches here and didn't see this spelled out but if it is a link would be great.

Appreciate the advice!
TESC does NOT keep things simple like COSC and EC. They are also not upfront on UExcel/ECE examinations exams.

CLEP/DSST at TESC
Thomas Edison State College: Other Exam Programs
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

You can get started with exams without being enrolled anywhere. Most complete 100 plus hours before enrolling. CLEP and dsst scores are kept on file for 20 years minimal.

The purpose of the degree plans is to help you get started and have a plan without needing to consult with the school early on. TECEP and Uexcel can also be taken without being enrolled anywhere

With all that said, keep an eye on things, schools will often change rules without a great deal of notice. So there could come a time when you need to enroll to secure the degree plan you're working. For example a couple years ago TESC stopped accepting FEMA credits, those that had completed these had to go on and enroll or risk losing those credits. So pay attention! Smile
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
It also depends on what enrollment plan you wish to use. If you go the per credit plan you should wait until enrolled to take the TECEPs otherwise it doesn't matter. You do not need to be enrolled at TESC or Excelsior to take their exams.

If you are sure you want to go to TESC following Sanantones plan and taking the 100 level test first makes sense. If you want to make sure TESC does not change the rules you need to apply before July 1, 1916, they always update requirements on July 1.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Thank you all for the advice. This is exactly what I needed to know! So I can get started right away which is great.

I don't have to follow Sanantone's plan but it does look like a workable plan for me. If nothing else it is where I'm going to start unless anyone has big objections to this plan.

What is yet to be seen in how quickly I can achieve success through testing and how many credits I can earn over the next, say, nine months. It looks a bit like TESC is tightening the belt, so to speak, with each passing year so maybe by the time I have a number of these tests completed I will be selecting a plan with a different college. I understand the plan would change things and there is the possibility of wasting some time and money on tests that don't apply to the new plan but I'm not trying to do this as absolutely lean as possible and it wouldn't be a total waste having learned whatever the subject matter was for the test that is no longer helpful.

Lindagerr, I was looking at the per credit plan with TESC. Can you tell me more about how this changed the TECEP exams?
I applied at TESC before July 1 to lock in the catalog that I wanted, and have 11 courses remaining. 8 of those will be TECEP's to get the per-credit plan residency requirement met. But, once you take a TECEP, you are considered enrolled for 6 months, and the catalog year you are under stays with you for those 6 months. Take another TECEP, and so on...it's a rolling 6-months.

I would wait to enroll anywhere, as you have a long way to go. Once you get a good amount of credits under your belt though, then start to take a look at the colleges again.

Also, I would do a lot of free/cheap stuff first: ALEKS, Saylor, TEEX, Kaplan PLA, etc. It's nice to get some credits under your belt and onto the ACE transcript early on, without having to spend a lot of money.

I would also do "groups" of courses so that studying is easier...if you're going to take a bunch of math courses on ALEKS (Int. Algebra, College Algebra, Precalculus & Statistics for instance), also think about taking the Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP and the College Math CLEP. If you're going to take the TEEX computer courses, think about taking the Computers DSST or CLEP, the Computer Concepts TECEP, and Management Info Systems DSST. Things like that. There are lots of courses/exams that can be done in groups (Psychology, Business, History, etc.).

Once you get a bunch of credits (maybe 90+), if it's before July 1, go ahead and apply to TESC to see where you stand and lock in the catalog. You would hate to wait, and have them change the plan on you when you start to get close to the finish line.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU - apply as non-matriculating student, or TECEP only? Kelly Green 0 1,193 08-13-2018, 05:11 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,646 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU - How do you apply for the two degree at the same time?? allvia 3 1,364 06-22-2018, 01:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
Thumbs Up Charter Oak apply for free through 01/05/18 allvia 4 2,667 06-02-2018, 02:40 PM
Last Post: allvia
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,454 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  BSBA TESU - Confused First Timer taylor100550 11 2,688 02-02-2018, 10:56 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Enroll/Register at TESU: what is cheapest path to get started? sheagang6 6 2,187 02-02-2018, 12:42 PM
Last Post: rlw74
  Help getting started yayowonder 8 1,781 02-02-2018, 05:04 AM
Last Post: yayowonder
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,197 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  With all this spooky talk of changes, should I go ahead and get started with TESU? leland.kirk 27 4,935 01-23-2018, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Cheeseburrito