Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln College (157 year old college) bites the dust...
Along with a sample list of institutions, this article shows a timeline up to 2019...  I am expecting to see more of this in the coming months or years.  Consolidation of the education sector (for profits buying out their competition) and acquisitions, closings, mergers, etc...

Link: How many colleges and universities have closed since 2016? | Higher Ed Dive
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
That's really too bad. It has an amazing history. When it opened in 1866 it allowed women to enroll which at the time was rare. It was the only college named after President Lincoln while he was alive and he knew about it which is pretty wild. There's even a museum filled with President Lincoln artifacts at the school.

Sounds like a combo of Covid and a cyber attack ruined the school sadly. They had record breaking enrollment the year before Covid. Survived The Great Depression only to be ruined by a cyber attack.

https://lincolncollege.edu/

They had financial trouble but were rebuilding and brought in grad programs. They are working with 52 colleges to have a place for the students to transition to.

https://www.wglt.org/local-news/2022-04-...-on-may-13

It was also the nation's first HBCU and was just named one of the top ranking ones.

https://www.lincoln.edu/news-and-events/...utive-year

It was always a small school with under a thousand students. Unfortunately I think we're going to see MANY small schools close in the next few years. There are a few in my area that are in serious financial trouble. They were struggling before Covid and Covid just caused their problems to explode.
Here's another link:
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2022...nois-close
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(04-14-2022, 02:44 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Here's another link:
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2022...nois-close
This really bums me out. This school has such a cool history, as does the town. My family is from Lincoln. It’s a nice little campus in the older part of town. Quiet with big trees. I’m going to try to visit the museum before they close. I wonder if they’ll keep the museum separate or move the items to Springfield or something. I’m sad to hear about this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Goldilocks!'s post:
  • ss20ts
Being on here always made me wonder, if a school is struggling wouldn't it help them to lean into what is done on this forum instead of away from it? Yes you won't get money for 90 credits or so that some of the schools allow you to bring in but you would get the money from whatever courses that are needed from the school. Money that you likely wouldn't have gotten otherwise.
TESU BA Liberal Studies /Communications 

I think there's some new information here
A US college is shutting down for good following a ransomware attack | Engadget
(05-09-2022, 08:47 PM)Alpha Wrote: I think there's some new information here
A US college is shutting down for good following a ransomware attack | Engadget

Yup I mentioned the cyber attack when this thread was created. It really caused them to have massive financial problems unfortunately. Makes me wonder how many other schools have been impacted by these stupid attacks and how many will be in the future.
This was discussed on the other forum today. Someone pretty savvy there was wondering where the college's IT people were, when this ransomware attack happened. As he sees it (and I agree) the school's networks may have been improperly configured, if an attack like this could get into several systems simultaneously and steal info from each.

The ounce of prevention may have been missing, possibly. This attack seems to be one of the bigger nails in the coffin. Cybercrime - A sad ending indeed, after 150+ years.
There have actually been quite a few ransonware attacks on colleges. They're not alone either. Hospitals and local school districts are also being impacted.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/09/us/lincol...index.html
(05-10-2022, 12:09 AM)Johann Wrote: This was discussed on the other forum today. Someone pretty savvy there was wondering where the college's IT people were, when this ransomware attack happened. As he sees it (and I agree) the school's networks may have been improperly configured, if an attack like this could get into several systems simultaneously and steal info from each.

The ounce of prevention may have been missing, possibly. This attack seems to be one of the bigger nails in the coffin. Cybercrime - A sad ending indeed, after 150+ years.

unfortunately, this is pretty much the norm.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,181 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,534 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,926 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 230 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 497 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 389 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 842 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 729 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 205 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 245 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP