Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Losing focus - scattered and procrastinating. HELP!!
Venting, apologizing in advance. 

I am lost in an ocean of chaos, frustration and despair. In an effort to get motivated again (and a sense of uncertainty) I decided to shoot my bucket of ACE credits over to TESU, hoping seeing all the new credits on my Evaluation will hype me up again. I am so scattered all over the place right now. In an endless cycle of researching for courses, signing up and abandoning them.

I find myself in an endless search for courses because I am unhappy with the ones I choose, so I keep procrastinating. I am currently somewhere in progress on 4, no 5 classes and am not interested, disciplined or motivated to complete them. Check out the madness below...I understand if you are amused. It is pretty ridiculous.

1-Sophia Statistics has me afraid, so I keep logging off. Signed up since it's free, but my ambition has faltered from fear. I won't get into all the time and resources I have wasted trying to face this fear. It's ridiculous

2-SL American Government is so textbook heavy and monotonous. I ordered the mp3s from Free Clep Prep which helps a little as a break from endless reading and can do other things while it plays. AND I bought the course on ICC as a back up, but I see it's going to be heavy reading, no matter what I do. No escape. 

3- Halfway through Personal Finance IC flashcards. Dropped them about a month ago for no good reason. But no more DSSTs now so I may go for the SL course on this. Will pray it isn't as awful as this American Government course. The syllabus sounds more interactive, so I am hopeful. Will pick it back up as a study resource. I found the subject interesting with useful information. The only thing that stopped me from registering is not hearing from SL customer service to beg for a reduction in price since I wasted my enrollment month and have been charged for the next one with nothing to show for it

4-Registered today for the TECEP Computer Concepts and Applications class and started studying for that today. I know, I know. I should've been taken this one when I took the DSST Computer exam, but thought they duplicated all this time. Silly me

5-ICC Spanish is my latest endeavor because I hadn't realized I get a free class with IC subscription, and currently has most of my attention. Flunked my 1st Quiz and I thought I knew the material. Soooo, back on the hunt I went for more courses and research. At least I didn't go on Twitter. Where I waste way too much time...

Something is wrong with me!!!!!

I am afraid I won't finish anything because I am so all over the place. This trip has gone so long already. HELLLLPPP!!!!!  Cry Cry Cry
WGU MBA-Healthcare Management 9/2021
Started 6/2/2021. Finished 8/30/21

WGU MSN-Nursing Informatics 1/2021
Started 8/14/20. Finished 12/28/2020

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020
Started 6/1/20  Finished 7/24/2020
Transferred in Sophia Stats, ICC American Government, SDC Interpersonal Communications, AAS Nursing

Credits Taken
SDC - Interpersonal Communications, Presentation Skills in the Workplace, Intro to Operating Systems, Intro to Programming, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management - (100% modules, Incomplete Projects)
ICC - American Government
SL - Personal Finance 
TECEP - Medical Terminology
The Institutes - Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct 
TEEX - Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law/White Collar Crime
Sophia - Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict, Intro to IT, Intro to Statistics, Visual Communications, Human Biology, Project Management
CSM Learn- The CSM Course
DSST - Drugs and Society 436, Here's To Your Health 450, Computing and IT 461
AAS Nursing
Today. Right now. Get a timer. There are apps for that. Then
1. Set the timer for 15 minutes. Log on to Sophia and read your statistics PDF until the time goes off. STOP!!!!! It doesn’t matter if you’re in the middle of a concept, a note, anything. You MUST stop.
2. Set the time for 10 minutes. Go into the kitchen and get 8 ounces of water. Not tea. Not coffee. Not soda. Water. Stand up and drink it. After the alarm goes off, go back to your computer.
3. Set the timer for 15 minutes. Log on to StraighterLine and read your American Gvt. textbook until the time goes off. STOP!!!!! It doesn’t matter if you’re in the middle of a concept, a note, anything. You MUST stop.
4. Set the timer for 10 minutes. Go into the bathroom and go to the bathroom. Wash your hands. Brush your teeth.  After the alarm goes off, go back to your computer.
5. Set the timer for 15 minutes. If you have your Instacert account, go through your Personal Finance flashcards. It doesn’t matter if you’re in the middle of a concept, a note, anything. You MUST stop.
6. Look at your watch or cell phone for the time. Go outside and walk for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, no matter if it’s beautiful or raining, you MUST return home. Stop chatting with neighbors, petting animals, etc. Go home.
7. Set the timer for 15 minutes. Log on to ICC Spanish and read/practice until the time goes off. STOP!!!!! It doesn’t matter if you’re in the middle of a concept, a note, anything. You MUST stop.
8. Set the timer for 10 minutes. Go into the bathroom. Using elbow grease and the toilet bowl brush, scrub the toilet bowl. (Don’t forget under the rim.) After the alarm goes off, go back to your computer.
9. Set the timer for 15 minutes. Log on to the Compute Concepts course and read until the timer goes off. STOP!!!!! It doesn’t matter if you’re in the middle of a concept, a note, anything. You MUST stop.

You are now done for the day. Get away from the computer for at least two hours. You man NOT do any more studying today.
[-] The following 3 users Like LongRoad's post:
  • cwendy111, hsfamfun, Muldoon
Well, can you start by posting your transcript evaluation and tell us what degree you're trying to get?

Unless there's a price difference, do one course at a time. Then, go get a Study.com membership. I think they would be good for you because you're quizzed every five minutes or so.

If you want to finish, you have to do things one step at a time.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
[-] The following 1 user Likes udi's post:
  • cwendy111
(04-14-2020, 08:47 AM)udi Wrote: Well, can you start by posting your transcript evaluation and tell us what degree you're trying to get?

Unless there's a price difference, do one course at a time. Then, go get a Study.com membership. I think they would be good for you because you're quizzed every five minutes or so.

Sorry, I did that on another thread and had a path pretty much worked out. I am RN-BSN so have no options on my AOS.  I’m  filling out GE courses I need at this time, mostly electives

Requirements wise, I do still need a Statistics, Oral Communication, Civic engagement. Other wise just electives.

(04-14-2020, 06:55 AM)LongRoad Wrote: Today. Right now. Get a timer. There are apps for that. Then
1. Set the timer for 15 minutes. Log on to Sophia and read your statistics PDF until the time goes off. STOP!!!!! It doesn’t matter if you’re in the middle of a concept, a note, anything. You MUST stop.
2. Set the time for 10 minutes. Go into the kitchen and get 8 ounces of water. Not tea. Not coffee. Not soda. Water. Stand up and drink it. After the alarm goes off, go back to your computer.
3. Set the timer for 15 minutes. Log on to StraighterLine and read your American Gvt. textbook until the time goes off. STOP!!!!! It doesn’t matter if you’re in the middle of a concept, a note, anything. You MUST stop.
4. Set the timer for 10 minutes. Go into the bathroom and go to the bathroom. Wash your hands. Brush your teeth.  After the alarm goes off, go back to your computer.
5. Set the timer for 15 minutes. If you have your Instacert account, go through your Personal Finance flashcards. It doesn’t matter if you’re in the middle of a concept, a note, anything. You MUST stop.
6. Look at your watch or cell phone for the time. Go outside and walk for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, no matter if it’s beautiful or raining, you MUST return home. Stop chatting with neighbors, petting animals, etc. Go home.
7. Set the timer for 15 minutes. Log on to ICC Spanish and read/practice until the time goes off. STOP!!!!! It doesn’t matter if you’re in the middle of a concept, a note, anything. You MUST stop.
8. Set the timer for 10 minutes. Go into the bathroom. Using elbow grease and the toilet bowl brush, scrub the toilet bowl. (Don’t forget under the rim.) After the alarm goes off, go back to your computer.
9. Set the timer for 15 minutes. Log on to the Compute Concepts course and read until the timer goes off. STOP!!!!! It doesn’t matter if you’re in the middle of a concept, a note, anything. You MUST stop.

You are now done for the day. Get away from the computer for at least two hours. You man NOT do any more studying today.
Thank you for your well thought out response. I am more of a Cranmer. I just lost my way. I don’t want to be taking all these courses at once. I’ll never finish that way. I just can’t find a course that engages me. I do like the stop and breathe moments. Def not doing enough of that. My middle school son has to clean the toilets. Thanks for the suggestion, I have plenty of other chores to choose from though!

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020
Transferred in Sophia Stats, ICC American Government, SDC Interpersonal Communications, AAS Nursing

Credits Taken
SDC - Interpersonal Communications, Presentation Skills in the Workplace, Intro to Operating Systems, Intro to Programming, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management - (100% modules, Incomplete Projects)
SL - Personal Finance 
Sophia - Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict, Intro to IT, Intro to Statistics, Visual Communications, Human Biology, Project Management
AAS Nursing
(04-14-2020, 10:38 AM)cwendy111 Wrote:
(04-14-2020, 08:47 AM)udi Wrote: Well, can you start by posting your transcript evaluation and tell us what degree you're trying to get?

Sorry, I did that on another thread and had a path pretty much worked out. I am RN-BSN so have no options on my AOS.  I’m  filling out GE courses I need at this time, mostly electives

Requirements wise, I do still need a Statistics, Oral Communication, Civic engagement. Other wise just electives.

(04-14-2020, 06:55 AM)LongRoad Wrote: Today. Right now. Get a timer. There are apps for that. Then

Thank you for your well thought out response. I am more of a Cranmer. I just lost my way. I don’t want to be taking all these courses at once. I’ll never finish that way. I just can’t find a course that engages me. I do like the stop and breathe moments. Def not doing enough of that. My middle school son has to clean the toilets. Thanks for the suggestion, I have plenty of other chores to choose from though!

Ah, you're more the Dave Ramsey approach to courses. Okay. Take the "smallest" course. "Smallest" might be shortest course, it might be easiest course, it might be the one with the earliest cut off date. Focus only on that course. for one hour each day. Only give every other course 10 minutes. When you finish the smallest course, go to the next smallest course. You'll now spend 70 minutes on that course, and 10 minutes each on the other courses. Roll that one up. Begin...

You see where I'm going. When it comes to finance, I don't follow Dave Ramsey, but his snow ball practice might work for you. Once you see you've finished one course, the sense of accomplishment builds and helps you do the next one.

Finally, when you sit down to work on a course, say to yourself, "When I've finished (Spanish/Statistics/American Gvt/etc.), I'm finished with it for GOOD." That sometimes helps me. And, baby, can I procrastinate.
[-] The following 2 users Like LongRoad's post:
  • cwendy111, Muldoon
(04-14-2020, 12:15 PM)LongRoad Wrote:

Ah, you're more the Dave Ramsey approach to courses. Okay. Take the "smallest" course. "Smallest" might be shortest course, it might be easiest course, it might be the one with the earliest cut off date. Focus only on that course. for one hour each day. Only give every other course 10 minutes. When you finish the smallest course, go to the next smallest course. You'll now spend 70 minutes on that course, and 10 minutes each on the other courses. Roll that one up. Begin...

You see where I'm going. When it comes to finance, I don't follow Dave Ramsey, but his snow ball practice might work for you. Once you see you've finished one course, the sense of accomplishment builds and helps you do the next one.

Finally, when you sit down to work on a course, say to yourself, "When I've finished (Spanish/Statistics/American Gvt/etc.), I'm finished with it for GOOD." That sometimes helps me. And, baby, can I procrastinate.

Good news is that today I exchanged the American Gov't course for Personal Finance and have a grade of 92% post midterm. halfway done! 

Just the boost of confidence I was looking for! Still waiting on my evaluation to update. (plays Jeopardy music)

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020

Credits Taken
SL - Personal Finance 
AAS Nursing
[-] The following 1 user Likes cwendy111's post:
  • Muldoon
(04-15-2020, 12:01 AM)cwendy111 Wrote:
(04-14-2020, 12:15 PM)LongRoad Wrote:

Good news is that today I exchanged the American Gov't course for Personal Finance and have a grade of 92% post midterm. halfway done! 

Just the boost of confidence I was looking for! Still waiting on my evaluation to update. (plays Jeopardy music)

Way to go! A 92% average is like money in the bank. If future quizzes/tests/papers don't go as well as you'd like, you've got a cushion against failure. Keep up the good work.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LongRoad's post:
  • cwendy111
(04-14-2020, 02:55 AM)cwendy111 Wrote: Venting, apologizing in advance. 

I am lost in an ocean of chaos, frustration and despair. In an effort to get motivated again (and a sense of uncertainty) I decided to shoot my bucket of ACE credits over to TESU, hoping seeing all the new credits on my Evaluation will hype me up again. I am so scattered all over the place right now. In an endless cycle of researching for courses, signing up and abandoning them.

I find myself in an endless search for courses because I am unhappy with the ones I choose, so I keep procrastinating. I am currently somewhere in progress on 4, no 5 classes and am not interested, disciplined or motivated to complete them. Check out the madness below...I understand if you are amused. It is pretty ridiculous.

1-Sophia Statistics has me afraid, so I keep logging off. Signed up since it's free, but my ambition has faltered from fear. I won't get into all the time and resources I have wasted trying to face this fear. It's ridiculous

2-SL American Government is so textbook heavy and monotonous. I ordered the mp3s from Free Clep Prep which helps a little as a break from endless reading and can do other things while it plays. AND I bought the course on ICC as a back up, but I see it's going to be heavy reading, no matter what I do. No escape. 

3- Halfway through Personal Finance IC flashcards. Dropped them about a month ago for no good reason. But no more DSSTs now so I may go for the SL course on this. Will pray it isn't as awful as this American Government course. The syllabus sounds more interactive, so I am hopeful. Will pick it back up as a study resource. I found the subject interesting with useful information. The only thing that stopped me from registering is not hearing from SL customer service to beg for a reduction in price since I wasted my enrollment month and have been charged for the next one with nothing to show for it

4-Registered today for the TECEP Computer Concepts and Applications class and started studying for that today. I know, I know. I should've been taken this one when I took the DSST Computer exam, but thought they duplicated all this time. Silly me

5-ICC Spanish is my latest endeavor because I hadn't realized I get a free class with IC subscription, and currently has most of my attention. Flunked my 1st Quiz and I thought I knew the material. Soooo, back on the hunt I went for more courses and research. At least I didn't go on Twitter. Where I waste way too much time...

Something is wrong with me!!!!!

I am afraid I won't finish anything because I am so all over the place. This trip has gone so long already. HELLLLPPP!!!!!  Cry Cry Cry
Little by little is the way.
Although, if you're procrastinating, there is something deeper at play.

I'm doing my RN to BSN at WGU, and although it hasn't been easy, there's been a lot of support in terms of my program mentors, mental health counseling , and facebook support groups with plenty of tips on how to knock out a course in one week if you needed to. Now I'll be done in about 2-3 months.
Good luck on the rest of your degree, I'm sure you'll be fine
Unfortunately, at TESU all the Nursing courses are traditional online semester type work. But every ouster course I need I’m using alternative credit options. I am a procrastinator naturally, so it’s compounded now. I also realize that I struggle with material I have little prior knowledge of or are heavy textbook intensive. I’m breezing through Personal Finance which I started yesterday because I went through most of the IC cards and life. I couldn’t go WGU because at the time I wasn’t working clinically, so I didn’t qualify. I feel better getting through Personal Finance so quickly. I’ll def be done today. There on to the next one!!

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020

Credits Taken
SL - Personal Finance 
AAS Nursing
I'm not sure how people like to do things and then there are so many ways to get things done. Some like to make a checklist like I do and either run with the easier courses first and work on the harder ones last or vice versa... I would just recommend not doing all of them at once, it's hard to juggle them all. I would recommend doing one course at a time at max two if one of them gets really boring or dry...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Grown-Ups Are Losing It LevelUP 1 707 03-14-2022, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  GAO 33% Students transfer losing 43% of Credits...... Life Long Learning 6 1,788 07-17-2019, 12:08 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Newbie Here looking to focus on TESOL in the future ndelco 10 1,751 06-27-2016, 10:52 PM
Last Post: ndelco
  Blackboard losing clients Exfactor 5 1,015 09-06-2015, 09:52 AM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Suggestions for a area of focus in Psychology marquardt21 5 853 05-18-2014, 12:17 PM
Last Post: NAP
  College Degree with Wilderness Survival Focus nleamons 13 2,048 03-16-2014, 06:08 AM
Last Post: morig
  Psychology courses and exams for Excelsior focus skybirds 1 563 10-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  More help, with focus Lyanne 5 1,063 05-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  Suffering through College Comp - losing momentum operalady 4 1,140 01-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Last Post: operalady
  Penn foster losing ACE? perriquit 1 906 08-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Last Post: rickyjo