Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low cost ACE reviewed history courses from Shmoop.com
I have been trying to decide what to use for US History for my son this year, which is his senior year in high school. He is doing 7 hours of Dual enrollment and a challenging Physics class through our homeschool co-op, so I was looking for something that was not book based, and had soft, not hard deadlines. This looks very engaging and exactly what I am looking for. Even better, he can get another course on his ACE transcript. I will definitely provide feedback! Thank You for the information!
I signed my son up for the 24 hour free trial at Shmoop.com today and we took a good look at all three of the ACE approved History classes. I was under the impression from my first look that the classes would be video based. They are not. It is online reading. We did some reading and I had Josh take a couple of the quizzes to see how they were. The quizzes do not count toward your grade. I will describe how each of the courses is set up. One cool thing is that you can retake each test and the final one time each.

US History 1492-1877
There are 155 total lessons
12 Unit Tests and 1 Final
Each Test is worth 7.4% of your grade and the Final is worth 18.5%

US History 1877 - present
There are 154 total lessons
14 Unit Tests and 1 Final
Each test is worth 6.5% of your grade and the final is worth 16%

Modern European History
There are 159 total lessons
There are 11 Unit Tests and 1 Final
Each Test is 8% of your grade and the Final is 20%

I hope this information helps someone. The cost for 1 month of shmoop.com is $24.68. Or you can subscribe for 6 months for $90 or 12 Months for $150. There are many other classes offered besides the 3 ACE approved classes. They have an essay writing lab that looks awesome and a Research Paper class I am also considering for my son. Overall, this is a very cool resource.
I signed up for this service and just took the first quiz for US History 1492-1877. I like the format of it, and the content is very well written and funny. I read a ton of textbooks, and it's usually pretty dry, even for a guy like me who likes reading textbooks. This site does a good job of making the stories conversational, memorable and funny.

The quizzes are non-proctored, and you're only supposed to use their material (honor code). I will say the quiz is very manageable, and written clearly with no attempt to trick the test taker. Overall I like this alot, and plan to complete atleast the class I started (or more if I have time in a month). This is definitely hard to beat for the price.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
KayV Wrote:I will say, I wouldn't be surprised if Modern European History transcribed as HIS-102 Western Civilization II at TESU.

The title reads like an upper level course. It would be awesome if it was upper level. That's where there is limited sources at.

What is the ACE recommendation?

EDIT: Nevermind, just answered my own question.

"In the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 3 semester hours in modern european history (6/16)."
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
The reason I think it's equal to Western Civilization II is the amount of overlap in the syllabi.
I hope I'm wrong, though, because I found this in the TESU PLA database:
European History II   (HIS-221)   3.00 s.h.  
Covers major political, economic, social, and cultural developments in Europe and the West from 1715 to the present.

I would LOVE to see more Shmoop in the ACE pantheon.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Before we cancelled our 24 hour trial last night, I had my son take the first unit test in US History 1492-1877 because we were both curious how the exams were set up. He had not had a chance to thouroughly cover the material but you can retake each test once. He was given one hour to take the exam and a clock counted down the time in the corner of the screen. There were twenty questions on the test. It was not overly easy but was manageable. He scored a 70% after only spending an hour or two on the material. He did decide that this is what he wants to use for American History. We will probably subscribe for six months for $90 and will plan for him to take both US History classes and we will use some of their other resources as well. He wants to wait to begin until he gets settled into his Dual Enrollment courses, perhaps in mid September. I look forward to hearing how other people like it as well.
Prloko Wrote:The title reads like an upper level course. It would be awesome if it was upper level. That's where there is limited sources at.

What is the ACE recommendation?

EDIT: Nevermind, just answered my own question.

"In the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 3 semester hours in modern european history (6/16)."

KayV Wrote:The reason I think it's equal to Western Civilization II is the amount of overlap in the syllabi.
I hope I'm wrong, though, because I found this in the TESU PLA database:
European History II   (HIS-221)   3.00 s.h.  
Covers major political, economic, social, and cultural developments in Europe and the West from 1715 to the present.

My thoughts too! Definitely would be helpful to have more UL ACE approved course options!
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
yes.... but

Just because it is ACE approved, doesn't necessarily mean that a particular college will accept it, correct?

Some of you that enjoy this stuff need to send it into the Big 3 and see how they parse it.

I'd jump on it, but I'd be afraid to go through all that, and then no one really accept it. Maybe as free electives?

Maybe I'm paranoid... lol
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

High_Order1 Wrote:yes.... but

Just because it is ACE approved, doesn't necessarily mean that a particular college will accept it, correct?

Some of you that enjoy this stuff need to send it into the Big 3 and see how they parse it.

I'd jump on it, but I'd be afraid to go through all that, and then no one really accept it. Maybe as free electives?

Maybe I'm paranoid... lol

That is correct, but i'd be shocked if at least the two US history courses weren't accepted at TESU. They align almost exactly with US History 1 and 2. Other schools outside the Big 3 will vary greatly as you said. I'll send mine to TESU once it's complete to see how they evaluate it.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
High_Order1 Wrote:Just because it is ACE approved, doesn't necessarily mean that a particular college will accept it, correct?

While this is absolutely true, it's much less of a risk for The Big 3. It's all but guaranteed that they'll at least take the credit as a free elective, but it's more likely they'll accept it as recommended by ACE (as in, as history credit), give or take it's upper/lower level designation.

We don't know how it will come in yet, but it's not like this is a high risk/high cost gamble.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,300 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 213 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 882 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 690 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,447 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,805 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,036 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 575 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 328 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM