Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KFC and WGU
Get a bucket of college
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases...29443.html
[-] The following 2 users Like Alpha's post:
  • allvia, jsd
I mean, I'm not sure that WGU is the best option for most KFC employees...but I guess if it's all they offer, it can't hurt to take advantage of it. I wonder if they'll change the plan very quickly once they have students get in and finish 0 credits in a 6mo term (or very few credits). I give it until September 1, 2023 before we see some changes...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-25-2023, 05:02 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I mean, I'm not sure that WGU is the best option for most KFC employees...but I guess if it's all they offer, it can't hurt to take advantage of it.  I wonder if they'll change the plan very quickly once they have students get in and finish 0 credits in a 6mo term (or very few credits).  I give it until September 1, 2023 before we see some changes...

I am guessing that they have some sort of arrangement where the cost is deeply discounted in the first place.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(01-26-2023, 07:31 AM)Vle045 Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 05:02 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I mean, I'm not sure that WGU is the best option for most KFC employees...but I guess if it's all they offer, it can't hurt to take advantage of it.  I wonder if they'll change the plan very quickly once they have students get in and finish 0 credits in a 6mo term (or very few credits).  I give it until September 1, 2023 before we see some changes...

I am guessing that they have some sort of arrangement where the cost is deeply discounted in the first place.

Sure - but I'm still going to guess that a self-paced program is difficult for many to be successful in, and for someone working at KFC, who probably doesn't already have experience in business or CompSci or whatever, this is not going to work out well.

I've found that WGU is best for people already in the field who can test out of many courses.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Exactly, I would love to get an IT type of degree to feel like a polymath. But I have zero real-world experience and it would a waste of money
DNP, MBA, MSIO, MSN
Ph.D. candidate - Leadership emphasis in Business
University of the Cumberlands
I’m actually on the other end of the debate. I think grad rates are probably pretty low for any free tuition programs. With that being said I think going at your own pace with no deadlines might be beneficial for some who are reluctant to take courses because of.

I would not go to WGU for a degree that I was paying for unless I was very experienced in the field, and then I would still be reluctant because it could/ would cost me a lot of money. It  would be hard to project costs. but now if it was free ? Well then maybe.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pats20's post:
  • rachel83az
Heck, even if they only get one course done per term, it's still progress. Worst case, you get one class done and don't keep going. Best case, you make progress toward a degree. If I worked at KFC, I'd give it a shot. That's what I did with the free term at Walden. Of course, I learned that slow and steady is better for me. BUT... if I had started with them on a full ride that didn't matter how long it took, I might have stuck with them. I didn't continue because, at MY pace, it would have cost me a fortune. Instead, I am doing my program at a school where I got a HUGE discount, plus using every dollar my employer gives for tuition. It might take me forever, but I am learning and making progress toward an MBA. Maybe I will finish before I retire. LOL
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
I'm not saying this isn't a good deal for employees, what I am saying is that KFC isn't going to get a lot of bang for their buck here, and will change/discontinue the program because of that.
I doubt KFC cares much about how many of their employees finish. They get to use the money they're spending as a tax write-off, and that happens whether or not their employee completes the program.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(01-27-2023, 06:20 PM)jsd Wrote: I doubt KFC cares much about how many of their employees finish. They get to use the money they're spending as a tax write-off, and that happens whether or not their employee completes the program.
Yes. I don’t think they really care. It’s a tax write off perk  Plus the few that actually finish with these programs by KFC Walmart Starbucks ect probably move on anyways before any benefit is realized by the company. Many are working there solely for the benefit.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pats20's post:
  • Vle045