Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MS IT/CS - Geo Tech vs UTA vs PUG
Hi All, 

What is your thoughts/opinions  around MS in IT or CS from Georgia Tech or University of Texas at Austin (UTA) or Purdue University Global (PUG)?
I will be getting my bachelor from PUG soon. And working towards my master's plan. Hence, evaluating all the options. 

I am aware of PUG and trying to understand more about Georgia Tech and UTA. 

My first preference is still PUG. 

Any insight would help me to decide where to go.
I know getting an MSCS from UTA or GA Tech will be very rigorous and challenging. Doing an undergrad IT degree from PUG won't give you a strong enough CS foundation for that unless you're doing a lot more programming/CS studies outside of your undergrad.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I have 15 + years development experience in Java & Python

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
(11-12-2021, 05:15 PM)NewatTESU Wrote: I have 15 +  years development experience in Java & Python

Good to know, wasn't sure about your background.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I have a friend of mine who is doing it from Georgia Tech and as per him, the course is very scattered everywhere (not organized properly) and need to struggle with finding materials. Hence, checking with other people and keeping all options open.

WGU would be the fastest and considering I don't like wasting time, that's what I would do.

Georgia Tech I heard about their OMSCS.  This is mainly for people that have a lot of experience.  If you doing the masters to get a better job/promotion, this would be the wrong reason to do this.  You need a B average to graduate and it's often people struggle to make the average and end up having to take more courses.  If you got lots of time on your hands and want a challenge, maybe this program is for you.

A master's degree is good for a trophy and using it as leverage to get a higher salary.  For the computer field, most of the learning you'll be doing on your own and outside academia.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
NewatTESU Wrote:I have a friend of mine who is doing it from Georgia Tech and as per him, the course is very scattered everywhere (not organized properly) and need to struggle with finding materials. Hence, checking with other people and keeping all options open.

That is because these programs are the "newer" ones on the block using MOOC as a medium, be it Coursera or Edx, both GT and UT-Austin are very good options, but I would still recommend a "one and done" for you.

Since it's your first choice and you've completed your IT undergrad at PUG, stick with them. The reason is you can "jump" to a MSCS or MS Data Analytics/Science after you get the MSIT from PUG.

As mentioned by LevelUP - WGU would be another option, they're also a "one and done" university that I recommend, in this case, since you're into competency based degrees, you can try to "mix and match" with other competency based degrees versus the more tradition MOOC option at GT/UT-Austin. Don't rush yourself, but I believe CBE is more for you as you've got the experience...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thank you all !!

(11-12-2021, 11:09 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
NewatTESU Wrote:I have a friend of mine who is doing it from Georgia Tech and as per him, the course is very scattered everywhere (not organized properly) and need to struggle with finding materials. Hence, checking with other people and keeping all options open.

That is because these programs are the "newer" ones on the block using MOOC as a medium, be it Coursera or Edx, both GT and UT-Austin are very good options, but I would still recommend a "one and done" for you.  

Since it's your first choice and you've completed your IT undergrad at PUG, stick with them.  The reason is you can "jump" to a MSCS or MS Data Analytics/Science after you get the MSIT from PUG.

As mentioned by LevelUP - WGU would be another option, they're also a "one and done" university that I recommend, in this case, since you're into competency based degrees, you can try to "mix and match" with other competency based degrees versus the more tradition MOOC option at GT/UT-Austin.  Don't rush yourself, but I believe CBE is more for you as you've got the experience...

Just curious as to why you recommend doing a msit And then  a mscs ?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coursera Illinois Tech MBA Vle045 8 2,361 03-08-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
Question I would like to know if anyone knows Tech University? Yefren 16 1,714 11-28-2023, 04:02 AM
Last Post: datby98
  Graduate program for ITT tech graduate Phdhopeful 12 2,276 09-20-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accepted into Georgia Tech's Online MSCS program frankc 11 1,635 09-19-2023, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Technical Tech University Jerry123 6 1,176 03-15-2023, 12:13 AM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac
  LSUS MBA VS La Tech MBA gator1873 13 2,809 02-05-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  TECH Universidad Technologica Popestt 30 7,815 01-24-2023, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Eliablive
  ACCEPTED into Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity! jsd 145 43,615 01-11-2023, 05:10 PM
Last Post: 9yeire
  71 year old completes georgia tech online masters in analytics smartdegree 3 988 12-22-2022, 12:54 AM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Georgia Tech OMSCS, OMSA, and OMS Cyber to become even more affordable MNomadic 2 1,017 05-05-2022, 11:48 AM
Last Post: ThatBankDude