Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking to get a degree from TESU. BSBA in Entrepreneurship.
So, I actually looked into this almost one year ago. Back then I was desperate. I was torn between this route or pursuing a degree traditionally. Since then I've actually got into a better situation financially and now I am registered at my local community college about to start. Just needing to pick my classes. However, I work a lot. Furthermore, even though I am doing a little better financially I cannot afford these classes with their books etc... and right now I can't afford to wait 4 years for a degree. 

Honestly, I feel like I just need to pick a route and start moving.

But I need help. I think the hardest part for me has been just getting started. I need to lay out a step by step plan and go for it!!

http://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/Entrepreneurship.cfm

I know this is the degree I want to pursue, what next??? How do I go about this. What resources do I need to put together a plan. BTW i'm starting clean, I have some credits from a community college from years ago, micro economics and calc 1 I believe, but barely passed. I was not focused then. I think its best to start fresh. 

Also I have some questions:
  • Is it true TESU only allows credits to be transferred during the enrollment process? Does this mean I must complete as many credits as possible before enrolling?? What happens if the degree plan changes!? How are completed credits kept track of for when I transfer them over?? It seems like there are so many ways to acquire credits. It's very overwhelming. 
  • Credits come from many different sources, what tools are available that will help me find the cheapest/easiest courses to complete for each said credit?
  • I downloaded a spreadsheet from this forum a while back. I think that will come in handy now. Where did it go?? It was one to help keep track of credits/cost/etc.
  • How good is straightliner?? $99/m unlimited courses? Free ebooks? I realize these are courses, how long are they usually and how difficult?
If anyone wants to partner up in this, maybe have a similar degree or even just start out I'd love to start like a group I would be down. I think that will help keep me on track.
No, TESU (and EC and COSC) will all allow you to transfer in credits any time.  Only WGU does not allow transfer after enrollment.

You need to learn about the different methods of getting credit.  The cheapest are the free ones (there are about 11cr that are free), and then ALEKS math (go take them quick before they expire on 8/31) and then Saylor.  After that, most courses through SL or Study.com average about $100 each - but if you take more courses in a month, you can cut that down.  SL also has coupons available almost always.  Study.com has the Guardian scholarship, for 6 free courses.

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU BSBA Entrepren.xlsx (Size: 34.19 KB / Downloads: 53)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • David.Hamad
(08-10-2017, 08:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote: No, TESU (and EC and COSC) will all allow you to transfer in credits any time.  Only WGU does not allow transfer after enrollment.

You need to learn about the different methods of getting credit.  The cheapest are the free ones (there are about 11cr that are free), and then ALEKS math (go take them quick before they expire on 8/31) and then Saylor.  After that, most courses through SL or Study.com average about $100 each - but if you take more courses in a month, you can cut that down.  SL also has coupons available almost always.  Study.com has the Guardian scholarship, for 6 free courses.
Thank you for the excel spreadsheet!! This is so much help. I'm going to start on the ALEKS math asap if this is the case.
Another question. Do I have to enroll in TESU before taking any of these courses/exams?? Is the better strategy to get as many of these credits as I can transfer before enrolling? Like only enroll when I need my last few credits?
For TESU most people reccomend that you enroll as soon as you know you want to stay with them...you only need to attempt one TECEP a year to stay enrolled, and I think most of us agree that it's better to enroll and get locked into the degree plan you want, because we've found that changes that are made typically aren't in favor of saving time/money. And stuff changes fast, and without warning, so yeah, if you like the degree plan you see now, maybe lock that in.

Doesn't matter if you're enrolled with TESU when you take your courses/exams elsewhere, but again, if you're locked into a TESU degree plan, you'll know that they will for sure transfer in, whereas if you complete them without a degree plan, you're only mostly sure they will transfer in.
My journey to TESU BSBA-GM
The Institutes (2cr): Business Ethics
Liberty University (27cr): INFT, International Business, Apologetics, Microeconomics, Biology, Non-Profit Management, Financial Acct., Computer Apps, Managerial Acct.
Liberty University MOOC (3cr): US Hist
Study.com (39cr): American Government, Environmental Science, Sociology, Psychology, Labor Relations, Marketing with Electronic Media, Principles of Finance, Business Communications, HR Management, Civil War/Reconstruction, History of Vietnam War, Personal Finance, Introduction to Marketing
Straighterline (39cr): Western Civ II, Financial Accounting, Cultural Anthropology, AmHist I, AmHist II, Intro to Religion, Business Statistics, Principles of Management, English II, Business Law, Intro to Comm, Org. Behavior, Macroeconomics
ALEKS (3cr): College Algebra
TEEX (2cr): Cyber Security for Business Professionals
TESU (3cr): Strategic Management TECEP
UExcel (3cr): English 101
I see. That makes sense. I wouldn't want to get half way through it and have the requirements change, etc. 

But how often would I be paying tuition?? Also, do you know if I can apply for financial aid going this route?
(08-12-2017, 05:46 PM)David.Hamad Wrote: But how often would I be paying tuition?? Also, do you know if I can apply for financial aid going this route?

TESU does not have a per-term tuition, so after your initial payment for application ($75) it's free to stay on board. The only cost is a TECEP once a year.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-12-2017, 05:46 PM)David.Hamad Wrote: I see. That makes sense. I wouldn't want to get half way through it and have the requirements change, etc. 

But how often would I be paying tuition?? Also, do you know if I can apply for financial aid going this route?
Once a year, you would pay for a $114 TECEP exam to maintain enrollment. TESU is an expensive place to take courses, so people who want to use financial aid often do so at a community college, then take the leftover aid and pay for alternative credits.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(08-12-2017, 05:56 PM)davewill Wrote:
(08-12-2017, 05:46 PM)David.Hamad Wrote: I see. That makes sense. I wouldn't want to get half way through it and have the requirements change, etc. 

Once a year, you would pay for a $114 TECEP exam to maintain enrollment. TESU is an expensive place to take courses, so people who want to use financial aid often do so at a community college, then take the leftover aid and pay for alternative credits.

I see, that makes sense financially. This residency waiver fee is expensive too. At $1,800.
(08-12-2017, 06:19 PM)David.Hamad Wrote: I see, that makes sense financially. This residency waiver fee is expensive too. At $1,800.

The Residency Waiver fee is only paid once, when you get ready to graduate.
(08-12-2017, 06:46 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(08-12-2017, 06:19 PM)David.Hamad Wrote: I see, that makes sense financially. This residency waiver fee is expensive too. At $1,800.

The Residency Waiver fee is only paid once, when you get ready to graduate.

Oh no way... that's a pretty good deal.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,923 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,153 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,020 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,580 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,282 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,318 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic