Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Liberal Arts Program
Hey all. I’m hopefully enrolling soon. My question has anyone been successful in transferring all 113 credits for the B.S Liberal Arts degree? I’m looking at bringing in Sophia credits mostly. Does anyone have experience in courses not officially listed on the Sophia Transfer chart from excelsior? These can be LL. Are the Lawshelf platform courses particularly difficult? I’m potentially needing 1-2 of those courses. Oh I also have a 200ish Fiction course from a brick & motor that can possibly used from an UL (it has elsewhere). Also, does Excelsior routinely give credits for an UL course completed elsewhere that was 6cc. 

My second inquiry is that has anyone taken the cornerstone, capstone, and information literacy courses at Excelsior? Are these difficult per se? That is to say is it pretty easy to make a C in these classes w/out over excursion.
@Avidbus, You really need to decide for yourself if taking Excelsior or UMPI would be a better fit for your learning style. It's great to ask questions, but without much info to gauge how well you did with your previous studies, it's going to be difficult to advise or assist you in deciding. I would take some time deciding, reviewing posts...

The choice is really up to you, some say the capstone alone at Excelsior is more work than the entire 30 credits at UMPI, thus, by adding the Info Lit and Cornerstone in a previous term, you'll be taking the harder and longer route, not to mention, it'll be at about 4K when you complete the classes at Excelsior vs 3K for 2 sessions at UMPI.

Your UMPI thread from roughly a year ago: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ssion-Info
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-29-2024, 04:23 PM)Avidbus Wrote: Hey all. I’m hopefully enrolling soon. My question has anyone been successful in transferring all 113 credits for the B.S Liberal Arts degree? I’m looking at bringing in Sophia credits mostly. Does anyone have experience in courses not officially listed on the Sophia Transfer chart from excelsior? These can be LL. Are the Lawshelf platform courses particularly difficult? I’m potentially needing 1-2 of those courses. Oh I also have a 200ish Fiction course from a brick & motor that can possibly used from an UL (it has elsewhere). Also, does Excelsior routinely give credits for an UL course completed elsewhere that was 6cc. 

My second inquiry is that has anyone taken the cornerstone, capstone, and information literacy courses at Excelsior? Are these difficult per se? That is to say is it pretty easy to make a C in these classes w/out over excursion.

I concur with BJCheung. UMPI may be a better fit for you. I am currently enrolled in a bachelor program at Excelsior, and I completed my Associate degree through them in 2019. The information literacy course is pretty easy. However, the Cornerstone B course is unnecessarily extensive. You will spend the entire course building a final report. It's pretty monotonous.
Degrees: Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Excelsior University (In Progress)
                Associate of Science in Liberal Arts - Excelsior University (2017-2019)

Credits: 72 Credits - Sophia Learning
               Psychology 315 and Marketing 308 - Study.Com (In Progress)

Certifications: Lean Six Sigma - Black Belt, Scrum Master, Executive Coach, Certified Ethics    Associate, Executive Management Certified
I sampled Umpi.. Make no mistake it’s generally the better deal, and I just might return to them better/focused and choose that option.

figured taking 2 classes via Excelsior as opposed to the 10 at Umpi was nice. I don’t mind doing the work as long as it’s not difficult in nature. One can lose efficiency when and if they become lazy/lose motivation in a self-paced competency based setting, something I’m concerned about.

Hopefully I’m able to transfer the max of 113 credits if I choose excelsior. My background is stints at brick and motor, AP, and more recently the online learning experience.

As far as financials, I’ll be using FA. I believe you’re right, it’s around 400 and sme change per credit at excelsior, using their Sophia partnership discount. For 7 credits, it’s not too bad. I’ve been muti-tasking work and school and not fulfilling the $1500 adequately per sem would be a deal breaker tho.

I really want to get done with the bachelors portion of my life. It can really be a motivating factor when at the table, especially for me as I’m prob transferring back into the corporate world, for the time being.

A bonus may be is (for what it’s worth) the excelsior degree is a b.s vs umpi and others bls or ba degrees. I guess it’s just my preference.

Either way, wish me luck.

Just thought I’d inquire with people whom have actual experience with excelsior first, to get my feet wet of sorts.

I’ll post my degree audit here for yall’ to take a look at and review when I have some more free time.

Thanks!!
Ding ding, that's the thing with competency based programs, you actually are trying to finish before the next session and therefore, sometimes rushing things. It really depends on the student and their commitments, study habits, time management, etc, as long as you get to the goal of completing the degree, that's all that matters... I think if you take the 30 credits at UMPI, you can hack it so if you ever wanted to do a Masters, you can do the UMPI MAOL by taking 3-4 classes that can transfer from the BA to MA. Excelsior doesn't have that option, you'll have to go a different route...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I didn't get 113 transferred, but I got 95. I had a few classes rejected because they were lower-level, and I had already met my lower-level requirements. As for Sophia, you'll need to make sure you get your upper-level credits if you want all 113 transfer credits. I'm not sure that many Sophia courses are upper-level. I'm currently taking my upper-level courses from study.com using the approved courses.

I'm attaching my evaluation if that helps. I did a few Sophia courses, but most of my courses were from brick-and-mortar colleges, with the majority coming from my Associate's Degree.

.pdf   Transfer Eval.pdf (Size: 636.75 KB / Downloads: 48)
(03-29-2024, 04:23 PM)Avidbus Wrote: Hey all. I’m hopefully enrolling soon. My question has anyone been successful in transferring all 113 credits for the B.S Liberal Arts degree? I’m looking at bringing in Sophia credits mostly. Does anyone have experience in courses not officially listed on the Sophia Transfer chart from excelsior? These can be LL. Are the Lawshelf platform courses particularly difficult? I’m potentially needing 1-2 of those courses. Oh I also have a 200ish Fiction course from a brick & motor that can possibly used from an UL (it has elsewhere). Also, does Excelsior routinely give credits for an UL course completed elsewhere that was 6cc. 

I successfully transferred 113 credits to Excelsior. I used Sophia, Study, and CLEP. Typically, Excelsior only accepts credits on their transfer page. They did not take any Sophia courses as upper level for me. If you align upper level Study courses with the Excelsior transfer chart, you can get all UL except the required credits at Excelsior there.

I took the capstone and info literacy course and thought they were decent, the capstone has me struggling more. I had all A's before I started and I will probably be lucky to leave the capstone with a B. If your goal is to make a C, it is most likely possible.
Working on: B.S. in Liberal Arts at Excelsior University

#SophiaAmbassador

Also- MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL 113 CREDITS BEFORE ENROLLING!

Excelsior charges enrolled students a $300 fee to send transcripts in. It has definitely thrown a wrench in my plan to save money so be sure that you have everything before you apply!
Working on: B.S. in Liberal Arts at Excelsior University

#SophiaAmbassador

[-] The following 3 users Like browniebo's post:
  • LevelUP, rachel83az, RachelB

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Done with Liberal Arts Degree! TwinMom 7 834 05-05-2024, 06:56 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  What are Arts & Science Electives EHC2110 4 1,296 11-10-2023, 12:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,936 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Need to know what UL credits will work for Liberal Arts degree AnyName 20 3,759 06-25-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Arts, Sciences and Applied Prof Electives quetions CM1999 3 617 03-30-2023, 12:00 PM
Last Post: CM1999
  Excelsior Ending UExcel Program - reg by 6/30, test by 8/21 jkoby 2 1,252 06-08-2022, 04:41 PM
Last Post: jkoby
Question Arts & Science vs Arts & Science & Applied Professional at Excelsior alsimko 11 3,448 08-04-2021, 05:48 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  Bachelor of Liberal Studies and the Area of Focus Holmes 8 2,291 01-09-2021, 01:44 PM
Last Post: dhillbilly
  Excelsior BS Liberal Arts degree question staxchips1 8 3,465 12-16-2020, 09:18 PM
Last Post: BSBRose21
  Associates Liberal Arts through JST/CLEP/Sophia AUDACITY4U 8 2,184 10-21-2020, 11:48 AM
Last Post: dfrecore