Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MBA Alt Credit
Are there any graduate level sources of alt credit in the business space?  I've seen that a few programs allow transfer credit into MBA programs but my assumption is that it likely comes from another university and not study.com for example.
When I begin my MBA, I did not find alt credit sources for grad students. Transfer credit is typically from one school to another when it comes to grad studies.
(05-14-2023, 04:01 PM)ss20ts Wrote: When I begin my MBA, I did not find alt credit sources for grad students. Transfer credit is typically from one school to another when it comes to grad studies.

That's what I've found so far as well.  I'd love to save some cash and time with alt credit.  So far I've self-funded my collegiate studies so I'm always looking for a way to save a buck or three.
What school to you plan to get your MBA from? An MBA from ENEB may provide transferable credit for a US-based MBA from an RA school.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-14-2023, 04:13 PM)joshua27 Wrote:
(05-14-2023, 04:01 PM)ss20ts Wrote: When I begin my MBA, I did not find alt credit sources for grad students. Transfer credit is typically from one school to another when it comes to grad studies.

That's what I've found so far as well.  I'd love to save some cash and time with alt credit.  So far I've self-funded my collegiate studies so I'm always looking for a way to save a buck or three.

There are very few sources for alternative graduate level credits, and the few that there are don't fit for an MBA - and even fewer schools that take them, and those that do (non-MBA) would have remaining coures required that would cost far more than anything we'd recommend here. With that said, a MBA with a quick and lower cost option is what you're after then a competency-based program like WGU is probably your best bet. By the time you'd get through an alternative credit option you could be through a course(s) in such a program. If lower cost and you want to work it one course at a time then you might want to look at HAU's program ($3k for those in the US, and also reported for Canada). I have a family member who went with HAU and the ROI has been amazing. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersity-HAU
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(05-14-2023, 05:01 PM)allvia Wrote:

There are very few sources for alternative graduate level credits, and the few that there are don't fit for an MBA - and even fewer schools that take them, and those that do (non-MBA) would have remaining coures required that would cost far more than anything we'd recommend here. With that said, a MBA with a quick and lower cost option is what you're after then a competency-based program like WGU is probably your best bet. By the time you'd get through an alternative credit option you could be through a course(s) in such a program. If lower cost and you want to work it one course at a time then you might want to look at HAU's program ($3k for those in the US, and also reported for Canada). I have a family member who went with HAU and the ROI has been amazing.  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersity-HAU

HAU has a great price but lacks any business accreditation so it's a no from me.  When I say afforable for self pay I'm meaning more like $10-15k.  Right now I'm looking at Georgia Southwestern, LSU-S, SOSU and a few others.  The alt credit was just something I was curious about while I wait for the fall.
(05-14-2023, 05:45 PM)joshua27 Wrote:

There are very few sources for alternative graduate level credits, and the few that there are don't fit for an MBA - and even fewer schools that take them, and those that do (non-MBA) would have remaining coures required that would cost far more than anything we'd recommend here. With that said, a MBA with a quick and lower cost option is what you're after then a competency-based program like WGU is probably your best bet. By the time you'd get through an alternative credit option you could be through a course(s) in such a program. If lower cost and you want to work it one course at a time then you might want to look at HAU's program ($3k for those in the US, and also reported for Canada). I have a family member who went with HAU and the ROI has been amazing.  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersity-HAU

HAU has a great price but lacks any business accreditation so it's a no from me.  When I say afforable for self pay I'm meaning more like $10-15k.  Right now I'm looking at Georgia Southwestern, LSU-S, SOSU and a few others.  The alt credit was just something I was curious about while I wait for the fall.

As you are deciding on a program, here are some possibilities...

1.  ASU has the 100 million learners program.  It offers 15 credits at no cost other than a transcript cost at the end.  Since the program is new and still rolling out, it is not clear exactly how any other school will transfer them in, but it should at least partially fit somewhere. But probably not by Fall.  https://thunderbird.asu.edu/lifelong-lea...n-learners

2.  Don't forget to look into employer reimbursement.  I almost overlooked this option.  My workplace only offers $1,500 a year, but it's better than nothing.

3.  You *might* be able to pick up a few classes at ACE as a student at large.  Their MBA is around $10,000.  And individual classes aren't terribly expensive compared to some other schools. https://ace.edu/program/masters-of-busin...istration/

4.  If you happen to be military, veteran, first responder or spouse, there are a lot of schools that offer a decent discount or free scholarship.  (Waldorf, Columbia Southern, Grantham, just to name a few)

5.  If you can access any type of discount portal, see what is there.  It could include tuition discounts.  (Perkspot, BenefitHub, Lifemart, etc). I have seen these portals with workplaces, unions, health insurance, alumni associations, etc.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vle045's post:
  • inoele

I completed my MBA at Southeastern Oklahoma State University back in 2019. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
(05-14-2023, 09:25 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote:

I completed my MBA at Southeastern Oklahoma State University back in 2019. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.

Thank you ThatBankDude.  I sent you a PM with a few questions.

The schools you mentioned (at least GA SW and LSU-S) are AACSB accredited.  I believe it’s the case (someone correct me if they know better) that the AACSB has either rules or model guidelines for its schools that require/recommend limiting transfers both in quantity and to other AACSB accredited schools for graduate degrees. All that to say, if you found alt credits that would fit an MBA degree plan, I don’t think those schools would be likely to accept the credits.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 711 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,865 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Transferring graduate credit from UofPeople Quackerz 8 701 01-16-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  ENEB transfer credit to Universidad Azteca/UCN and others Kalas 14 2,603 10-06-2023, 09:28 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  UCMO: Online MS Occupational Safety Management 30-36 credit, $11.8K-$14.2K bjcheung77 6 818 05-18-2023, 09:04 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Masters in less than 30 credit hours? spohara 25 3,038 03-08-2023, 08:03 PM
  Valley City State University (ND): Ed2Go Graduate PD Credit=$125 eriehiker 7 1,735 12-03-2022, 03:24 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  WGU - Non-Credit Certificate? sanantone 0 632 07-19-2022, 12:54 PM
  Cheap VESi CEU (Continuing Education) Graduate Credit for $62 per Credit from UMPI ashkir 8 1,892 04-23-2022, 01:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Credit by Exam in Full Sail Business MS Programs Jonathan Whatley 8 1,182 03-05-2022, 07:32 PM
Last Post: ss20ts