Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MSML or Spanish
I just received word from my job that the office will be closed untill 2021. I'l continue to get paid and work from home, but will have a ton of free time. I'll have my BSBA in a month or so from COSC and will be getting a lot of free time back to learn and study

I can do the accelerated MSML from WGU or put work on learning Spanish (i have an elementary vocabulary for spanish), which do you think overall is a more beneficial if you had 6 months of time to study?
Will Spanish bring you any benefit career wise? Pay increase? Will company pay for MSML degree? Will MSML degree further your career?

Personally, I'd do the master's degree because they will help your career over the long run. Spanish may and it may not. Don't know what you do and if Spanish would be beneficial for your job.
Claims adjuster, spanish would be HIGHLY beneficial. Company would pay for most of the MSML
(07-17-2020, 04:19 PM)Clepking100 Wrote: I can do the accelerated MSML from WGU or put work on learning Spanish (i have an elementary vocabulary for spanish), which do you think overall is a more beneficial if you had 6 months of time to study?

That depends on which will provide the most benefit to you. If you work a lot with Spanish speaking people in your work, or it will help you in other areas, that might be a good investment of time. On the other hand, if an MSML will earn you more money or someone else is going to pay for it, then that would probably be the better option. If it were me, I'd go for the MSML.

That said, just to be clear, there is no such thing as an accelerated MSML at WGU. It is the same degree for everyone. FYI, that degree takes 3-4 terms (1.5 to 2 years) for most people to complete at WGU. Yes, it can be completed faster than that by students with sufficient prior knowledge and/or enough free time to dedicate to studying, but the courses are generally a lot harder than undergrad so it isn't easy... especially if you're trying to accelerate.

If you only have 6 months to work on either option, I wouldn't assume that you can complete the entire degree in under 6 months. Given you'll be coming in with a BSBA, and assuming you can dedicate 40+ hours a week to studying, I'd plan for at least two terms and hope for one.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I would like to point out that you can "always" work on your Spanish but you might not always have time to work on another degree. Obviously, the more time you devote to language-learning, the faster you'll become fluent. But even just a few minutes of vocabulary daily is going to be better than nothing at all. In theory, you could do both the MSML and the Spanish at the same time.
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Johann, Merlin, ss20ts
(07-17-2020, 05:06 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I would like to point out that you can "always" work on your Spanish but you might not always have time to work on another degree. Obviously, the more time you devote to language-learning, the faster you'll become fluent. But even just a few minutes of vocabulary daily is going to be better than nothing at all. In theory, you could do both the MSML and the Spanish at the same time.

What Rachel said. 100%. There are many ways of learning a language. Yes, you can get a grammar book, phrase book etc - all good but you need to TALK to people in that language as well. You'll progress quickly that way. The small vocabulary you start with will grow quickest by speaking. Writing in the language is good, too.

You don't need to pay for very much, these days. Free video courses abound - and many more for up to $25 or so. Using what you learn is the key. Relax. You won't necessarily be facing exams, like your degree program. This is a study to be enjoyed. But you'll learn plenty. Tengo fe en usted. (I have faith in you.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Johann's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
I agree Smile
(07-17-2020, 08:31 PM)Johann Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 05:06 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I would like to point out that you can "always" work on your Spanish but you might not always have time to work on another degree. Obviously, the more time you devote to language-learning, the faster you'll become fluent. But even just a few minutes of vocabulary daily is going to be better than nothing at all. In theory, you could do both the MSML and the Spanish at the same time.

What Rachel said. 100%. There are many ways of learning a language. Yes, you can get a grammar book, phrase book etc - all good but you need to TALK to people in that language as well. You'll progress quickly that way. The small vocabulary you start with will grow quickest by speaking. Writing in the language is good, too.

You don't need to pay for very much, these days. Free video courses abound - and many more for up to $25 or so. Using what you learn is the key. Relax. You won't necessarily be facing exams, like your degree program. This is a study to be enjoyed. But you'll learn plenty. Tengo fe en usted. (I have faith in you.)

I agree that speaking is a huge part of learning a language. That was something I wish we had more of in high school Spanish. We learned the book and could read it, but we couldn't speak we or write well. Reading, speaking, and writing all are part of being fluent in a language. I don't see how one could really become fluent in 6 months unless they were immersed in a Spanish speaking community and only spoke Spanish 24/7. It's also one of those things that you need to use on a regular basis or you lose it.

My brother took a semester of German in college. He didn't learn much because of that same problem - you learn the textbook and don't really communicate in the class. Our grandmother is from Germany and speaks, reads, and writes in German. He went over to her house multiple times a week for a few years with his textbook and other books he found to learn German. He can converse in our grandmother's dialect of German. He can read it a bit, but he can't write much which he is ok with. He really learned it to make our grandmother proud that another generation learned her language and could converse with her. She speaks fluent English without an accent even though she came to the US as an adult. That part I have never been able to figure out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
(07-17-2020, 04:19 PM)Clepking100 Wrote: I just received word from my job that the office will be closed untill 2021. I'l continue to get paid and work from home, but will have a ton of free time. I'll have my BSBA in a month or so from COSC and will be getting a lot of free time back to learn and study

I can do the accelerated MSML from WGU or put work on learning Spanish (i have an elementary vocabulary for spanish), which do you think overall is a more beneficial if you had 6 months of time to study?

You can't start WGU until the degree is conferred by COSC. You also need to start Orientation by the 15th of the month. Example.

COSC. It appears COSC only confers degrees three times a year.
August. 31
Dec. 31
May 31

Here is a breakdown for you.

A: Conferred on August 31.
WGU Orientation on Sep. 15
WGU - Course start on Oct. 1.

B: Conferred on Dec. 31.
WGU Orientation on Jan. 15
WGU - Course start on Feb. 1.

Overall point, if your degree isn't conferred for the August 31 date, you wouldn't be able to start WGU until February 1.
(07-18-2020, 02:45 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 04:19 PM)Clepking100 Wrote: I just received word from my job that the office will be closed untill 2021. I'l continue to get paid and work from home, but will have a ton of free time. I'll have my BSBA in a month or so from COSC and will be getting a lot of free time back to learn and study

You can't start WGU until the degree is conferred by COSC. You also need to start Orientation by the 15th of the month. Example.

COSC. It appears COSC only confers degrees three times a year.
August. 31
Dec. 31
May 31

Here is a breakdown for you.

A: Conferred on August 31.
WGU Orientation on Sep. 15
WGU - Course start on Oct. 1.

B: Conferred on Dec. 31.
WGU Orientation on Jan. 15
WGU - Course start on Feb. 1.

Overall point, if your degree isn't conferred for the August 31 date, you wouldn't be able to start WGU until February 1.

It is aug 31st the wgu counselor told me the earliest i can start is oct1

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spanish - Learning website security breach bjcheung77 1 1,095 12-24-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Johann
  Master Propio in Spanish Teaching 19 Euro elcastor21 11 1,024 09-27-2023, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Anyone complete any of these studies? (Mexican/Spanish Propios) bjcheung77 7 1,061 09-20-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 15 1,713 08-06-2023, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Spanish Degree?? splirow 19 1,418 01-17-2023, 10:21 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  What have others used to write the Spanish letters/characters while taking ACTFL? Insert Name 3 623 06-16-2022, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Spanish classes - Study.com bjcheung77 1 821 05-17-2021, 05:15 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  New CLEP coming Fall 2019 - Spanish w/Writing dfrecore 0 1,152 05-26-2019, 11:45 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Straighterline Spanish 1 Amyfaith 5 2,713 03-05-2019, 11:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CLEP Spanish: Best way to learn for someone with ZERO prior knowledge rktwelve 30 7,161 12-23-2018, 08:49 PM
Last Post: cookderosa