Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MBA Programs Walden vs WGU vs Capella
Hi all, 

I received my undergrad degree last December from UMPI (BA liberal studies, acct minor) and have been researching MBA programs. I've searched through multiple threads but cannot really find current information regarding the MBA Walden Tempo program. If you are currently in the program or have recently completed the program, please provide any insight. I'd also love to hear feedback for any of the other online MBA programs. 

- What was your total cost?
- What was your average completion time per course? 
- How was each course/competency in terms of work load and study time? 
- Would you recommend the program?
[-] The following 2 users Like blahblahblah88's post:
  • Life_One, OTmina
(02-15-2023, 12:21 PM)blahblahblah88 Wrote: I received my undergrad degree last December from UMPI (BA liberal studies, acct minor) and have been researching MBA programs. I've searched through multiple threads but cannot really find current information regarding the MBA Walden Tempo program. If you are currently in the program or have recently completed the program, please provide any insight. I'd also love to hear feedback for any of the other online MBA programs. 

- What was your total cost?
- What was your average completion time per course? 
- How was each course/competency in terms of work load and study time? 
- Would you recommend the program?

Did you ever chose a program? If so, how's it going?

I tried the Walden tempo learning program.  If you did umpi in a short period of time, it might work well for you.  I have to go slower, so it would end up very expensive for me. I chose the Jwmi MBA at strayer because it was the best bang for the buck with my employer discount and reimbursement option. As an added bonus, it's a great program and I love it so far.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vle045's post:
  • origamishuttle
Essentially, if you're residing in one of the states that WGU is endorsed, that would be your first option. Capella or Walden would come in a distant second. If money is a concern, or you don't mind having professional or secondary accreditation, or you need a non CBE option then the HAU option would be my choice for those who don't want competency based education.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle
I mostly agree with Bjcheung77. I would say to go for WGU unless one of two things is true. Either one, business programmatic accreditation does not matter to you... in which case I would go with Hellenic American University. Or, two, if you want programmatic accreditation but want a specialization not offered at WGU. I got the first term at Walden free. I then took a number of transfer classes from other cheaper sources. The Walden MBA will cost me just over $8k on Tempo, but that's also because I took one extra course, otherwise it would be just below $8K.

The one thing I'm not thrilled about with Walden is how much reading the tempo program has. Most other schools have more videos and slide shows. I will use screen readers sometimes listen rather than trying to read it all, but then there's the annoying issue of listening to the page headers and footers being read out loud too. Also probably the teacher that I've had that was the most difficult was at Walden. I read a report that generally speaking the students that do the Tempo program receive one grade level below what typical class students receive. I am carrying a 4.0 GPA but the first class I just barely got through with an a from the teacher at Walden. I feel like I also motivated me though to take some transfer classes to be able to maintain a good GPA.

I should have been able to do two classes during the first term on Tempo but I had numerous surgeries that I went through in that term. Based on the classes I've done at other schools though I now think I should be able to finish two classes per Tempo term. I'm sure there's students who could go faster than I could but I'm also dealing with health issues.

I would still recommend the Walden MBA but only if you want an obscure specialization that you are having a hard time finding. Walden allows for the self-designed specialization. So far it's looking like even though I took classes at other schools they're going to let me continue on the Tempo track... Essentially allowing me to do a self-designed specialization (completing the specialty classes at different schools) without having to take the standard track courses that are more expensive.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
[-] The following 1 user Likes SweetSecret's post:
  • origamishuttle
(05-26-2023, 05:20 AM)SweetSecret Wrote: I mostly agree with Bjcheung77. I would say to go for WGU unless one of two things is true. Either one, business programmatic accreditation does not matter to you... in which case I would go with Hellenic American University. Or, two, if you want programmatic accreditation but want a specialization not offered at WGU. I got the first term at Walden free. I then took a number of transfer classes from other cheaper sources. The Walden MBA will cost me just over $8k on Tempo, but that's also because I took one extra course, otherwise it would be just below $8K.

The one thing I'm not thrilled about with Walden is how much reading the tempo program has. Most other schools have more videos and slide shows. I will use screen readers sometimes listen rather than trying to read it all, but then there's the annoying issue of listening to the page headers and footers being read out loud too. Also probably the teacher that I've had that was the most difficult was at Walden. I read a report that generally speaking the students that do the Tempo program receive one grade level below what typical class students receive. I am carrying a 4.0 GPA but the first class I just barely got through with an a from the teacher at Walden. I feel like I also motivated me though to take some transfer classes to be able to maintain a good GPA.

I should have been able to do two classes during the first term on Tempo but I had numerous surgeries that I went through in that term. Based on the classes I've done at other schools though I now think I should be able to finish two classes per Tempo term. I'm sure there's students who could go faster than I could but I'm also dealing with health issues.

I would still recommend the Walden MBA but only if you want an obscure specialization that you are having a hard time finding. Walden allows for the self-designed specialization. So far it's looking like even though I took classes at other schools they're going to let me continue on the Tempo track... Essentially allowing me to do a self-designed specialization (completing the specialty classes at different schools) without having to take the standard track courses that are more expensive.

Hello. I'm brand new here so I apologize for resurrecting this thread. But you mentioned transfer for the Walden Tempo MBA. Can you tell me more of what you know about transferring courses into that program? I've got 18 MBA credits from another school (Northeastern) but I am looking to bring as many of them as I can into a potential new MBA program. I would also prefer CBE, so this caught my eye. I'm looking at other options too but that's for a different thread.

Cheers
(07-07-2023, 04:13 PM)EverSpinning Wrote: Hello. I'm brand new here so I apologize for resurrecting this thread. But you mentioned transfer for the Walden Tempo MBA. Can you tell me more of what you know about transferring courses into that program? I've got 18 MBA credits from another school (Northeastern) but I am looking to bring as many of them as I can into a potential new MBA program. I would also prefer CBE, so this caught my eye. I'm looking at other options too but that's for a different thread.

Cheers

Walden is not super picky about transfer credits. The school you transfer from needs to be CHEA accredited, which most are since CHEA covers both regional accreditation and accreditation like DEAC. Walden will only accept up to 50% of credits as transfer credits. Through a series of bad events I ended up with 18 transfer credits as well but I can only transfer in 15. You would need to have a credit valuation done by them probably after you apply but most of the core courses would be likely to transfer. I had a pre-transfer evaluation done and was told two classes would not transfer but then later on was told that they would. Now they're saying that they aren't because it would be an elective but the basic competency based MBA doesn't have any elective credits. I'm going to try and work with them on that but I might switch programs into the fast track. I want to do as much as I can on the competency based though. I just re-enrolled and if I can finish three competencies this term then I would only need one class in the fast track if they let me use the electives even without the extra three credits from the course I didn't need but got roped into taking with a friend. I would say if you're interested go ahead and apply.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(07-08-2023, 03:51 AM)SweetSecret Wrote:
(07-07-2023, 04:13 PM)EverSpinning Wrote: Hello. I'm brand new here so I apologize for resurrecting this thread. But you mentioned transfer for the Walden Tempo MBA. Can you tell me more of what you know about transferring courses into that program? I've got 18 MBA credits from another school (Northeastern) but I am looking to bring as many of them as I can into a potential new MBA program. I would also prefer CBE, so this caught my eye. I'm looking at other options too but that's for a different thread.

Cheers

Walden is not super picky about transfer credits. The school you transfer from needs to be CHEA accredited, which most are since CHEA covers both regional accreditation and accreditation like DEAC. Walden will only accept up to 50% of credits as transfer credits. Through a series of bad events I ended up with 18 transfer credits as well but I can only transfer in 15. You would need to have a credit valuation done by them probably after you apply but most of the core courses would be likely to transfer. I had a pre-transfer evaluation done and was told two classes would not transfer but then later on was told that they would. Now they're saying that they aren't because it would be an elective but the basic competency based MBA doesn't have any elective credits. I'm going to try and work with them on that but I might switch programs into the fast track. I want to do as much as I can on the competency based though. I just re-enrolled and if I can finish three competencies this term then I would only need one class in the fast track if they let me use the electives even without the extra three credits from the course I didn't need but got roped into taking with a friend. I would say if you're interested go ahead and apply.
Hey, thanks for the insight!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 31 18,440 3 hours ago
Last Post: walruspanda
  New Data Analytics Programs ss20ts 12 629 04-19-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 30 25,390 04-16-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: dutchdragon
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 507 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  Open University Malaysia has PhD programs below 10k USD nyvrem 2 443 02-19-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: armado
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 631 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Walden university richlyblessed 7 1,412 01-02-2024, 09:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missouri University now has 100% online master's programs LevelUP 9 1,683 11-05-2023, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Masters-level CBE programs EverSpinning 5 1,504 10-11-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Any Master programs similar to UMPI? Ebroady23 6 1,389 10-04-2023, 04:25 PM
Last Post: xspect