Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAOL Expectations and Questions
I keep getting a lot of PMs asking how much work there is in the MAOL and whether or not I recommend it. Please see the following to my answers before you PM mea gain! I had to delete over 500 PMs and y'all filled it up in a week again lol <3. 

Can I do it all in one term?
No humanly possible way. 

I work full time and am a single parent, how fast can I do this?
If you want to stay sane, 1 class a term.

How much writing is there for the milestones?
- 12 milestones per class.
- 5 pages per milestone on average. 
60 pages of milestones essays, all academically cited.

What about the final? 
- 15-20 pages for the most part.
- 15-20 slide PowerPoint as well.
- Voice Recording, Video, or a Creative Visual is often needed.

How strict are the milestones?
Strict. If they're not perfect, you cannot move on. 

Is the content relevant?
Yes.

How much reading is there? 
Average of around 48 learning activities, each with multiple videos and or articles to read. The average I've seen has around 2 journal articles (of 10 pages each) and up to 5 videos.

Is the grading strict?
Yes. They're tougher than the undergrad. 

I took class X in the undergrad, how different is the master's class of it?
Expect to do 10 times the work you did in undergrad. 

Pacing
Keep in mind, in the undergraduate program, I was able to do 13 classes in ONE session and I took every weekend off, worked full time, was taking chemo. In the Master's I struggled to get 3 done and always barely made the deadlines. 2 would've been a lot of work, but, a lot of sleepless nights working full time.

I want to sleep any advice while working?
Look elsewhere. If you insist on UMPI take only 1 class at a time. It'd take you 12 terms/2 years.

Class Design
The classes were designed for a 12 week course, but UMPI is 7 weeks. So keep that in mind. 

Are there drafts?
No. You get ONE attempt. If you fail it, you FAIL THE ENTIRE PROGRAM.

Should I do my Master's at UMPI?
Honestly. I don't recommend this. It's been a chaotic mess. The content constantly repeats itself, broken links, broken connections. I'm getting ignored when I'm asking for help with broken milestones and more. This has slowed my pace considerably.
[-] The following 8 users Like ashkir's post:
  • dfrecore, jch, letterchaser202, NoStudentNoCry, Novo, sks972, ss20ts, varJosh
"Should I do my Master's at UMPI?
Honestly. I don't recommend this. It's been a chaotic mess. The content constantly repeats itself, broken links, broken connections. I'm getting ignored when I'm asking for help with broken milestones and more. This has slowed my pace considerably."

So helpful. Thank you!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jadkins77's post:
  • varJosh
(10-02-2021, 11:34 AM)jadkins77 Wrote: "Should I do my Master's at UMPI?
Honestly. I don't recommend this. It's been a chaotic mess. The content constantly repeats itself, broken links, broken connections. I'm getting ignored when I'm asking for help with broken milestones and more. This has slowed my pace considerably."

So helpful. Thank you!

Yeah! It makes me a bit sad, how messy and bad it is. I really enjoyed and do recommend their undergrad degree for sure.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • Novo
I hate to say this, but I'm glad I decided against the MAOL and wasn't the guinea pig for this degree. It sounds like complete nightmare. I'm also glad I decided against Brandman/UMass Global. When the enrollment counselor told me there was no way to complete the degree in 6 months, I was surprised. He said a year is very rare and to really plan on 2 years. I see why now! I don't think I would have stuck with it this long! I'm still happy about my decision to go with WGU. Haven't started yet, but I'm confident I'll be able to complete the MSML and MBA in a year there.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • ashkir, Novo
(10-02-2021, 03:40 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I hate to say this, but I'm glad I decided against the MAOL and wasn't the guinea pig for this degree. It sounds like complete nightmare. I'm also glad I decided against Brandman/UMass Global. When the enrollment counselor told me there was no way to complete the degree in 6 months, I was surprised. He said a year is very rare and to really plan on 2 years. I see why now! I don't think I would have stuck with it this long! I'm still happy about my decision to go with WGU. Haven't started yet, but I'm confident I'll be able to complete the MSML and MBA in a year there.

I'm glad you did, honestly, and I'm glad you're now focusing on a major you want as well. I only considered this degree because of my great experience at UMPI. The professors are great, but, the content is just not there yet. I considered Brandman until you told me about the 6 month thing because I didn't want to spend a full year on this. I kind of regret not going to Brandman since the course content is identical, because with Brandman, I know the assignments and milestones are identical and I would have more time to do these instead of being so rushed, and having mixed up content and broken links and instructions to use Chapman/Brandman resources (a large number of links require a Brandman login). 

I think WGU would be great for you.

I hope my experience helps make this program better for UMPI and lets you all avoid a nightmare.
[-] The following 3 users Like ashkir's post:
  • jch, Novo, ss20ts
(10-02-2021, 09:49 PM)ashkir Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 03:40 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I hate to say this, but I'm glad I decided against the MAOL and wasn't the guinea pig for this degree. It sounds like complete nightmare. I'm also glad I decided against Brandman/UMass Global. When the enrollment counselor told me there was no way to complete the degree in 6 months, I was surprised. He said a year is very rare and to really plan on 2 years. I see why now! I don't think I would have stuck with it this long! I'm still happy about my decision to go with WGU. Haven't started yet, but I'm confident I'll be able to complete the MSML and MBA in a year there.

I'm glad you did, honestly, and I'm glad you're now focusing on a major you want as well. I only considered this degree because of my great experience at UMPI. The professors are great, but, the content is just not there yet. I considered Brandman until you told me about the 6 month thing because I didn't want to spend a full year on this. I kind of regret not going to Brandman since the course content is identical, because with Brandman, I know the assignments and milestones are identical and I would have more time to do these instead of being so rushed, and having mixed up content and broken links and instructions to use Chapman/Brandman resources (a large number of links require a Brandman login). 

I think WGU would be great for you.

I hope my experience helps make this program better for UMPI and lets you all avoid a nightmare.

This whole thing still makes me sad. I LOVE UMPI. I didn't expect the MAOL to be anything like it is. It REALLY needs a lot of work as we've discussed privately. I really hope the administration listens to you and does some serious overhauling. Otherwise, I fear that few people will complete it and the graduation rate will be terrible.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Novo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions regarding international admissions. kjhkjh2001 11 469 03-19-2024, 07:44 AM
Last Post: ishady
  Questions about course selection beikaRAY 2 180 03-01-2024, 12:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BLS PM - Changing Major - Questions Gijaodola 6 503 02-26-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Smile BAS UMPI Degree Planning Questions Chimera 6 562 02-25-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  MAOL Roll Call ashkir 84 9,879 02-25-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Finished MAOL! (Great experience!) larabell 28 3,892 02-21-2024, 01:31 PM
Last Post: ED TO CYBERTECH
  radicallena - UMPI Questions radicallena 14 1,926 01-04-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  UMPI Transfer Credit Questions Cb1818c 2 496 12-02-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Ncerva
  Bus 343 questions Sara143 17 1,028 11-20-2023, 11:30 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  MAOL admissions after finishing YourPace undergrad Junco 6 493 11-12-2023, 07:38 PM
Last Post: Junco