Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone TESC
JohnnyHeck Wrote:Your topic is in a field or interest to you. That's great, but in your preliminary literature research of "scholarly" papers you will have to find a narrow corner of existing research that is inadequately exposed, defined, or connected. Keep in mind that in your Chapter 4 Results you will have to come up with a way to show how you have attempted to resolve the issue. Contrast and compare table, timeline association, references count favoring one theory or another could all be used. Your chosen method goes in Chapter 3. The other potential trap that you will probably find in your subject is that you may not know enough about any theories within the field to adequately weigh in on the topic. E.g. My broad subject Music Therapy as Medicine. There is a ton of psycho-social theory and papers coming at the subject from this angle. But I could not really understand most of it without a PhD under my belt So I thought I was really narrowing down the topic enough when I chose to just look at Music Therapy within the bio-medicine. But not so because I was forced by the logic of my main point to research the concept of Evidence Based Medicine, EBM, (I could have stopped hear with a different main point.) and the dependence of the development of EBM on the advancement of mathematical statistics. Here, I could have used a timeline analysis. Hope this helps a little bit more on "the big picture".
Continued good luck.

P. s. I'll be interested to hear what your Casey approved main point of interest turns out to be.

I am still waiting for Dr. Casey to get back to me regarding my topic. In the meantime, I have drafted my first chapter since it's due a week from today but I have no idea if it will be approved. I did narrow it down to the cognitive advantages of bilingualism, rather than just psycholinguistics of bilingualism in general.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
ladylearner Wrote:I am still waiting for Dr. Casey to get back to me regarding my topic. In the meantime, I have drafted my first chapter since it's due a week from today but I have no idea if it will be approved. I did narrow it down to the cognitive advantages of bilingualism, rather than just psycholinguistics of bilingualism in general.

Thanks for the update. I look forward to hearing what your hypothesis/main point on this topic will be. Regarding intermediate due dates in Guided Study: These are not hard and fast. Just let Dr. Casey know approximately when you will submit. IMO it would be better to do enough research and be a bit later than to commit to main point that you will backtrack because you did not realize what research was already out there. Remember, you are trying to find a main point where it's connection to the current published research has not been adequately exposed and your paper will now make it so.
Well I had to admit I want going to finish my paper on time. Apparently the mentors aren't allowed to accept work after the term on their own. I had to apply for an official extension at $200. It is supposed to be good for 8 weeks, but I only need two. Work has been trying to kill me, and I just kept falling farther behind. Now I can breathe a little.

The mentor scared me because he only told me that he couldn't extend past Sunday. He posted about the official extension later as a public announcement.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Hurrah!!!! I turned in my final paper last night. The mentor said he should have it graded this weekend.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

So, thinking of Capstone again. Would it be doable/not overly stressful for a busy homeschooling mom to also do an online UL SocSci course during the Capstone semester? And if so, does anyone have a suggestion for relatively low key/easy? I was looking at SOS-320 Mgt of Stress and Tension, or SOS-304 Drugs and Society.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
In your request since you said the key operative word "busy", I don't recommend letting any other priority except your family get in the way of your Capstone unless your other course can be dropped or deferred without penalty if need be. It's not that the Capstone is that hard, it's just confusing and tedious at times - particularly the Literature Research phase. Let other chime in here with their thoughts. Good luck.
I can't say I recommend doing a second class if you're already busy. However, if writing is a forte for you, or the other class is really easy, I'm sure it could be done.

davewill Wrote:I can't say I recommend doing a second class if you're already busy. However, if writing is a forte for you, or the other class is really easy, I'm sure it could be done.

JohnnyHeck Wrote:In your request since you said the key operative word "busy", I don't recommend letting any other priority except your family get in the way of your Capstone unless your other course can be dropped or deferred without penalty if need be. It's not that the Capstone is that hard, it's just confusing and tedious at times - particularly the Literature Research phase. Let other chime in here with their thoughts. Good luck.

Thank you both!

Unfortunately I am extremely busy with lots of volunteer work, not to mention chauffeuring kids of all ages here, there, and everywhere. Very limited timewise. I usually take 1 regular course a semester and can do some SL or a TECEP as well, but probably not coursework for two classes unless very very easy. And not sure what I could find for that if it needs to be UL AOS :p
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Mamasaphire Wrote:Thank you both!

Unfortunately I am extremely busy with lots of volunteer work, not to mention chauffeuring kids of all ages here, there, and everywhere. Very limited timewise. I usually take 1 regular course a semester and can do some SL or a TECEP as well, but probably not coursework for two classes unless very very easy. And not sure what I could find for that if it needs to be UL AOS :p

+1, if you're extremely busy, it's best to just take one thing at a time. As your signature states - slow and steady, you'll make it there soon.
Good luck on which ever one you decide, my recommendation is to take a course and leave the capstone as the final one to take (unless it's the easiest).
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Yes, I think I'll probably end up doing that. I was just thinking since I needed the UL credits and it would help me get some financial aid, it might be better to do two at once. But grades are important to me, so I'll probably just focus on one thing at a time and hope that I find a way to pay for the courses.
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,167 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,347 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,621 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  BUS-421 - Capstone - Final Project Submitted! Gloddy 16 4,766 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,742 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  TESU LIberal Studies, what qualifies jeffreymb 9 2,264 07-26-2018, 01:35 PM
Last Post: rlw74
  TESU LIB-495 Capstone Ideas JanuarySunshine 1 1,676 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,666 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 5,030 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  Capstone TESU d.cononge 16 4,839 06-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JayUsher