Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for some advice before applying to TESC/TESU
Archer Wrote:Received my transfer evaluation, does anybody know how willing the school is to forgive .33 credit discrepancies? Sanantone, you said they waived some credits for you correct?

ENC 101, 102 and Information Literacy are all .33 credits short. I think I'd need to speak to an advisor to see if they'd let them slide for sure but I need to enroll before I can speak to them. Worst case, if I do need to find sources of credit for those .33 gaps, I guess I'll look at Straighterline.

Thanks everyone.

I was given an exemption for the .33 credits I needed for English 102, however they made it clear I needed the .33 credits made up somewhere. It could be in another area however. With that said i'm not sure how forgiving they will be on three classes. It's worth a phone call to find out.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
mednat Wrote:I was given an exemption for the .33 credits I needed for English 102, however they made it clear I needed the .33 credits made up somewhere. It could be in another area however. With that said i'm not sure how forgiving they will be on three classes. It's worth a phone call to find out.

:iagree: I had a similar situation with one course (Managerial Communication), where the school accepted 2 credits for a Managerial course I took in the military. They "waived" the 3rd credit, but I needed to still get the credit somewhere else (free electives, or whatever). I remember on my eval (I don't have access to it anymore) it stated something like "waived..meets requirement", or something to that affect. Does your eval state something similar? If not, its in your interest to at least ask and see if you can fill the 3 credits with an elective somewhere else. It seems silly for the school to have you acquire .33 credits in English. Just accept it and have you fill it somewhere else.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
This is my thinking, those 3 x .33 credits are basically one credit. I'm hoping they'll just waive it and use one of my electives classes (since I have too many).
cookderosa Wrote:I'd like more information about your high school diploma. You said you don't have one "because" you were homeschooled, can you elaborate for me? I might be able to help you with that.

I wanted to follow up that homeschooling is legal in all 50 states, so as long as your parents were properly registered (if required) and have a transcript, they can issue your diploma. If they have not issued a diploma, you might want to ask them about it. If you need legal help, Homeschooling Legal Defense Association is a great resource. No homeschool graduate should EVER not have a high school diploma. Let me know if I can be more help.
What constitutes a transcript? I didn't keep particular track of when I studied subjects or for how long. I also spent a disproportionate amount of time studying things of personal interest (music, automobile mechanics, computers, etc.). In Oregon we just had to pass these state tests that were equivalent to whatever grade level I was in the required subjects, you had to pass them every 2 years. If you flunked one year, then you had to take one the next year for that grade level. If you flunked that you had to return back to public schooling. In High School I was hybrid (which is allowed) because I wanted to take some courses at HS, I took Japanese 1-5 at my HS (two years of second language is required at Oregon colleges).

Either way, useful information. I never bothered to look into this that much because the colleges in-state didn't care, I already had a great job in television. I will say I was somewhat concerned when I started looking for others jobs, still ended up with the IT job though. Basically it wasn't a concern until this year with the job + TESC's requirements (which they seemed to waive due to the CC credits).
Archer Wrote:What constitutes a transcript? I didn't keep particular track of when I studied subjects or for how long. I also spent a disproportionate amount of time studying things of personal interest (music, automobile mechanics, computers, etc.). In Oregon we just had to pass these state tests that were equivalent to whatever grade level I was in the required subjects, you had to pass them every 2 years. If you flunked one year, then you had to take one the next year for that grade level. If you flunked that you had to return back to public schooling. In High School I was hybrid (which is allowed) because I wanted to take some courses at HS, I took Japanese 1-5 at my HS (two years of second language is required at Oregon colleges).

Either way, useful information. I never bothered to look into this that much because the colleges in-state didn't care, I already had a great job in television. I will say I was somewhat concerned when I started looking for others jobs, still ended up with the IT job though. Basically it wasn't a concern until this year with the job + TESC's requirements (which they seemed to waive due to the CC credits).

Education is regulated by the state, so I can't say what is required for your transcript or registration. It's never the student's responsibility to keep track, it's the parent's responsibility. They are the administrator of record.
Quote:--------------------
S.H. S.H. Applied S.H. Comm Coll S.H to Overall TESC
Required to Degree Req Remaining S.H. Applied be Planned GPA Met GPA
120.00 56.70 63.30 56.70 57.30 YES
===============

BA General Education (60 SH)
Semester Hours Completed: 34.02
Complete all 5 subrequirements:
A: Intellectual Skills (In Progress)
> INTELLECTUAL AND PRACTICAL SKILLS (15)
> Complete 15 semester hours (SH) to include:
> *Written Communication (ENC-101 and ENC-102 w/grade of C or

-----------------------------------------
> better), 6SH
> *Oral Communication, 3SH
> *Quantitative Literacy (College-Level Math), 3SH
> *Information Literacy, 3SH

Semester Hours Completed: 11.34
ENC-101 (Completed)
!! Exception
req met

Src Course # Title S.H. Grd TESC # Notes
1.. WR English Composition...... 2.67 A ENC-101 *CC *TE
ENC-102 (Completed)
!! Exception
req met

1.. WR Comp Style & Argument.... 2.67 A ENC-102 *CC *TE
Oral Communication (Not Started)
_____________________________________________ 3 credits
Quantitative Literacy (Completed)
1.. MTH College Algebra.......... 3.33 B MAT-121 *CC *TE
Information Literacy (In Progress)
1.. WR Technical Writing........ 2.67 A- ENG-201 *CC *TE
____________________________________________ 0.33 credits

B: Civic Learning (Not Started)
> CIVIC AND GLOBAL LEARNING (9)
> Complete 9 semester hours (SH) to include:
> *Diversity, 3SH
> *Ethics, 3SH
> *Civic Engagement, 3SH
Semester Hours Completed: 0.00
Diversity (Not Started)
______________________________________________ 3 credits
Ethics (Not Started)
Civic Engagement (Not Started)

C: Human Cultures (Completed)
> KNOWLEDGE OF HUMAN CULTURES (12)
> Complete 12 semester hours (SH) in Humanities and/or
> Social Sciences.
Semester Hours Completed: 12.01
1.. ANTH Archaeology.............. 2.67 A ARC-101 *CC *TE
1.. FA Understand Movies America 2.00 A FIL-110 *CC *TE
1.. ART Survey of Western Art.... 2.00 A- ART-166 *CC *TE
1.. HST Hist W Civ............... 2.67 A HIS-105 *CC *TE
1.. HST History Western Civilizat 2.67 B+ HIS-103 *CC *TE

D: Natural World (Not Started)
> UNDERSTANDING THE PHYSICAL AND NATURAL WORLD (4)
> Complete 4 semester hours in the Natural Sciences.
> Mathematics courses cannot be used to satisfy this
> requirement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
____________________________________________________ 3 credits
____________________________________________________ 1 credits

E: GE Electives (In Progress)
> GENERAL EDUCATION ELECTIVES (20)
> Complete 20 semester hours (SH).
!! Exception
over 2.34 sh ipsl, over .01 sh hc, over 2 sh nat world
take 15.65 sh

Semester Hours Completed: 10.67 Required: 15.65 Remaining: 4.98
1.. MTH Trigonometry............. 2.67 B MAT-127 *CC *TE
1.. MUS Intro to Jazz History.... 2.00 B+ MUS-208 *CC *TE
1.. ART American Art............. 2.00 B+ ART-299 *CC *TE
1.. HST History of American West. 2.00 A HIS-299 *CC *TE
1.. ART History of Asian Art Chin 2.00 B- ART-299 *CC *TE
__________________________________________ 3 credits
_________________________________________________________ 1.98 credits
======================
Area of Study (36SH: 15SH must be upper level)
Semester Hours Completed: 26.01
Complete all 5 subrequirements:
A: Introduction (Completed)
> Complete one Introduction to Computer Science course (3SH).
!! Exception
req met

1.. CS Computer Science 2....... 2.67 A COS-103 *CC *TE

B: Data Structures (Completed)
> Complete one Data Structures course (3SH).
!! Exception
req met

1.. CS Data Structures 1........ 2.67 A COS-241 *CC *TE

C: Discrete/Linear (Completed)
> Complete ONE of the following math courses:
> *Discrete Math, 3SH
> *Linear Algebra (Calculus Based), 3SH
> *Discrete Structures, 3SH
!! Exception
req met

1.. MTH Discrete Mathematics 1... 2.67 C+ MAT-270 *CC *TE

D: Calculus (Completed)
> Complete Calculus I and II for a total of 6 semester hours
> (SH).
Semester Hours Completed: 6.66
Group 1 (Completed)
Semester Hours Completed: 6.66

---------------------------------------------------------------------
1.. MTH Calculus 2 Integral Calcu 3.33 B- MAT-232 *CC *TE
1.. MTH Calculus 1 Differential C 3.33 B- MAT-231 *CC *TE

E: Electives (In Progress)
> Complete 21 semester hours (SH) of Computer Science courses
> as electives.
> **At least 15 of the 30 credits required within the entire
> Area of Study must be at the 300/400 level.**
Semester Hours Completed: 11.34
Group 1 (In Progress)
2.. CIS-320... System Analysis & Design (3.00) ___ *IP
______________________________________________________ 3 credits
_______________________________________________ 3 credits
___________________________________________________ 3 credits

Group 2 (In Progress)
!! Exception
shortages in required areas
take 9.33 sh

Semester Hours Completed: 8.34 Required: 9.33 Remaining: 0.99
1.. CS Int C++ Prog for Games... 2.67 B+ COS-299 *CC *TE
1.. CS Beg C ++ Prog for Games.. 2.67 A COS-213 *CC *TE
2.. COS-231... Assembly Language........ (3.00) ___ *IP
_______________________________________________ 0.99 credits
=========================================================
Liberal Arts Capstone (3 SH)
> Complete course LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone for 3
> semester hours (SH). A grade of C or better is required in
> this course as well as within all courses that make up the
> Area of Study.
___ LIB-495___ _________________________________ 1 course needed
==========================================================
Electives (21SH)
> Complete 21 semester hours (SH) of college level coursework
> as Electives.
!! Exception
over 1.02 sh gen ed, over 2.01 sh aos
take 17.97 sh

1.. CS SW Tools 1 Game Developme 2.67 B- CIS-199 *CC *TE
________________________________________ 3 credits
________________________________________________ 3 credits
_____________________________________________ 3 credits
_________________________________ 3 credits
_________________________________________ 3 credits
___________________________________________ 0.3 credits

This is what the BACS looks like, rather appealing. I spoke to an academic adviser and they seem rather willing to work with the .33 discrepancies and let me make up the work elsewhere or let me take more courses in those specific areas, then apply the excess credits to elective requirements in the case of general ed requirements. I'm pretty certain I'll be doing CS now, I'm currently in Systems Analysis and Assembly Programming and I'm still waiting until I finish the ANSM in Computer Science before my final decision but this is pretty good... Not looking forward to that capstone though.

I'm thinking for my electives I will mostly take business courses at straighterline, some options below:

Financial Accounting 3 SL Acct. 1
Managerial Accounting 3 SL Acct. 2
Business Law 3 SL
Princ. Of Management 3 SL
Business Communications 3 SL Bus. Comm.
Business in Society or International Management 3 SL
Macroeconomics 3 SL
Microeconomics 3 SL
Statistics 3 SL

That works right? With the electives I can shove anything in there based on what I've read. Right now I'm working on Business Ethics/American Government at SL to meet gen ed requirements at TESC. Seems like an OK set-up.
Also I've been accepted into that web dev program Sanantone, I think all those courses could be used to transfer in and apply to the electives requirement, right? Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Appealing cert. if so.
cookderosa Wrote:I wanted to follow up that homeschooling is legal in all 50 states, so as long as your parents were properly registered (if required) and have a transcript, they can issue your diploma. If they have not issued a diploma, you might want to ask them about it. If you need legal help, Homeschooling Legal Defense Association is a great resource. No homeschool graduate should EVER not have a high school diploma. Let me know if I can be more help.

Jennifer,

Can I pick your brain on this one?

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Archer Wrote:I'm thinking for my electives I will mostly take business courses at straighterline, some options below:

Financial Accounting 3 SL Acct. 1
Managerial Accounting 3 SL Acct. 2
Business Law 3 SL
Princ. Of Management 3 SL
Business Communications 3 SL Bus. Comm.
Business in Society or International Management 3 SL
Macroeconomics 3 SL
Microeconomics 3 SL
Statistics 3 SL

That works right? With the electives I can shove anything in there based on what I've read. Right now I'm working on Business Ethics/American Government at SL to meet gen ed requirements at TESC. Seems like an OK set-up.

Try to fill these with as many free or cheap electives first before pursuing SL or other sources. Free and virtually free, TEEX, KAPLAN PLA and ALEKs MATH. I think you can get up to 15 credits with those three for about $40 total including the ACE transcript. There's also a recent thread about a free business ethics course worth 2 credits.

PrLoko-isms

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,013 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,679 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,137 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,671 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,747 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,366 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,611 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,340 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,398 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,875 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore