Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Least Expensive Doctorates in Psychology, Counseling, or Other Mental Health fields
I have been working on finding some information for a few people who are interested in these degrees for under $50,000 total. This is what I've come up with so far:

Amridge University - PhD in Professional Counseling = $46,800

California Southern University - PsyD (Doctor of Psychology) = $35,970

Regent University - Ph.D. in Counseling & Psychological Studies = $35,445(?)

Kairos University - DPC (Doctor of Professional Counseling) = $12,000 ($400 per month at an expected completion time of 2.5 years)

Anyone know of some others?
[-] The following 2 users Like eLearner's post:
  • Ideas, Jonathan Whatley
A good addition to this post would be which of these programs are accredited for licensure to practice. I know several PHD programs are not designed for practice.
In Progress: 
Excelsior - BPS Business and Management
Study.com - Business 307, Sociology 305, Psychology 315
ASU - Algebra, PreCalc, Calculus
Luna - Bio2 Lab

Completed: 
Universidad Isabel I - MBA/Master Bus & Corp Comm
Kirkwood - AAS Business Administration, Certificate of Human Resources 3.8 GPA
Excelsior - AAS Applied Technologies Electronics 4.0 GPA
TADA - Google Project Management, Google Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
CSM Learn
US Navy (Electronics Tech 3rd Class) - NER-ET-004, NV-2202-0165 V02, NV-1715-1788 V01, NV-1715-1796 V01, NV-1715-1585 V01, NV-1715-1336 V02

TECEP: 9 Credits
Man-3730, OPM-3010, Bus-3110

Study.com: 6 Credits
Philosophy 301

Lawshelf: 15 Credits
BUS-201, BUS-301, BUS-302, GOV-202, EMP-301

CLEP: 48 Credits
College Math, Financial Accounting, Principles of Micro & Macroeconomics, Intro Sociology, Intro Psychology, Analyze and Interpreting Literature, Intro Business Law, Principles of Marketing, Biology, US History 1 & 2, Humanities

DSST: 9 Credits
Principles of Public Speaking, Ethics in America, Principles of Supervision
An interesting note, is that Cal Southern's program requires a masters for admission, but if you have two masters, up to 30/66 credits can be transferred in. They do not process Title IV funds, but the program is licensure-eligible in California and several other states (due to being regionally but not programmatically/APA accredited).

Of further note, the Cummings Graduate Institute has a Doctor of Behavioral Health for $400 per credit, and at 60 credits it comes out to around $24k.
[-] The following 2 users Like DeanLewis's post:
  • eLearner, Ideas
(01-14-2024, 05:03 PM)GameSlinger Wrote: A good addition to this post would be which of these programs are accredited for licensure to practice. I know several PHD programs are not designed for practice.
Many aren't. Maybe most. Of the ones I listed, I believe only California Southern University's program is eligible for licensure.

That said, licensure isn't the goal of everyone who pursues these degrees, and given how difficult it is to become licensed at the Doctoral level in a mental health discipline due to state rules (hence the shortage of Psychologists for example), it's no surprise that most people don't even bother pursuing licensure.
The Kairos DPC requires master's-level licensure to enter.

Wilmington University's Doctor of Social Science (DSocSci) in Prevention Science is around $27,144 base, potentially less with approved transfer credit from a master's. I've seen one or two master's-level therapists on LinkedIn having gone on to that.

Liberty has a few online doctorates in the neighborhood including a non-licensure PhD in Psychology and EdD in Community Care and Counseling, a PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision (for master's-level licensed), and others. Competitive tuition becomes even more so with discounts for target populations like military and first responders.

Capella recently made its Doctor of Human Services (DHS) available in the FlexPath CBE format. $3000 per 12-week period.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • eLearner, Ideas
(01-14-2024, 08:23 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: The Kairos DPC requires master's-level licensure to enter.

Plus 3 years of post Master's experience in Counseling, along with liability insurance. As time has passed, they've added more things to clear in order to be accepted into the program. I don't think that's a bad thing really, but I'm not sure how well that works for enrollment numbers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eLearner's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
Some states allow foreign equivalents, would that work for some people? It may be an avenue to investigate though, I would recommend checking with your state requirements and see what may fit and what can't/won't fit them...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
One person speaks Spanish and some Portuguese, so there may be opportunities there. No one never expressed interest in foreign programs but there may be something there. I'll just have match some programs with state requirements (for those concerned about that part, not all are from what I could gather) and see what could work.
(01-15-2024, 07:18 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Some states allow foreign equivalents, would that work for some people? It may be an avenue to investigate though, I would recommend checking with your state requirements and see what may fit and what can't/won't fit them...

I'm not sure that any US states would welcome any exclusively online training from a foreign vendor. Pretty much universally, a supervised internship/practicum of 650-1000 hours, pre-licensure is required. I would not recommend folks seeking licensure go that route, it's already pretty difficult to be licensed graduating from a regionally accredited US program LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes DeanLewis's post:
  • openair
(01-16-2024, 11:58 AM)DeanLewis Wrote: I'm not sure that any US states would welcome any exclusively online training from a foreign vendor. Pretty much universally, a supervised internship/practicum of 650-1000 hours, pre-licensure is required. I would not recommend folks seeking licensure go that route, it's already pretty difficult to be licensed graduating from a regionally accredited US program LOL

For things like that, if it comes up as a concern, I would make sure I've done the research to make sure a program is acceptable in that regard before I present it to them. Wouldn't want to send someone into an unpleasant surprise.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Video from South College about CBE Doctorates NotJoeBiden 0 319 02-14-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  GUATEMALA PhD's by Thesis for ~ USD $14,000; Philosophy, many fields. MFG 1 388 02-02-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: MFG
  Jagiellonian Doctorates Habitus 1 546 11-25-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Texila American University - $7800 online PhD (multiple fields) Kalas 9 1,737 11-07-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  1-year Doctor of Health Science sanantone 1 931 08-20-2023, 02:52 AM
Last Post: datby98
  Any All-But-Dissertation (ABD) Doctorate in Psychology (Psy.D./Ph.D.) programs? PositiveSoul 6 1,770 02-09-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Georgia Southern Dr Public Health freeloader 0 806 01-19-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: freeloader
  Doctor of Health Care Administration sanantone 11 2,103 12-22-2022, 11:21 AM
Last Post: newdegree
  Inexpensive Doctorates - Search your desired country bjcheung77 12 4,237 11-10-2022, 08:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  EdS/Phd Hybrid/Online School Psychology programs? nyvrem 7 2,343 09-02-2022, 03:58 PM
Last Post: allvia