Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letters of Recommendation
I have been accumulating the list of MFA creative writing programs that I plan to apply to for next year after I complete my TESU BALS.

Pretty much all of the programs require at least one letter of recommendation. Some ask for three, with at least one from an academic source. My biggest issue is that while I may be able to get an academic recommendation it would not be from an area related to creative writing, as all of that coursework was nearly 20 years ago.

I was considering enrolling in the post-bac writing certificate offered by Berkeley Extension online. The big draw back is that there are set course dates and I would not be able to start until after I finish at TESU and officially have my BA. That would mean having to wait for the next year's application cycle before I would have taken a class or two from someone that could write a recommendation.

The option I am currently leaning towards is to take some of the online creative writing courses through Stanford's Continuing Studies. They only require a high school diploma or equivalent to enroll, so I could get started before my BA is official.

Anyone know of any other online creative writing courses/programs that could help me get an academic recommendation?
You might see if CSU-Pueblo has o course or two that can help you.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
BYU IS has an online writing courses:https://is.byu.edu/site/courses/index.cfm?school=univ#university=on|high-school=false|middle-school=false|continuing-education=false|ig=on|online=on|paper=on

Creative Writing
Writing Creative Nonfiction
Writing Poetry
Writing for Children and Adolescents

$534/course
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:BYU IS has an online writing courses:https://is.byu.edu/site/courses/index.cfm?school=univ#university=on|high-school=false|middle-school=false|continuing-education=false|ig=on|online=on|paper=on

Creative Writing
Writing Creative Nonfiction
Writing Poetry
Writing for Children and Adolescents

$534/course

Thanks, I sometimes forget about BYU courses. I was able to find some published pieces by the course instructor which were mostly poetry. There was some indication that he's also into creative non-fiction. Will likely put this option on the backburner as possibility.
what MFA courses are you applying to? Are they in person or online?
yb1 Wrote:what MFA courses are you applying to? Are they in person or online?

The only fully online MFA in Creative Writing that I am aware of is UT El Paso. I may apply to the program in case some plans change. My current situation allows me some whimsy in my choices.
I have heard of a program at Lindenwood, but the admissions process is light, so I am skeptical.

I am applying to one full-time residential program, which is the only one in my metropolitan area that is not tinged with a religious focus (I doubt my writing would go over well in such institutions....)
Unfortunately this program accepts < 10% of applicants.....so.....

The majority of what I'm applying to are low-residency programs. Some of them have online-course components, but most of the ones that I am interested in are mentor based and method of communication online/mail varies. This is probably the most practical option for me, but if I get into the traditional program I am jumping on that offer with all of my whimsical feet.
DavidHume Wrote:I have been accumulating the list of MFA creative writing programs that I plan to apply to for next year after I complete my TESU BALS.

Pretty much all of the programs require at least one letter of recommendation. Some ask for three, with at least one from an academic source. My biggest issue is that while I may be able to get an academic recommendation it would not be from an area related to creative writing, as all of that coursework was nearly 20 years ago.

I was considering enrolling in the post-bac writing certificate offered by Berkeley Extension online. The big draw back is that there are set course dates and I would not be able to start until after I finish at TESU and officially have my BA. That would mean having to wait for the next year's application cycle before I would have taken a class or two from someone that could write a recommendation.

The option I am currently leaning towards is to take some of the online creative writing courses through Stanford's Continuing Studies. They only require a high school diploma or equivalent to enroll, so I could get started before my BA is official.

Anyone know of any other online creative writing courses/programs that could help me get an academic recommendation?

I don't know if this would help you or not, but my capstone mentor gave me a letter of recommendation for grad school. Since you're interested in creative writing, I imagine your capstone topic might be one of that nature. It was the guided study option, but I was still able to get the letter of recommendation with ease. It made sense given that my capstone topic was something that I wanted to study further in grad school. I mentioned that fact in a conversation with the mentor and she offered a letter of recommendation before I even asked.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 184 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Recommendation for competency-based MBA dp2021 21 4,738 01-27-2022, 03:00 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Letters of Recommendation npk32 11 2,695 06-06-2019, 12:11 PM
Last Post: sanantone