Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Local CC Police Academy Credits - Syllabus Requested
So I am trying to help a few friends complete their degrees and after submitting the CC transcripts showing their completed Police Academy training in California, TESU requested a copy of the course catalog. It was a challenge, but I was able to find their 2000 (basic) and 2009 (advanced office training) catalogs. Submitted them to TESU who followed up with a request for the actual class syllabus!!  Has anyone experienced this? The California Peace Officers Standardized Training organization has a list of requirements and learning modules required per California Police academy but they will not accept anything not received directly from the CC and finding a 20 year old syllabus is not going to be easy.
(04-11-2019, 09:20 AM)fingerscrossedx2 Wrote: So I am trying to help a few friends complete their degrees and after submitting the CC transcripts showing their completed Police Academy training in California, TESU requested a copy of the course catalog. It was a challenge, but I was able to find their 2000 (basic) and 2009 (advanced office training) catalogs. Submitted them to TESU who followed up with a request for the actual class syllabus!!  Has anyone experienced this? The California Peace Officers Standardized Training organization has a list of requirements and learning modules required per California Police academy but they will not accept anything not received directly from the CC and finding a 20 year old syllabus is not going to be easy.

I had to find a syllabus from 2005 or 2006 because a college requested it. I ended up contacting the original school. This was a non-traditional school with a standardized syllabus for each course. CCs will be harder since professors and instructors are allowed to put together their own syllabi. 

At some colleges, the academy consists of actual college courses that automatically result in credits on a transcript. At other colleges, the CC might give you advanced standing or credits if you choose to pursue an associate's degree or certificate. In the latter case, TESU needs to evaluate the academy for college credit since it didn't consist of actual college courses.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I'd start by contacting the school again. They may have the old syllabi (syllabuses?) on file somewhere. I would also try to contact the current instructor of the course to see if you get lucky and they've either been teaching it all this time or have the previous syllabus you need.

Edit: An out of the box idea: Contact either the local police dept or find some of the officers on social media. Somebody might just have the old syllabus tucked away in their attic or something.

Edit 2: Take an honest look at how big a hole this one course puts in their degree plan. It may be easier to simply take some random course to fill in the missing units. Some people never get started because they get so hung up on using old credit.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • fingerscrossedx2, sanantone
I had to send a syllabus from 2004 for one of my previous courses in order to receive the credit.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
Sooooo... here's my plan of attack:

1. I contacted the CC and reached out to the Criminal Justice Department coordinator with the hopes of finding some old files as the original instructors are long gone. Fingers crossed this will work. Maybe a letter from their leadership at the CC will help in some way noting the California requirements for their training program (retro to 2000). 

2. I am helping devise a plan that is as suggested, ignores the "old" credits and fills them in with easy to earn new credits from TEEXs. The CC awarded 24 units for the basic academy so missing out on those is equivalent to about 8 classes (ouch). 

3. Reaching out to other officers never crossed my mind and it might just turn up something. There are a few LE focused blogs/boards and posting there seems like a small task given the potentially big reward. 

4. Last push might be to PLA the law enforcement experience and see how many credits can be earned via this method. 

I truly appreciate the guidance from everyone here. Too bad, California POST does not have ACE equivalents for their required trainings.
May I ask why your friends aren't contact their schools?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(04-11-2019, 02:50 PM)sanantone Wrote: May I ask why your friends aren't contact their schools?
It's Santa Ana College. They originally called the registrar and was told they were unable to provide a syllabus. I'm just trying to help out.
(04-11-2019, 09:20 AM)fingerscrossedx2 Wrote: So I am trying to help a few friends complete their degrees and after submitting the CC transcripts showing their completed Police Academy training in California, TESU requested a copy of the course catalog. It was a challenge, but I was able to find their 2000 (basic) and 2009 (advanced office training) catalogs. Submitted them to TESU who followed up with a request for the actual class syllabus!!  Has anyone experienced this? The California Peace Officers Standardized Training organization has a list of requirements and learning modules required per California Police academy but they will not accept anything not received directly from the CC and finding a 20 year old syllabus is not going to be easy.

The community college's Registrar office will have an old syllabus on file unless it wasn't for college credit. I'm not certain about California, but I was under the impression that it's the state law in most states - maybe there is a time factor with it being 20 years ago? (EDIT- catalogs are saved, not the actual syllabus, sorry)
I think it might even be worth trying to escalate this at TESU. They certainly know this too- do THEY have a course syllabus from over 20 years ago?
A couple of years ago, I appealed where TESU placed one of my courses, as I said it should count for the Am Govt requirement, and they had it as a GE. They wanted the syllabus. I was worried because the course was from my old 4yr state university, and I took the course in 1989, and I thought surely they wouldn't still have it. When I called the department directly, they were able to email the syllabus in like 2 minutes. Apparently they have every single one on file going back MANY years. They didn't even act like it was a big deal to go get it. It was not an unusual request at all.

Now, it WAS a college course, so maybe the rules are different. But I was under the impression they had to keep all syllabi forever.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 177 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Organizational Leadership Cert SDC transfer credits Kones 5 462 02-10-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 488 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
  Emailing TESU about planning external credits into academic evaluation aperantosbias 9 606 12-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Less Than 15 Credits Left for TESU Flat Rate Term mariobros1985 7 779 11-22-2023, 09:38 PM
  TESU AS in electronics. Transfer credits options? shows55 2 429 11-12-2023, 11:40 AM
Question Local proctoring experiences/tips? jch 17 2,174 10-30-2023, 09:27 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Competency based certifications for Electronics and Nuclear credits? sciencemathematics1 5 482 09-23-2023, 12:31 PM
  RA Credits from a Community College? mulhearnmusic 2 309 09-16-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: mulhearnmusic
  Is there a grade requirement to transfer credits? kowenboy 2 342 09-12-2023, 11:43 AM
Last Post: dfrecore