Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kids Degree Plan
Hello! 

My kiddos are 12 & 14. They just started taking the College ACE credits through Study.com (They love them)

So far both have 9 credits & will work on 24 to 30 this year (some credits coming from the Free Sophia courses & others that people post)  We are also looking at maybe doing a few CLEPS but as of right now they really like Study.......

I have a Degree Plan for TESU, just because they show what you need and its easier to figure out. Someone was telling me that it would be easier to go through COCO because they will more than likely have enough credits to graduate by their senior year of highschool with their Bachelors (We were looking at the Liberal Studies Bachelors) 

The classes will Vary but my daughter is taking Psychology & Criminal Justice classes through Study along with generals...

My son is taking the generals along with a bunch of computer classes through Study.

We live in Minnesota so in 11th grade they are both looking at going PSEO at our local Tech School.  My son is looking at Electrical & HVAC credits...  

My daughter would like to take Sign Language Courses and whatever interests her and would go towards her getting a job working for 4H extention in our area.

When I've dug into things it looks like COCO you need more upper division credits then TESU but is their other things that I'm missing and does anyone have a form that states what classes are needed through COCO so we can degree plan for their Degree??? 

THanks,

Anna Faye
I'd suggest you connect with http://hs4cc-academy.thinkific.com/ (if you haven't already).

Jennifer's website is https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.com/. Her book is terrific.

Also there are many degree plans around on this website (also depends on major).

Yes, Charter Oak State College is easier to work with if you are a minor. Also, they are less expensive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Clepper43's post:
  • cookderosa
COSC's GE requirements are here: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...ements.php

They don't do things the same as TESU, the GE's are a checkbox - meaning a single course can help you satisfy multiple requirements - so World Religion would satisfy both Non-US History or Culture AND Global Understanding for instance. You can also use non-Liberal Arts courses to satisfy things - so International Business will satisfy Global Understanding for example.

They also have a BSLS option in addition to the BALS. So, for the BALS, it's 90cr of Liberal Arts and 30cr of Non-Liberal Arts (Free Electives). The BSLS is 60cr of Liberal Arts and 60cr of Non-LA. A nice option if you have a student who wants to take things that aren't LA courses but still fit them into a plan.

30cr of UL is required, 18cr must be in the concentration/major, and then the other 12cr can be anywhere within the degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • CatsDomino, cookderosa
(12-13-2019, 11:44 AM)Clepper43 Wrote: I'd suggest you connect with http://hs4cc-academy.thinkific.com/ (if you haven't already).

I suggest you don't 

you can get all that information here for free if people just give it you 
that's what this site is for
(12-13-2019, 11:04 AM)SkaroFamily Wrote: Hello! 

My kiddos are 12 & 14. They just started taking the College ACE credits through Study.com (They love them)

So far both have 9 credits & will work on 24 to 30 this year (some credits coming from the Free Sophia courses & others that people post)  We are also looking at maybe doing a few CLEPS but as of right now they really like Study.......

I have a Degree Plan for TESU, just because they show what you need and its easier to figure out. Someone was telling me that it would be easier to go through COCO because they will more than likely have enough credits to graduate by their senior year of highschool with their Bachelors (We were looking at the Liberal Studies Bachelors) 

The classes will Vary but my daughter is taking Psychology & Criminal Justice classes through Study along with generals...

My son is taking the generals along with a bunch of computer classes through Study.

We live in Minnesota so in 11th grade they are both looking at going PSEO at our local Tech School.  My son is looking at Electrical & HVAC credits...  

My daughter would like to take Sign Language Courses and whatever interests her and would go towards her getting a job working for 4H extention in our area.

When I've dug into things it looks like COCO you need more upper division credits then TESU but is their other things that I'm missing and does anyone have a form that states what classes are needed through COCO so we can degree plan for their Degree??? 

THanks,

Anna Faye

Don't let the UL classes scare you away from COSC. Study.com has a lot of them so don't let that be your deciding factor. My 19 yr old daughter is finishing her degree at TESU but my 17 yr old is planning on COSC. TESU changes policies frequently so even if you start planning now, it would be different by the time they can enroll. COSC does not change much.

If you have any MN specific questions, please feel free to message me through FB (I'm the MN HS4CC group moderator). I also have a 13 year old so I'm walking through this with you! I would be happy to help!
[-] The following 2 users Like Murdockb's post:
  • cookderosa, dragonwolf
(12-14-2019, 09:46 AM)Murdockb Wrote:
(12-13-2019, 11:04 AM)SkaroFamily Wrote: Hello! 

THanks,

Anna Faye

Don't let the UL classes scare you away from COSC. Study.com has a lot of them so don't let that be your deciding factor. My 19 yr old daughter is finishing her degree at TESU but my 17 yr old is planning on COSC. TESU changes policies frequently so even if you start planning now, it would be different by the time they can enroll. COSC does not change much.

If you have any MN specific questions, please feel free to message me through FB (I'm the MN HS4CC group moderator). I also have a 13 year old so I'm walking through this with you! I would be happy to help

Quote:I'd suggest you connect with http://hs4cc-academy.thinkific.com/ (if you haven't already).

I suggest you don't 

you can get all that information here for free if people just give it you 
that's what this site is for
My recommendation is that you DO!
My daughter is earning 90 credits on Study.com because she prefers it to everything else. She enjoys learning with the lessons and quizzes without the stress of being a kid walking onto a college campus and taking an exam with a room full of adults. She has earned 45 credits and is 14. If you don't already follow Jennifer at Homeschooling for college credit then you are missing out. This forum is great for adults but Jennifer is the expert on earning college credit in middle school and high school. She has helped people in this forum for over 10 years as well as on her website and fb groups by the same name, all for free. The fact that Jennifer, Danika and Jenny are only charging 300 for all of their expertise, it's an AMAZING deal. Homeschoolers are more limited because of age as well as it needing to be our students high school education. Also, we have to plan up to 4 years out so we we need to be educated on what credits are kids are earning because a lot can change in 4 years and we don't want to waste our time and money. This forum is great to earn quick, cheap credits, but if you have a homeschooling student wanting to earn college credit...Jennifer is the expert! #HS4CC
[-] The following 2 users Like dragonwolf's post:
  • cookderosa, Murdockb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with Degree Plan origamishuttle 12 1,897 06-02-2022, 06:05 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  COSC BA Phycology Degree plan needed vetvso 16 2,543 02-08-2022, 03:49 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Want to Earn a COSC degree? Start Here!! natshar 16 18,466 12-07-2021, 04:45 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Help with a COSC Bachelor Degree TINASAM 6 1,658 04-14-2021, 04:41 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  COSC roadmap & degree plans rachel83az 11 2,837 02-05-2021, 10:47 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC - No CLEP/All Online BSBA Degree Transcript ReyMysterioso 53 17,675 08-13-2020, 10:02 AM
Last Post: cecilgambe7
  COSC Strategic Plan - interesting Clepper43 13 2,364 06-17-2020, 10:19 AM
Last Post: walkingbyfaith
  COSC Associates Degree block transfer to COSC? Clepper43 2 1,161 06-09-2020, 11:23 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Associate Degree COSC BigDaddy1 20 4,375 05-27-2020, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Clepper43
  Cosc degree in american studies Clepking100 3 1,236 05-26-2020, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Tedium